How good are Apple LCD's/Dead Pixels?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by MoparShaha, May 24, 2003.

1. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Soon I'm gonna be looking at getting a new mac, after we all find out what's up SJ's sleeves after WWDC. I don't know what I'm gonna get (PM, PB, iMac.....), but I want to get something with an LCD. I want to know if apple LCD's suffer from a lot of dead pixels. This is the type of thing that would drive me mad/make me stop using the computer. If anyone could tell me what their experience with apple LCD's has been like, and if a lot of apple LCD's suffer from dead pixels, it would help steer me in the right direction.

Thanks

2. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

i my experience dead pixels are pretty good on apple notebooks and the imac.

they are however, a very vocal group who complain incessantly about stuck-on/stuck-off pixels in studio displays.

it is just a gamble because apple won't let you open the box to check. if you buy from a retailer like compUSA or BestBuy (are they stocking mac's yet?) then you can buy a better warranty that might cover the damned pixels.

good luck.

3. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

Tibook G4 here, no dead pixels. and i am pretty obsessive about that.

4. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

I have a PB 12" and previosuly two iBooks - all with no problem pixels. There have been some horror stories on some threads about dead pixels and Apple not doing anything about them. In general I think their quality control standards are buy, but as always - buy at your own risk

5. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-MoparShaha

Dead pixels are a fact of life for LCD's.

Apples has them too, however, Apple's standards are arguably the highest.

6. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

so, paddy (does anybody call you that, ever? no offense if it bugs you ;)), what's the avatar gonna be?

7. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Shadowfax

Thought I'd throw the same thing I use as my OS X Login Icon.

:D

Took me a sec to get it to load.

8. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

not to utterly hijack this thread, but you deserve the moment, methinks. who is it in the avatar? not you, is it? such a stern face, ha. :)

9. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Shadowfax

Yeah, that's me.

Hard to beleive that's the face of a 30-year old huh?

As for earning the right: Thank you, I've been looking forward to it, and I'm glad you noticed.

Scary to think that it was done without gettng involved in the Politics discussions.

10. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-man says.... I have had an iBook and 2 PowerBooks in recent history...not one dead or stuck pixel on any of them. Apple has pretty decent standards...but that standard is not "no dead pixels" (no company can live up to that and keep prices reasonable)....oh yeah!

11. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

I have had problems on 4 different 22" Cinema Displays and a strange oval shaped "ghost" on a Powerbook. Strangely, 15"/17" Studio Displays, 23" Cinema Displays all seem to be perfect. A friend of mine has a single bad pixel on his iMac. I also think the Apple LCD screens age better (meaning brightness, whitepoint, style).

12. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

apple 15" display here... no problems

i think it's just hit or miss.

13. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

i wonder if apple maybe had some issues with those 22 inchers, and that's why they discontinued them.

14. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

i also got the 'tar a day ago. :cool:

15. alset macrumors 65816

alset

16. The Reaper macrumors member

i have a 17 inch studio display (1280 by 1024 pixels) and it has no dead or flawed pixels, or any other faults i can think of. it's a very nice display. however, i recommend at least a 20 inch widescreen, as watching DVDs or doing photoshop stuff (palettes) is restricted on my display. widescreen is the future.

17. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

15" TiBook 1ghz.... One pixel that sometimes get stuck at red when i hit the side of the screen (on accident of course) but it massages right out :D

18. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

2 year old 15" Studio Display here

I have been using a 15" Apple Studio Display for two years now and have not had a single dead pixel on it. The PowerMac it is plugged in to takes its power from an Uninterupted Power Suply and I forbid anyone to touch the screen while they point at something on it. These two factors may be why my display is as good today as the day I bought it.

19. nef919 macrumors member

Just got a 22", none thus far. None on the 17" or the 15" Powerbooks. Same for my previous iBook.

20. reflex macrumors 6502a

I recently got an iBook 700 as my first mac. It has 2 dead pixels. My previous three laptops (one 4 years old, the others less than a year old) didn't have a single dead pixel. Needless to say, I was quite disappointed.

21. nikfel macrumors member

I have had my Powerbook G4 400MHZ REV1 for 2 years now and at first i used to used to take it around with me however now is has become a main desktop computer and is on 24/7 has been so for the majority of a year now. I have never had any problems with dead pixels so far (touch wood). The display is as crisp and bright as the first day I turned it on.

22. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Tazo

Yes, you're right! I meant to congratulate you on it.

Congratulations!

23. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

I was wondering if anyone else ever saw such a thing. My experience has been:

PB520
    PB3400
    iBook 600

as well as knowing others who have

23" cinema display
    G4 PB 500
    G4 PB 867

In all of these I've only ever seen one erant pixel, and that's on my PB3400. Occasionally it spontaneously sticks on red, but I can fix it by squeezin the border of the screen directly above it. I hope that when I get my next PB I'm as lucky as I have been with pixels.

24. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

Well, I'm almost there. Another couple days, with a little luck, and interesting things to post about. And, hey, I've avoided politics, too! :cool:

25. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    TiPowerBook here, first revision model. Not one single pixel problem.

Also, a 4 year old 22" Cinema Display at work...not one single pixel problem.