How good is a G4 1GHz???

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by RationalDreamer, Dec 27, 2004.

1. RationalDreamer macrumors newbie

Hi, I recently got ahold of a free Powermac G4/450 (gigabit ethernet). I plan to upgrade it and give it to my little brother.

All he'll be doing with the machine is:
    *Browse Web
    *Simple Photoshop manipulation
    *MS Word

With the new G5's all over the place how good does a G4/1000 perform in comparison? Will it run too slow for your average user?

I plan on installing a SONNET ENCORE/ST 1.0Ghz CPU Upgrade Card since it's so cheap at $210 and adding a 512mb SDRAM chip.

With thoes specs will the machine run at a satisfactory speed or should I buy a faster, more expensive CPU and more memory?

I NEED to spend as LITTLE as possible. Yet deliver a usable machine that doesn't choke when multi-tasking.

After the upgrade the machine's specs will be:
    G4 1GHz
    768Mb SDRAM
    16Mb ATI Rage 128 Pro
    20GB HD + 80Gb Hard Drive
    USB 2.0 Card
    DVD/CDRW Drive

**Should I also consider upgrading the video card?

Thanks.

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

for what he wants to do (per your description) it doesnt sound to me like the machine needs upgrading at all... :confused:

3. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Those upgrades are the most I would do for him.

4. Bear macrumors G3

Depending on where we web surfs and what he is doing with Photoshop, the faster cpu could be very needed.

The memory is definitely needed.

And as for the video board, it partially depends on what display will be used with it, but in truth getting one with at least 64MB of RAM will help speed up many operations on the system. Some applications use the videoboard for additional processing.

5. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

I would recommend backing down a bit on the CPU to save some money (maybe 800mhz G4 if they still sell those), and instead add in a cheap Quartz Extreme compatible video card. Having a QE enabled card will give a lot more of a boost in performance than the extra 200mhz from the G4.

6. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

You can get a slightly cheaper G4 1GHz upgrade from OWC, and like someone above said I would look for a Quartz-compatible video card on ebay.

My Dual 533 runs OK for what you mention the machine is used for, but the single 450 could probably use a speed boost.

7. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Are you sure it's a gigabit ethernet model? I don't think it could be. The only gigabit model with a 450 G4 is the Dual 450 (which I had for awhile, and know it well.)

Did the seller metion specifically that it had the gigabit ethernet? You should check into that and ensure it's a single 450 over a dual. If it's a dual by any chance, you might not need to upgrade the processor, and would be better spending the money on maxxing out the RAM and the old video card.

m

8. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

upgrade

looking at your upgraded spces i would say apart from the graphics card nothing needs touching and that macine once done will very rarely choke and keep up with ur bro demads easily

but is the system drive the 80gb and running at 7200rpm cause that will speed things up as well !

go for it

9. RationalDreamer thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your help. I ordered the g4 1ghz, 512mb ram today.

Will order a radeon 9200 128 ddr. in a couple of days.

One more question:
    Now that my brother is moving to Mac OS he has no need for his windows pc. How much should I sell the following pc for?

Shuttle SK41G

Specs:
    512mb DDR 333
    20Gb 7200rpm hd
    8x DVD-rom
    Atlon 2600+
    windows Xp professional with service pack 2.

Will $350 be a reasonable price?... If anyone here wants to buy it and are located in NYC let me know.

Thanks.