How good is Halo 2??

Discussion in 'Games' started by AJ Muni, Dec 13, 2005.

1. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

I recently bought an xbox 360, and i have call of duty 2. Its a great game and i love playing it on xbox live. This is the first xbox ive ever owned, and it seems like halo 2 is the game to have. I've never played it b4, or seen it, but many people say its great. I have a chance to buy it used for $25, but im thinking whether i would like it or not. I love shooting games, and playing them online (hence i mentioned CoD 2)...so what ya guys think??

In what way is it so great?? Is it smooth online play?? Good graphics??

2. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

F***ing awesome.

Espically on Live.

Do mute the voices though since they'res a lot of whiny 10-yr old trashtalkers.

3. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Buy it. Download the maps/HDTV patches. Go on Live. Frag. :D

EDIT: Yeah, beware of the kids - to quote Siph0n, "XBL is the only place where a 9yr old has told me to go fsck myself"

EDIT2: Or (just checked it out), use Xai Link

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I thought that was what the Vietnamese girl told Gary Glitter :D :D

p.s (probably makes no sense if your not from the uk)

5. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

DOwnload hdtv patches?? i have the xbox 360, but i dont have an hdtv...should i still download the maps?? and where do i download it?

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Let me be the first to say...

... I didn't like Halo 2. 1 is a much better game to me. the thing that makes Halo good to me is the story, 2 had a much lower quality storyline. The abriter parts are just a pain. the ending will make you cry.

I played online for a bit but found Halo online was terrible compared to 10 people on 4 xbox's all system linked, all nearby, all having fun. I'm just not a fan of online play... or rather it severely pales to LAN play.

Soon as I get my new TV I'm playing through Halo 1 again. one of the greatest shooters I've ever played.

the only reason Halo 2 is good is because its the sequel to a VERY popular game and because it has online play. take those out and its nothing.

7. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Off Live

8. crachoar macrumors 6502a

The best FPS game. Period.

Pick it up for sure.

There are a few things that made me weap - for example - 'Incubus' and 'Breaking Benjamin' being on the soundtrack. That's just not needed. And the last level feels like it should've been a level longer (if that makes sense).

Either way, my favorite 'arcade' FPS and an overall excellent game to play with friends. CTF is the only way to play online.

9. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

I personally hated Halo 2, but then again I never really liked the original either. The level design is boring and repetitive and I never found the story all that interesting. In the first Halo, the level design was so repetitive, I became sick of playing it because the room I was in looked exactly the same as the previous 5. This issue arose probably because MS rushed Halo's release to make the Xbox launch. I was hoping they fixed that issue with the 2nd game, but unfortunately, they never did! Same repetitive levels in Halo 2~

The Halo series is one of the most over rated games i've ever seen. Btw, this is strictly speaking of the single player component. I've never played much of it multiplayer except for Coop.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I really detest people saying that games are "the best, period". you may have loved it but many people didn't.

11. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

I actually have to agree. Halo is amazing and one of the best multiplayer games I have ever played, but!- the single player is a little lacking in my mind. I played through both of them. They are good games but the second one is not quite as interesting. I found the level design kind of repetitive too. Hopefull that is something that they can work out for the third one (if they don't ONLY focus on multiplayer!). It's good, just not as great a single player game as I would have hoped, because another person isn't always around, and I am not going to get Xbox live until I get a 360.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I dont think they will focus on the multiplayer as much. Its like Halo 1 just missed the online boat, but then everything was Live when Halo 2 came out so they made their own version of Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament- a game focused on multiplayer whilst the single player will just have to wait. I can imagine now they have online out of their system that they just might focus on the single player for Halo 3. if its good; i'll buy a 360 just for it. then chip it, make it into a media centre that is just as good as the XBMC and be happy.

13. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

14. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

well i ended up buying it,(got it for $14 brand new) mostly for multuplayer purposes....its real cool but i keep getting my ass kicked...i dont kno which guns are the best, etc.etc. it was my first time EVER playing any type of halo game...i wish it had some sort of tutorial on how to shoot and stuff...i dont even know how to get life when im injured!!!! i guess ill learn...but cuz its all space kinda thing its hard to figure out when youve never played halo b4...

15. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Although it was a solid game, I can comfortably say it was the most over-hyped game ever. It was good, but not "the best game ever" as everyone seemed to be trying to make it out to be. Halo had a richer story line, and this was an area I found Halo 2 to be seriously lacking in. I guess for mindless drones who enjoy just going around "shootin' stuff" and "fragging" it would have been just as good, if not better, but if you want a truly good, well-rounded game with some substance to it, I vote for Halo over Halo 2. :cool:

16. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

if you are totally new to Halo, play through some of the campaign first before playing online to get a feel for the game. There are too many losers and cheaters online to have your first learning experience there. For instance, last night I was modded against 3 times, experienced client stand-by 4 times and met 3 bridgers.

I love cheaters!

THEY WILL ALL BURN IN HELL!!!!!!!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!11111111111ONE11111111111TWO2222@@@@@@11111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

It's ok - but like others have said, it pales in comparison to the original.

4v4 CTF Blood Gulch - one of the most classic LAN gametypes of all time.

18. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

i failed french class.....what the hell does all that mean??????????
    :confused:

19. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Modders have modded xboxs, where maps, weapons and vehicles are modified in some way or form. For instance, one player could instantly kill everyone on the opposing team with any weapon without even aiming.

client stand-by is when someone causes the other team to lag badly, giving the cheater an advantage.

bridgers are able to boot people out of the game at will.

you will meet people like this occasionally, but i have typically found them at higher levels (lvl 30-40), so you should be fairly safe......for now......lol

20. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

What's worse are the sore losers who leave a game just before it's about to end. Apparently, on the 360, this gets even worse, with people marking you down as a bad player if you beat them

21. nimbus macrumors regular

I agree. Halo is perhaps the most overrated game I've ever heard of. One reason why it's so popular is because of the little kids that love to "frag" people hahaha. It's not bad, but not as great as most people are saying. The first one was ok and the 2nd wasn't any better. Good luck with that Xbox 360...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

22. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

I sent you a MR clan invite, and I never even knew that you didnt have Halo 2. Wow I feel dumb

23. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

Im gonna have to say that my favorite combo is the smg with the plasma rifle. pretty quick kill time.

24. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

25. sintaxi macrumors member

Unreal

light years ahead of its time when it comes to the source. It will take years for other developers to incorperate the same sophostication in their code.

I dont play it anymore after logging about 400h online. Lots of kids online, Lots of rude people online, but after a good session with your buddies will look at gaming differenty forever.

HL-2 however is easily the best campain I ever played. Valve and Bungie are the leaders!

Brock