How flawless is Boot Camp?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Astromarine, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Astromarine macrumors newbie

Hi. I'm quite new to this mac thing, but after buying a Macbook for work, I've decided I quite like it. :D

In fact, I like it so much that I decided to buy one of the new Mac Pros as my gaming machine once my current Wintel breaks of becomes inadequate. However, and even though I plan on buying native whenever I can, it's nice to know I have the Boot Camp alternative to play all my dozens of old games, or new ones that come out that I simply must have. So, since I'm a noob, I'm asking here:

Is the whole thing about Bootcamp and Mac gaming as flawless as advertised?If I get a top-of-the-line Mac, install XP2 on it with BC, will it really be just as if I had a PC? No directX problems, no hardware driver issues, nothing at all that might make it "98%" instead of 100% the same?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

2. ColdFlame87 macrumors regular

Boot Camp, as is stated on the Apple website is currently in beta stages, beta meaning that there could be some issues with the software or some bugs that need to get worked out (although it seems to work pretty well for people as it is now) The final supported version of boot camp is set to be released with Apples new OS Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard) when the final version is released most if not all the bugs will be dealt with, but as with any software, issues may occur where something might just not "work" I assure you though that the software is doing a spledid job of running windows natively and being able to run all hardware compatible games and applications, if there are problem they will get fixed as with any other software.

So in all i would recommend getting the Mac Pro its a beautiful machine, and im sure you will be very happy with your purchase :)

3. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I'm actually typing this post from XP on my MacBook. :) XP runs without any problems at all - it's as if I bought a PC with XP on it - it's that seamless. I have no DirectX problems, no viruses (though that's due to my being smart enough not to open links I don't recognize, not downloading files that I am unsure about, etc), and I can play tons of Windows games on here. Obviously not all, because some have too high of system requirements for the MacBook to meet them, but if you're running Windows on a Mac, you won't know the difference between it and a PC.

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Totally seamless; all Boot Camp does is put up a BIOS compatability mode (since Macs don't have a BIOS, but use EFI). Once that is done, Windows XP installs normally like it would on any Intel hardware, and you install drivers for the graphics card and everything else. Absolutely no difference from any other PC.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Two things to add to that:

Bootcamp is also the mechanism for drivers for anything Windows doesn't support out of the box. So areas of potential iffiness are how reliable Apple-specific pieces of hardware like the iSight are.

Second, reports indicate that Vista RC1 supports EFI natively, so that may become a non-issue.

It also seems that Vista supports the vast majority of Apple hardware without special drivers (including apparently fixes for the SATA issues on the Mac Pro in RC1), meaning that Bootcamp becomes an issue purely of the re-partitioning tool and the handful of drivers for things like the iSight that are not natively supported. The rest of the hardware is essentially just Wintel hardware already -- Intel chipsets, and so on.

There's also speculation (I guess this is three :p ) that Leopard will have something more sophisticated than Bootcamp, although what that is is not clear at present....

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Not anymore.
    http://apcmag.com/apc/v3.nsf/0/E666E4A0A303D9AACA25712C008166C4

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

MS had previously stated that EFI support would appear sometime before Vista Server (meaning towards late 2007). But reports indicate that EFI support is indeed in the RC1 of Vista that was released in the past few days. I have no idea what the Vista team considers to be a "release candidate," but if this one indeed has EFI support, it would seem to raise at least the spectre of the possibility that it will be in Vista at release next year.

8. Espionage macrumors newbie

I also have a Macbook and was wondering what tier of games can it not run?

9. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Well, anything that requires a top-notch video card (think most FPS games). Games from a couple years ago, like Sim City 4, Star Wars: Empire at War and the like will run fine, especially if you upgrade the RAM.

10. ceruleanventure macrumors regular

ceruleanventure

I've tried a ton of XP games on my Intel iMac and most work flawlessly (Civ 4 [even with only 512 mb of RAM], Sim City 4, Halo etc) However I have found that some games simply do not want to run on the iMac. These are old, so I doubt that they'll affect you, games that crash frequently were: Sim City 3000 Unlimited, Star Trek Bridge Commander, Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds. I never had problems with these games before on other computers running XP, but I constantly get "Windows has encountered an unexpected error" reports and I experienced a few blue screens of death with some of my older Lucasart's Games. So running XP is nearly perfect, but I still encounter minor issues here and there. I've also noticed that a few games and apps have problems with audio drivers. Civ 4 had many audio problems, but they eventually worked with some tinkering. Btw, I had the newest version of bootcamp and installed all the patches/updates for the games listed above. Long rant, but I hope that it gives you some idea, I say go for it! :)

11. admanimal macrumors 68040

I'd just like to point out that something is either flawless or not. There are no degrees of flawlessness. It's like being dead. Either you are or you aren't.

12. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

My friend uses a basic MacBook and even with the intel integrated graphics he was playing Grand Theft San Andreas at fairly high settings with no slowdowns.
    Inside Mac Games reviewed one of the first MacBook Pro's performance with PC gaming under Boot Camp and the results were very encouraging.