How good is the C2D?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by luminosity, Mar 10, 2007.

1. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

How good is the C2D? Basically, will it still be a strong chip in a few years, or will it be far surpassed by newer chips?

Also, how good is Santa Rosa supposed to be?

2. What macrumors newbie

santa rosa will rock

c2d is definiately a great processor for years to come. That is, you will be able surf the web fine, word process, etc without any troubles.
    The main limited factor in macbooks are its graphic processor.

Santa rosa, I hear, will be much faster, conserve battery life, etc. Obviously, if you can wait, it will be a great deal. However, if you need a macbook now, definitely just go with the c2duo. Its still a monstoer

3. neyoung macrumors member

I could be wrong, but I haven't seen any info on when Santa Rosa will be available. Its one thing waiting for something that you know the date of the release, but you could be waiting quite a long time. Not only will you be waiting for the announcement of Santa Rosa, but there is usually a month or so between announcements and when the product ships.

The C2D chips are very quick and will handle most anything that you can throw at it with ease. That being said, any machine will show its age 2-3+ years down the road. There will always be newer and faster chips being released, its how the market works. The C2D seems like its been one of the more successful chips released in the past few years.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

1. It's the best mobile CPU available today, and is very fast.

2. It will be far surpassed by newer chips, and will be very slow compared to newer technology. This is how it works with everything else, and isn't unexpected in the computer industry, is it?

5. DMBGuru macrumors regular

As for the graphic cards...

I bought a MB C2D and thought I'd be held back by the integrated graphics card.

It really isn't as bad as I though it would be. I can play World of Warcraft VERY smoothly on it, and that game isn't exactly the worst graphics game around. Check the screens online.

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Actually, the reason behind decent performance of MacBook in WoW, is that the newer versions of WoW have multi-core OpenGL enabled, so MacBook is using both of it's CPU cores to run the game, which makes the game run a lot faster, even with Intal GMA.

Too bad its the only game that uses multi-core OpenGL :mad:

7. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Any chip is always going to be far surpassed by newer ones in future years. As for the C2D MacBooks today, they are as fast as any notebooks out there from any manufacturer. So if you need a new notebook right now, there is absolutely no reason to not get one. You can always wait another 6 months for faster technology, that's never going to change.