Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jerwin

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 13, 2015
I tried booting into my bootcamp partition with virtual box, and am rather disappointed in it's lack of speed. I'm running a 5k imac, with an i5 and 24 gigabytes of ram. It lags, by a noticeable marging Am I missing something?
Screen Shot 1.png

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
It lags, by a noticeable marging Am I missing something?
Yes the idea that virtualization comes at a cost to running the same software on bare metal as they call it when installed directly on a machine. To start with you have generic drivers for the disk I/O, graphics, sound, pretty much everything and then add in the reduced ram available and emulation and you can end up with slow pig of an environment.

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
This is purely subjective, but to me, virtualized Windows seems to run much worse than virtualized Linux, as compared to the bare metal of either. You might try giving the virtual machine a bit more RAM to see if it helps.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I found performance in VB to be inferior to that of Vmware and Parallels. The latter two have done a lot of work on performance and they're both solid. My only experience with VB and windows has been rather negative but that was a few versions ago.

I use virtualbox with linux and that's fast enough, but I'll not use it for windows.

b0fh666

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
south
did you install the virtualbox drivers for everything (display, disk, basesystem, etc) into the windows you are booting? that speeds stuff up.

but I find booting the same windows installation on hardware and VM problematic at best... windows is a bit dumb with its hardware detection and often messes it up.

ajay96

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2013
New York, NY
This is purely subjective, but to me, virtualized Windows seems to run much worse than virtualized Linux, as compared to the bare metal of either. You might try giving the virtual machine a bit more RAM to see if it helps.

Yup, same for me. I can use most Linux based distros fine in VMWare, but Windows tends to lag a lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.