How fast is the g5 2.0 dual compared to pc?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by chuckcog, Jan 10, 2004.

1. chuckcog macrumors newbie

Jan 10, 2004
    Springfield MO
    I am thinking about switching to a mac, my question is what would you compare a g5 2.0 dual processor too. Is it equal to a pentium 4 3.0 gig hrtz. I have a pentium 4 1.4 gig hrtz now and would like to at least double my speed.

I am afraid if I switch I might be disappointed with the mac after the newness wears off, unless it is considerably faster. The mac is more money then a pc. The reason I am considering switching is 1. no viruses 2. stable platform 3. better software (finale cut pro)
  2. latergator116 macrumors 68000

Sep 30, 2003
    Providence, RI
    It's kind of hard to compare processor speeds between two totally diferent procesors, but the G5 should definately be faster than your 1.4ghz P4.
  3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    A 1.6GHz G5 would piss all over a 1.4GHz P4 (1st gen P4, 400MHz FSB akaik). The dual 2.0GHz G5 would make it feel like pocket calculator (ok, slight exaggeration). It is vary hard to compare, but, the dual G5 I believe is equal to any high end PC system, and will only get faster when we get a full 64-bit OS.
  4. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Home of Al-Qaida
    The easiest way to compare, IMO, is by running SETI@Home on both systems. It takes an average of 3:10 to complete one unit on my AMD Barton 3200+ (2.2G) w/ 512MB RAM. In contrast, it takes more than 8 hours to complete one unit on my G4 Dual 1.25G w/ 1GB RAM. You could say SETI@Home's optimized for PC.

I'd like to see someone w/ a G5 Dual 2.0G list the average time for a unit completion.
  5. BlueMars macrumors newbie

Dec 2, 2003
    Check out PC Mag's website, and you'll see that in their "Best of..." list for 2003, PC Mag picked for their number one choice in the category of desktop computer the Mac G5 dual 2.0.

I quote from their comments, "Think Macs are slow? The Apple Power Mac G5 has the horsepower to hang with any of the leading Windows PCs. During testing at PC Magazine Labs this fall, it even outperformed the competition in many cases....(etc.)...but the real story is the speed."
  6. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    it really depends on what you are doing.

If you are encoding or doing photoshop work, your powermac will more often than not blow that wintel machine away.

That being said, there are some things were the wintel will excel in, so really its up to you to decide which apps you will use the most because thats where you will see the diff
  7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    From what i have seen the top P4 and the top G5 are about equal depending on the app. they both win and loose on different benches. the key is the OS is not yet a 64 bit Os so its not yet being used to its full potential. on top of that apps are not really yet written for the G5 so though the G5 is about Equal now using older software and a 32 bit os once the new stuff comes out its going to be even faster. Virginia tech didnt build a supercomputer out of G5s because they were slower or cheaper. They built one because the G5 is one Hell of a chip.
  8. yamabushi macrumors 65816

Oct 6, 2003
    This has been said many times before but is worth repeating. The the most common compiler currently used (gcc3.3) doesn't take full advantage of the G5. IBM has compilers in beta that appear to be much better(xlc, xlf). So as new compilers become ready and are used with new software or to recompile older software the G5 should really begin to prove itself. Since compilers for Intel and AMD are very mature already they have less potential to see speed benefits from new compilers. This means that the performance of the dual 2.0 G5 will continue to improve over time while an Intel Pentium 4 3.0 will stay about the same. I would say that on todays current mainstream applications a single 3.0 P4 is in the same league as a single 1.8 G5. In the future a single 3.0 P4 will probably slip quite a bit in comparison and will struggle to keep up with a single 1.6 G5 due to better optimized code.
  9. Mantat macrumors 6502a

Sep 19, 2003
    Montréal (Canada)
    Faster at what?

If you are going to do video editing as you are saying, there is no doupt that the G5 will smoke the others. The reason is simple: Dual processor and FCE/FCP. These software are light years ahead of the competition and you will save not hours but days when working with them instead of crap from the pc world.

That being said, the G5 is about at par with other top of the line intel box. Top of the line here means a computer that cost as much or more. Its totaly false to say that a G5 cost more than a PC, its same price or less (dont buy apple ram) and even better if you are a legit software user and pay licences for all your softwares.

The only place where the PC can be notably faster (10%+) is with games. Why? Games dont use dual proc and are never optimized for mac. Still the G5 will handle all games very well.

If you want a G5, here is a performance advice: get a RAID of Raptor drives. the investment is small and will increase your performence drasticaly.

I would like to conclude by saying that contrary with what computer makers make you believe, speed is the least important factor in productivity with a computer. Good software is the first thing, then its stability and finaly its speed. More than 90% of the time you are working, the computer CPU is idle, so even is a computer is 50% faster than another, you wil only save (at max) 5% of your time. On the other hand, a good software can cut your working time by half and that means gains in productivity up to 45%.

Get the best tool for the job, not what the manufacturer make you beleive you need. Go in a Mac Store and give a shot at FCP and you will see who awesome it is...

If you have more questions or need more info just ask, but first say what you will use the computer for...
  10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    A "RAID" (not sure if you mean RAID 0 or 1 here) of Raptors is no small investment. If you are going to have RAID in a G5, that means 2 drives, since there are only 2 bays that means you need the biggest Raptors you can get, that is the 74GB model. This costs £200 * 2 = £400, I for one wouldn't call this "small" :rolleyes:
  11. Ateazz macrumors newbie

May 26, 2002
    I tested the dual G5 and a Dell "650"
    which has a dual 3.06 xeon.

In most cases the G5 smoked the 650 in most functions.
    When code is optimized the 650 will turn into ashes

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    Don't forget to take into account the other factors beyond simple hardware benchmarks - the OS, and ease of use. OS X is far better than Windows and you will be able to do things faster and be more productive on your Mac simply because it is easier to use - that will make your machine faster right there. There are lots of little factors beyond the raw hardware benchmarks to consider as well.
  13. Mantat macrumors 6502a

Sep 19, 2003
    Montréal (Canada)
    No need to get the biggest Raptor. You can get a 250gig FW800Drive for the 'other stuff'. Or an external FW bay to put the 'old' HD in.

Maybe 'small' is a bad choice of word. Its just that for the price, its the best performance boost one can get.

I have seen a 1.6 G5 beating a single 1.8 and getting close to a 2.0 using these drives in raid (single proc apps of course).
  14. DarthNooR macrumors newbie

Jan 11, 2004
    I have a 2.5Ghz Pentium 4.0 with a fast video card. This machine was on eof the faster about one year ago. It is still quite fast when playin games.
    My Dual 2.0Ghz G5 feels faster, is faster at the games I can play with it (e.g. Halo).
    Overall, I do not think that you could possibly regreat the performance of the G5 for number crunching, or video (I have the 9800 card and find it plenty fast).
    They are a bit more expensive, but well built, and come with a killer OS.

I would recommend getting the dual G5. I do not think that you will regreat it....
  15. cuneglasus macrumors member

Jun 27, 2003
    Optimized for the pc-man thats an understatement! This is a clear warning why running just any software is not a legitimate performance test.
  16. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    Benchmarks, shmenchmarks.

If you want speed, wait a couple of weeks for the impending G5 upgrade (it's gotta be coming soon, right?). Even if it's ONLY 2.2-2.6 GHz, it will be fast. Will it blow away the Opteron or P4 on everything? Probably not. But will it be good for video? Yep. And overall, I have a feeling you'll be happier. FCP is the best video editing program I have ever used (of course, I haven't used Avid much so... grain-of-salt).

If you have the money, load up on RAM and get that new 256 MB Radeon 9800 ATI is about to release, or a Pro card if anyone ever comes out with one. Just keep your PC around, just in case. A G5 compatible Virtual PC is coming, but we don't know when or how good it will be.

And if you hate it, Macs have very good resale value.