Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elo

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2003
Pismo PowerBook and iMac G4 - No dead pixels. If you're worried about this, you should avoid LCD displays altogether. Any LCD from any manufacturer can get them and no manufacturer will allow a return for only one or two (this standard would be prohibitively expensive). Apple's standards for displays tend to be higher than those of most other manufacturers (though a couple of others might be equal to Apple in this respect), since Apple specifically targets graphic design professionals.

It's also worth noting that, although the actual incidence of dead or stuck pixels is relatively small for monitors from any (major) manufacturer, the people that have them tend to speak up. Probability strongly favors a particular Apple monitor having no pixel problems.

elo

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by Snowy_River
Well, I'm almost there. Another couple days, with a little luck, and interesting things to post about. And, hey, I've avoided politics, too! :cool:

sounds like you need a dose of geek thread to exponentiate your post count!

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Originally posted by Shadowfax
sounds like you need a dose of geek thread to exponentiate your post count!

Nah, I'm doing okay. Just need to practice a little patience. Last week was kind of busy, and that pulled my post count down. (Not to mention it was a little slow, as far as interesting news is concerned.)

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by job
no dead pixels here....

suckers. i've got a 40lb crt on my desk. ;) :p :D
that makes you lucky. i know people with 90 lb trinitrons on their desks. no dead pixels, but LAN parties are a hell of a workout for them. my own CRT must be at least 50...

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Originally posted by Snowy_River
Well, I'm almost there. Another couple days, with a little luck, and interesting things to post about. And, hey, I've avoided politics, too! :cool:

-Snow

So I see 461 at this post. Hope you're getting your 'tar ready :D

As for politics, there are a lot of stong opinions, some in formed, others not, and most will never be convinced of anything other than what they came to the ediscussion with.

In my opinion, it's a waste of time.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Originally posted by patrick0brien
-Snow

So I see 461 at this post. Hope you're getting your 'tar ready :D

As for politics, there are a lot of stong opinions, some in formed, others not, and most will never be convinced of anything other than what they came to the ediscussion with.

In my opinion, it's a waste of time.

I couldn't agree more. Political discussions need to be entered into carefully, and usually, at least in my experience, don't change people's minds. It takes open minded individuals to have constructive political discussions, and not simply throw arguments back and forth at each other.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by job
fit, athletic geeks?!

whodathought? ;)
i never said they were fit, just that they get a workout moving their monitors. it probably wouldn't be much of one if they really were fit :p

celaurie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2003
Scotland, UK.
Re: How good are Apple LCD's/Dead Pixels?

I've had my iBook since December 2001. My usage is generally quite heavy. So far I have noticed only one dead pixel way up at the top of the screen..

wilhelmd

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2002
Apple PB G3 (Bronze Keyboard): No dead pixels.
600 MHz iBook: Three dead pixels (corners), a fourth dead pixel came back to life when I used my "healing powers".
23" Cinema Display: One red pixel dead-center, and a green one just to the right of my trash-can in the Dock. Healing powers (smudging the pixels with a cloth) did not help.
12" PowerBook: No-one (Thank Bob!)

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
you all know that to check for "stuck" pixels (there are stuck-on and stuck-off pixels) to put a pure black image on your screen, right.

and some stuck pixels can be un-stuck with a bit of gentle rubbing too...

just a couple of tidbits.

----

and i got an avator too, yay!

rt_brained

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2002
Creativille
Bought two iBooks last year. One had three dead pixels, the other had just one.

Bought two Powerbooks a few months ago and zero dead pixels.

As angry as I was about the iBook's dead pixels and the fact that the number didn't pass the magic threshold for Apple to do anything about it, I must say after a while I really didn't pay any notice to them...even with daily use. And I designed on them quite a bit while away from the office.

MoparShaha

Contributor
Original poster
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
Well, I got over my fear of getting dead pixels and bought a 12" PB last month. Glad to report no dead pixels. The whole issue of allowing a certain number of dead pixels is unfortunated, but I guess that's the only way to keep cost down.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
I've got a 12" ibook and a 17" studio display - both without dead pixels (the ibook had a dead logic board but that's a different story:rolleyes: ). Others have worse luck though...iGav has had at least one duff TFT - then again he's a magnet for Apple's Lemons

all-in-my-head

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2003
UK
Got a 20" couple of weeks ago and I have 1 stuck pixel. Only notice it on screen saver and sometimes movies. Its blue - always - but i guess i can live with for now. Can i get it replaced on warrenty?? Might do that just before the year ends on it :)

S

leet1

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2003
Originally posted by all-in-my-head
Can i get it replaced on warrenty?? Might do that just before the year ends on it :)

S

Nope, has to be a certain amount. :(

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
I think LCD screens are silly. to my eyes the quality of a high end CRT will always win.

What makes me laugh is when people say they have an LCD because of the much smaller footprint. HAHA! Would it not be far more practical just to get a larger desk and save a couple hundred with buying a good CRT? Maybe the really high end LCD are great but those ones are so much money that if you went with a CRT instead you could get twice the computer power.

Unless you have money to burn an LCD is not practical at all. I'm speaking in the mindset of a PowerMac user though, an iMac or PowerBook is a totally different story.

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
my dad just got a 20, set it up, and immediately noticed a dead pixel near one of the corners. he took it back to the apple store he bought it from and they gave him a new lcd. dunno.... could just be cuz its marin :D

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
when u buy go to a computer shop and make it a condition of purchace that there ane no dead pixels problem solved

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Originally posted by blue&whiteman
I think LCD screens are silly. to my eyes the quality of a high end CRT will always win.

What makes me laugh is when people say they have an LCD because of the much smaller footprint. HAHA! Would it not be far more practical just to get a larger desk and save a couple hundred with buying a good CRT? Maybe the really high end LCD are great but those ones are so much money that if you went with a CRT instead you could get twice the computer power.

Unless you have money to burn an LCD is not practical at all. I'm speaking in the mindset of a PowerMac user though, an iMac or PowerBook is a totally different story.

Two main reasons I love my LCD...

#1 Its easier on the eyes, no constant refreshing like a CRT to wear out your eyes.

#2 1/4 the power draw of an equivalent size CRT.

And of course I have way more desktop space now, its lighter, and the screener is actually crisper than my trinitron CRT.

Edit - and about 1/6th the weight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.