how fast until resellers get inventory for updated machines?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by belf8st, Apr 19, 2004.

1. belf8st macrumors member

Feb 10, 2004
    Just wondering how fast until the authorized apple resellers get updates in? I'm asking because I just purchased a powerbook from amazon 2 weeks ago, but they do have a 30 day no questions ask return policy. thinking about sending my powerbook back and then turning around and purchasing one of the updated machines. I can't be with out a laptop for an extended period of time. Maybe 2 weeks at the most. amazon hasn't updated their site with the new machines, but i did notice club mac and mac mall have plastered their websites with the update information.

thanks for any suggestions.
  2. Bhennies macrumors 6502

Mar 20, 2004
    NYC & Baltimore
    send it back. You shouldn't be stuck without a new one for too long...I doubt demand will outstrip supply. Just a guess.
  3. macguymike macrumors 6502

Mar 28, 2003
    Usually takes about a week or so (give or take) for the gear to start shipping. Depends greatly on local demand how many stay in stock, though, and who you're buying from.
  4. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2003
    appleinsider said there might be some delays on the superdrive emac model due to product testing, but the combo model will be available soon.
  5. belf8st thread starter macrumors member

Feb 10, 2004

I shipped the powerbook back to Amazon this morning. I actually purchased the laptop 15 days ago. Amazon's 30 refund policy is wonderful. They'll reimburse me within 7 days of receiving the shipment. I know that if I had purchased the laptop at the Apple store, I'd be stuck with the purchase. I believe they have a 10 day return poilcy, but will charge 10% if the item has been opened.

I turned right around and purchased the new powerbook combo drive package. Got an estimated ship time of 4/29/2004. Not too bad.

I just couldn't keep the rev b powerbook after apple released the new 12" ibook. I felt like I got burned by about $500 worth - 10Gb on the disk. Can't believe the new ibook is almost identical to the rev b powerbook.