Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EssieInc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2016
Ive heard bunch of horror stories where people got their computers back even more damaged! How common is that?

Tell me your experience/story! Did they fix it again? Any advice? What LOCATIONS should I avoid? (US)

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Ive heard bunch of horror stories where people got their computers back even more damaged! How common is that?

Rare. People like to complain.

Tell me your experience/story! Did they fix it again? Any advice? What LOCATIONS should I avoid? (US)

All but one time I've had to take my computer to an Apple Store or an Apple authorized service procider, the issue was addressed and I was happy.

The one time had to do with a frayed MagSafe cable and the store claimed that I damaged it. I called AppleCare and they took care of me.

Fancuku

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2015
PA, USA
My experience is only with Apple directly, not independent shops.
I don't believe it is common at all. People make up stuff on the internet all the time especially when their Mac is out of warranty and they are pissed that they have to pay to get their machine fixed.

I wouldn't worry at all about taking your Mac to an Apple store to have it serviced. Apple is one of the few companies who make it right. I've always had good experiences dealing with Apple.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
My experience is only with Apple directly, not independent shops.
I don't believe it is common at all. People make up stuff on the internet all the time especially when their Mac is out of warranty and they are pissed that they have to pay to get their machine fixed.

I wouldn't worry at all about taking your Mac to an Apple store to have it serviced. Apple is one of the few companies who make it right. I've always had good experiences dealing with Apple.

Yeah I have never had any issues with any device I had that is an Apple device. This is my first Macbook but I have owned or own an iPad, iPod and iPhone and have used their warranty on some of those devices which was my iPhone which was the iPhone 4 which had a blown speaker and the iPod which had a bad battery and both were like brand new devices.

Kevsta26

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2011
USA
I've only gone through the Apple Store before but they had to send my laptop away (early 11 MBP, logic board died) to their repair center (I believe the only one is somewhere in California? I could be wrong). Took like 3 days and then when I got it back it had deep scratches in the lid between the apple and the part you open it. Still have dealt with it since because I didn't notice it right away and now apple won't fix it because I have no proof it's their fault :( oh well, I'm looking forward to a worthwhile upgrade when the redesigned MBP's come out (hopefully soon!)

EssieInc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2016
^so ur saying it ok its bit more damaged as long as something is fixed? :eek:

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010

It's still "better" then what Microsoft OEM's offer like Dell and etc. Depending on the issue they will ship you the item like a hard drive and expect you to fix it yourself even if they offer on the phone help. Most make you pay for shipping as well and shipping a laptop can become expensive because of weight. My msi gaming laptop is like 5-7 pounds and even though they offer a two year warranty which is part of the reason why I bought it they also charge for shipping to them.

The only one I know that offers a good warranty service is ASUS on select laptops according to them where they pay for shipping and even offer accidental warranty coverage free of charge.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013

The same as anything where it has to be shipped and repaired, it could get damaged, so yes take pictures and make sure everything is backed up completely. If it comes back with any issues they'll have to fix it again. They aren't perfect just better than almost anyone else, a sad endictment of other tech companies.

wksj

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2015
It's still "better" then what Microsoft OEM's offer like Dell and etc. Depending on the issue they will ship you the item like a hard drive and expect you to fix it yourself even if they offer on the phone help. Most make you pay for shipping as well and shipping a laptop can become expensive because of weight. My msi gaming laptop is like 5-7 pounds and even though they offer a two year warranty which is part of the reason why I bought it they also charge for shipping to them.

The only one I know that offers a good warranty service is ASUS on select laptops according to them where they pay for shipping and even offer accidental warranty coverage free of charge.

Did you even deal with Dell before? They send a technician to your house and the technician repairs it right there on the spot if it can be repaired. It took 2 days to get my laptop repaired. (Dell still sucks though)

I gave my rMBP to an Apple Store just last month. They took 2 days longer than they promised me, BUT at least they repaired it under warranty even though it was 100% my fault (I accidentally spilled Coke on it, which made the keyboard sticky. So I took it apart, and then washed the whole thing and then let it dry for a day. Everything was fine, except the battery was dead. Apple replaced the whole top housing for free.)

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Did you even deal with Dell before? They send a technician to your house and the technician repairs it right there on the spot if it can be repaired. It took 2 days to get my laptop repaired. (Dell still sucks though)

I gave my rMBP to an Apple Store just last month. They took 2 days longer than they promised me, BUT at least they repaired it under warranty even though it was 100% my fault (I accidentally spilled Coke on it, which made the keyboard sticky. So I took it apart, and then washed the whole thing and then let it dry for a day. Everything was fine, except the battery was dead. Apple replaced the whole top housing for free.)

Yes I have dealt with Dell before and I have "blacklisted" them as a company I will never buy a product from ever again because of their horrible customer service. That service is also something you don't get included in the warranty but something you can pay extra for as a premium service similar to how you pay for Accidental coverage on say an iPhone or whatever. The included warranty Dell offers doesn't include a tech going to your house.

wksj

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2015
Yes I have dealt with Dell before and I have "blacklisted" them as a company I will never buy a product from ever again because of their horrible customer service. That service is also something you don't get included in the warranty but something you can pay extra for as a premium service similar to how you pay for Accidental coverage on say an iPhone or whatever. The included warranty Dell offers doesn't include a tech going to your house.

I hadn't bought any kind of support or extended warranty package, and they sent a technician to my house. It was about 1.5 years ago.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I hadn't bought any kind of support or extended warranty package, and they sent a technician to my house. It was about 1.5 years ago.

This is dell's 1 year limited warranty that's included on the Dell XPS 13

1b6055f356e8b1498513efdcdafe31e5.jpg

This is optional Dell premium support

6e50c5a50bdead40aa99d51aa4ff390c.jpg

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
They changed it then. It is included on my orders from 12/06/2014 and 21/04/2015.
Also, https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201361

I actually was looking at laptops and was looking at the Dell XPS 13 and they still did't offer it on the XPS 13 around mid December. While I blacklisted Dell directly I was thinking of still buying it just because of how thin it was and figured maybe ill give them another shot. Maybe they include it in the model they sold to you but normally the base warranty doesn't offer it at all.

Fancuku

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2015
PA, USA
That kind of warranty is only included on the business class laptops, Latitude and Precision.

thesimplelogic

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2014
I've got to give massive kudos to Apple (I mean, I always have) - but they did a fabulous job of repairing my 2013 15" rMBP in 2015. It's a refurbished model that was bought in December of 2014, and then in Septemberish, maybe later, I noticed one of those tiny irritating little chips in the screen. Now, keep in mind that my refurb model was the top model and cost me about $2500.

Took it into the Apple Store, told me it was completely covered under warranty! Great! Gave it in, part was in stock, should take about 3-7 business days they told me. Very much relieved, because if it wasn't under warranty it would have cost me $1200 (in which, I wouldn't have gotten the chip fixed.)
Received a phone call about 5 days later - the fan ducts on my system weren't working properly so they needed to fix that too, but they had to wait for the part to come in. Again, covered under warranty even though it was only $20 for the part.

Now, they phoned me AGAIN and I had not had my laptop for almost 3 weeks now, and I thought 'yay! finally!' Turns out... no. "We just ran diagnostics and your SSD is coming up as failing, so we'll need to attempt to reinstall the OS and then replace it if it is failing." Turned out it was a hardware issue, so they replaced my SSD (512gb) under warranty also (thank god for warranty!)

Total cost of repairs and labour - $2,699.
Total cost of laptop - $2,499. (not including applecare).

So, yeah. Apple did a pretty great job and I can't complain considering how great they were about keeping me updated and not keeping me in the dark or anything. Honestly, the best customer service I've ever had.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
This is why i will always take a picture before sending it in....

I did this, but realising I could have photographed any MBP and claimed it was mine, I managed to persuade the UPS guy who collected mine yesterday to examine it and sign a form I made that it had no dents or scratches.

EssieInc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2016
I did this, but realising I could have photographed any MBP and claimed it was mine, I managed to persuade the UPS guy who collected mine yesterday to examine it and sign a form I made that it had no dents or scratches.
True :( i hope mine does have defects

thesimplelogic

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2014
Their real cost was not even close the $2,700 because otherwise they would have just given you a new machine ;)
Indeed, we all know how expensive Apple parts are... ;) but regardless of their true cost, if I hadn't have had Applecare or warranty, I would have just purchased a new machine!!

Reactions: EssieInc

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Apple replaced my 2012 rMBP display with bad coating and they asked me to check anything before I leave so l look at my rMBP and found tiny dent on the top keyboard cover they took it back and replaced it no question asked. I'm very impressed with Apple service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.