Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bemylover

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
hi guys,

is ipod shuffle the only one that is used in the gym? 1GB is really not enough, i would prefer ipod mini, but i will be using it primarily while jogging and im afraid it will get damaged soon.

thanks for any advice :)

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
in the long run the shuffle will be better for you, trust me, the mini is tough, but its definitely not the best to use for running on a constant basis, but to each their own

Brother Michael

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
interesting because I am having the same iPod problem.

I don't know whether to get a shuffle or a mini or just save a little longer for a regular.

I don't want a 20giger because I want to be using it mostly in the gym.

Mike

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
I have had my mini for a little over a year, and have had no problems, except for one that I had to fix using a hard reset, and that was not long after a software update. Now I don't jog with it, but I don't treat it ultra nice either. At any rate, I reccommend the mini for its durability, but if you are going to run with it constantly, I believe that nothing will be the shuffle. Having said that, the shuffle doesn't offer enough control for me.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
bemylover said:
hi guys,

is ipod shuffle the only one that is used in the gym? 1GB is really not enough, i would prefer ipod mini, but i will be using it primarily while jogging and im afraid it will get damaged soon.

thanks for any advice :)

1GB isn't enough? My god, how long are you at the gym? 1GB holds about 240 songs. That's about 16 hours of tunes.

The iPod shuffle is easily the most durable of all the iPods. I've even heard of someone driving over their shuffle with their car, on purpose, twice, with no ill effects. Try doing that stunt with any other iPod. [Disclaimer: If you do try this yourself, don't blame me when your iPod breaks.]

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
The iPod mini is very tough

My iPod mini fell out of my pocket, snapped off the headphones cord (not in-ears) and went tumbling down almost one floor of a concrete stairwell. Didn't scratch (had the belt clip on), h***, it didn't even stop playing. So (when I regained consciousness after the initial shock and horror ;)) I just picked it up, plugged the headphones back in and listened on... :cool:

unfaded

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2002
Seattle, WA
I've dropped my mini tons of times and it's fine. I recently traded it for a shuffle and actually feel the construction itself of the mini is better. I fear to drop my shuffle.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
I have not had any problems with my iPod Mini rev B since I bought it (have managed to avoid dropping it so far :eek:). Still, just looking at it and owning it I can tell that it is a durable, well built device and should work fine for you. Although, for your situation I agree that you should go with a shuffle for the gym/excercise time and a iPod mini for the rest of the time. Either way you go you will be happy, enjoy your new 'Pod.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
javiercr said:
I think all things apple are fragile (may be the shuffle is the exception?)

Uh huh. Of course you do dear. :rolleyes:

bemylover, I go running with my regular iPod more nights than not. It gets a pretty rough time too, but it's still fine (touch wood :p ).

ecblues

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2005
Actually, running with any ipod scares me

My roommate took several generations of my ipods out constantly on his 10K runs/exercise routines every day, vanishing for 3-4 hours each morning--and each of my ipods would burn out/fail in average 3-4 months.

Of course, my Best Buy warranty used to replace them but this time their newly formed GeekSquad decided to "fix" the last one that broke down (4Gen 40GB ipod). Attempt #1 was unsuccessful, back to BestBuy for attempt #2...

I have no experience with the shuffle--but I would say go for it for longevity, unless you can afford to use greenbacks as candlewicks and tinder

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.