Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Willy S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2005
I´m looking a laptop for my mom, who uses the computer for very basic stuff, wideoconferencing is the most challenging, so I wonder if a 900Mhz G3 is usable? :confused:

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Until a few months ago, I had a G3 800 iBook with 640MB RAM. It was fine for web browsing, Mail, Instant Messanger, MS Office, etc. You just couldn't keep everything open at once. Also, while I did some photoshop, it really was slow at times. I think you'll be ok video conferencing as long as word, mail, excel, and safari aren't open at the same time.

I have a 450Mhz powermac with 512MB RAM and I still consider that usable for basic web surfing and word processing.

eleveneastgate

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
OK!

That'll be fine for Moms... Just make sure you get one the doesn't have any Logic Board problems, ;)

After mine was repaired, I've no complaints!

JupiterTwo

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2003
GB
I've been iChatting quite happily with my mate who's using an 800mhz G3 iBook. No problems with quality, though doing much else at the same time as the conference was a bit iffy on his machine.

So, just give it lots of RAM and it'll be swell for what you say she needs :)

Willy S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2005
Thanks!

The piece I had in mind doesn´t have Airport so the deal isn´t as sweet as I thought. However, I will buy one if I find a similar deal with the airport included.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
I used one before I got my PowerBook. It was pretty good. I maxed out the ram (of course) and it was awesome.
Definitely recommend it. :) :)

Willy S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2005
Thanks again!

I´m wondering, could I install ram and airport extreme card on these machines? I´m used to fixing PCs but have no experience with Apple laps.

And also, can they handle more than 640 mb of ram?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Should be a breeze installing RAM and Airport, there should be guides for this on Apple's website as they are "legit" upgrades for these machines. Unlike harddrives etc.

RoadKill

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2003
LONDON UK
Willy S said:
Thanks again!

I´m wondering, could I install ram and airport extreme card on these machines? I´m used to fixing PCs but have no experience with Apple laps.

And also, can they handle more than 640 mb of ram?

I think you will only be able to install a airport card (802.11b) and not a airport extreme (802.11g). These are getting hard to find so make sure you can get one before splashing out.

JupiterTwo

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2003
GB
Willy S said:
Thanks again!

I´m wondering, could I install ram and airport extreme card on these machines?

Yep - it's dead easy as mentioned. So much so there are even instructions on the back of the keyboards on how to fit both memory and airport.

I'd recommend as much memory as you can afford - the top is 640. I run 384 in my iBook, and it's ok, but it would always want more :)

MacHarne

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2005
Virginia, U.S.A.
Prior to the PowerBook purchase, the 14" 800 G3 was my gem. Using iChat AV with my iSight was great. The only bottleneck to videoconferencing, though, was my internet connection. Broadband is good for videochats, but isn't always enough to produce quality images. The videochats I've had before on a WAN were stellar and don't compare to regular DSL-connection quality.

A G3 iBook will handle those tasks very well, though. You'll have a grateful mom. Remember that those iBooks cannot use Airport Extreme, so you'll have to find a regular Airport card if you wish to setup wirelessly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.