How good are Aspyr's versions of PC games?

Discussion in 'Games' started by GeneR, Feb 17, 2003.

1. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

I have heard a bit about Aspyr, played their original Tomb Raider game a while back, but then lost interest in video games for quite a while. Now, that I think about it, Apsyr must be doing a pretty good job getting games moved to the Mac. However, I haven't played any for a while, so I was wondering if any gamers here could give me your point of view.

Thanks!

:D

2. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

Re: How good are Aspyr's versions of PC games?

Wow that's a question. I think Aspyr is doing a great job porting to mac. RTCW works greatso did ST:EF. The original Harry potter was an OK game,but so was its pc counterpart. And the ever ocurring sim seriesis good if you like those games

3. GeneR thread starter macrumors 6502a

GeneR

Thanks! That helps!

Thanks! That helps! I can't say I'm going to play video games in the near future (too busy) but I thought it was worth knowing. Sounds like the Mac industry needs more video game developers...

:D

4. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

Re: Thanks! That helps!

You better believe it especially ones as dedicated as aspyr

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Aspyr has moved more great games to the mac then anyone else out there period. If you dont thinks so just go to the website and see. I dont even see a close second by any company outthere. Destineer and macsoft may change this but i doubt it and it will take a while! Here are some of my favorites-RTCW,Nascar 2002,Medal of Honor, 4x4 EVO2. They offer a lot for the mac gamer! The ports are usually of very good quality but we Mac users are finicky. Example port of Nascar does not allow for the painting of your car. PC version has that in it. So that sucked. But all in all whos doing a better job? Macplay has some good stuff and a lot of crap. Aspyr is porting the games that i enjoy and doing a good job but there is ALLWAYS room for improvement.

6. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

i play jedi knight 2 all the time. works great.

7. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

-

yeah im a big fan of aspyr and westlake interactive.

Cant wait for UT2003 though.

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Aspyr has paid for quite a few good game conversions.

Generally, everything works quite well. I have five or so of their games. The only thing that hasn't worked well for me is the Carbon-ized version of Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force Expansion Pack and it just looks as though someone missed the boat entirely with the cinematics. Unfortunately, Aspyr's tech. support fell down as well on this one and will not acknowledge any problem with the game.