Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AuPhalanx

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2004
Wilkes-Barre, PA
I updated my iPad 3 (64-GB) this morning. All is well. After reading about the "lagging" and "stuttering," I was somewhat afraid. Now that it's installed, I have no complaints. It seems to me very smooth -- from switching apps to doing the five-finger close. Typing is just the same as iOS 6.

So far, I am really liking iOS 7. Yes, there are a few peccadilloes that are strange. Overall, though, it's quite nice.

I did notice that right after I updated and opened the Photos app, not all of my pictures were populated, meaning there were placeholders (gray boxes) rather than pictures. Over time, they popped into place. I wonder if for some people suffering the lag and stutter if this isn't the cause?

All the BEST! Enjoy!

T.

Maziar

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2010
I'm overall happy with iOS 7 on my iPad but it definitely has some slow downs specially in changing wallpapers,multitasking etc. It's nothing annoying but I hope Apple fixes it with a software update.

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Im not experiencing any lag but I've only been playing with it off and on for half a day. Do notice a decrease in battery life already but it's the first day playing with it. For ipad I think this is pretty nice iOS. The little things throw me off because I am so used to the previous iOS but overall it's gonna be great once I'm used to it.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
So the consensus says it's a lagfest with a few saying no issues. I'll stick with iOS 6 on my iPad 2. I'll try iOS 7 when they announce the new iPads.

Actually, it seems like the consensus is that it's fine except the wallpaper lag but most people without problems did a complete wipe and install.

uaaerospace

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Alabama
Installed on my iPad 2 and it's working just fine. I can occasionally see a little roughness in an animation, but nothing that would impact the quality of the experience and certainly not the usability of the device.

Someone mentioned apps crashing and Apple needing to bring the OS up to par to prevent this...have you considered that it might be the case that the app hasn't yet been (fully, properly, etc) updated for iOS 7? App updates have been pouring in as developers have been prepping their apps. Maybe you have someone that missed something or hasn't finished their updates? That's like blaming Apple when Adobe Creative Suite breaks with a major OS upgrade.

jenni122701

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2013
(Western) North Carolina, USA
I have ios 7 installed on my iPad 3 and though there has been a small bit of lagging, its nit been very bad at all for me. I was afraid it would be much worse. Im sure it will get worked out in an update soon. I had slight lag with changing wallpaper and just a bit with the keyboard. Im not sorry I updated it though at all.

chumawumba

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2012
Ask the NSA
Got ios 7 on my iP5 and iPad 3. On the 5, it's smooth as butter, but it's so laggy on the iPad!

I'm also having issues with the transparency. On the phone, it's as it should be (frost effect), but on my iPad, it's just translucent gray. No frost effect. Increased contrast is off. Anyone else notice this or is it just me?

It's something ONLY on iPad 3. 2 has it, mini has it, but not Apple's redheaded stepchild.

Coltaine

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Same problem. FYI: you can go into Settings and disable the Control Center in apps making it available only at the Home screen.

Thanks a lot for the info.
It seems like a good idea, even though this problem seems to be gradually sorting itself out as I am getting more used to the new controls.

In other news, I completely swiped the iPad and did a clean install without any backup from iCloud.
It has shown a great improvement on the sluggishness of the system, even though it is still not completely smooth.
Changing wallpapers still takes ages.

Today my wife installed iOS 7 on her iPhone 4S.
It is running smooth as hell, even though changing the wallpapers there takes a tad bit longer than it did before, but by far not as long as on the iPad 3.
Weird problem, yet a minor one.
A software update should fix most of these hiccups.

migdaddy

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2012
I just updated my ipad 2 with iOS7 and I don't notice any performance issues. If there is a lag, it's so minimal that I don't even notice it, nor care. I like the new OS

superspartan

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2006
I found iOS 7 to be very laggy on my ipad 3 and have downgraded to 6 while I still have the chance. I actually prefer 7 to 6 and am keeping it on my 4s, but I feel it's not yet ready for prime time on the ipad. If you're not sensitive to lag and hiccups you might be fine with it. Memory usage seemed to be an issue as well because browser tabs were reloading more often and I saw a few app crashes.

My advice would be to wait for an update that smoothes some of these edges off.

Elvergun

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2011
I found iOS 7 to be very laggy on my ipad 3 and have downgraded to 6 while I still have the chance. I actually prefer 7 to 6 and am keeping it on my 4s, but I feel it's not yet ready for prime time on the ipad. If you're not sensitive to lag and hiccups you might be fine with it. Memory usage seemed to be an issue as well because browser tabs were reloading more often and I saw a few app crashes.

My advice would be to wait for an update that smoothes some of these edges off.

Same here...I downgraded and I hope and update comes out soon because I really like 7.

I didn't find iOS7 very laggy, but it sure was not as smooth as iOS6 is on the iPad.

crammedberry

macrumors regular
iOS 7 on my iPad 3 is very laggy. I can't run too many apps at once as I used to in iOS 6 since it starts to slow down even more so than usual. It isn't just the wallpapers either, transitions are jittery, typing is awful. Keep in mind that I have turned off all effects like parallax and dynamic wallpapers, even so the OS is still laggy overall. If you type very slow or one handed then you should be fine as far as typing goes, but if you use both hands at a normal speed at times then it will start skipping letters and spacing making it a total nightmare. All in all I'm disappointed with the speed, I'm sure newer or better devices do fine on it... but as far as iPads go, even the iPad 4 seems to be lagging a bit at times and that's something that should not be happening on the beefy A6X.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I've been using mine off and on all day, and the battery isn't as good as with iOS 6, but it hasn't suffered nearly as bad as I thought it would. It's at 69% now. I even played iTunes Radio for several hours while at work.

The only thing, other than the minor battery issue is I get a very slight lag with the keyboard. But I also had the same lag on iOS 6.

Otherwise, it seems to be running iOS 7 quite well.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
but most people without problems did a complete wipe and install.

Maybe a stupid question, but is this done by going into Settings/General/Reset, then choosing Erase All Content And Settings?

Regarding the install. Do you mean restore off of a backup, or set up as a new device?

tomacwhite

macrumors regular
May 1, 2009
England
Running on iPad 3 here and it's pretty bad.

Laggy keyboard
Delayed wake from sleep
10+ seconds to change wallpaper, impossible to adjust position/size as it locks up the iPad

Not great at the moment.

johnmacward

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
It's exactly how iOS 6 was, slightly sluggish and annoying.

The only thing that's better is Google Maps, it gets an extra few frames per second.

Animations are not quite perfect, but not awful either. Ditto on the wallpaper change - its' horrendous. It's like the device has crashed.

Risha

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
Cheers to IOS 7

It is running damn near perfect, except for the lagging when changing Wallpaper. Other than that I love it.

I installed the ios 7 on my Ipad 32 gb OTA...and wow...its a gorgeous interface. There is a tiny tad bit lag while changing wallpapers...and I don't know why they did not give us the transparent backgrounds in apps like messages, mail, the way they showed in WWDC....other than that I just love the new interface....:):) and btw I did not need to reset any settings.

I think everybody should go ahead with the update.

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
The world knows that Apple still has to get the battery drain and lagging problems fix on the next release via 7.0.2 and beyond.
Anybody thinks that clean install and other practices make the above problems
solved is just imaging things.
If you have already install ios 7, you have to live with the issues. Otherwise wait till the issues are resolved to load the ios 7.

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK
The world knows that Apple still has to get the battery drain and lagging problems fix on the next release via 7.0.2 and beyond.
Anybody thinks that clean install and other practices make the above problems
solved is just imaging things.
If you have already install ios 7, you have to live with the issues. Otherwise wait till the issues are resolved to load the ios 7.

i did a clean install and have a much greater battery life on the iPhone, as for the iPad I've never complained about the battery life as its awesome now as it always has been

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I've been using mine off and on all day, and the battery isn't as good as with iOS 6, but it hasn't suffered nearly as bad as I thought it would. It's at 69% now. I even played iTunes Radio for several hours while at work.

The only thing, other than the minor battery issue is I get a very slight lag with the keyboard. But I also had the same lag on iOS 6.

Otherwise, it seems to be running iOS 7 quite well.

Just curious, have you tried turning off any of these things?

http://lifehacker.com/ios-7s-biggest-annoyances-and-how-to-fix-them-1334420963

Ideally, we wouldn't have too, but maybe it would help with the keyboard. I'm going to do some testing with my iPad over the next few days and see if the performance is up to my standards. Then go from there.

(Of course, this would be a good excuse to upgrade once they push out new iPads...and I'd offically be done with the 30 pin dock connector!)

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Let me just make myself clear, on ipad 3 there are issues. If you felt the issues are solved on your device, then more power to you. Appreciate those who raised their voices to make others aware of the problems.
It is not that easy to reverse back to ios 6 from 7. Why take a chance, if apple delivers half baked goods.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Let me just make myself clear, on ipad 3 there are issues. If you felt the issues are solved on your device, then more power to you. Appreciate those who raised their voices to make others aware of the problems.
It is not that easy to reverse back to ios 6 from 7. Why take a chance, if apple delivers half baked goods.

How bad are the issues?

(I've installed iOS 7, but haven't spent a ton of time. I definitely see areas where my iPhone 5 beats it, specifically pressing "Go" on the keyboard in Safari tends to take a bit longer then I'd expect)

Also it's worth nothing, I have yet to turn anything from that lifehacker article off yet.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Just curious, have you tried turning off any of these things?

http://lifehacker.com/ios-7s-biggest-annoyances-and-how-to-fix-them-1334420963

Ideally, we wouldn't have too, but maybe it would help with the keyboard. I'm going to do some testing with my iPad over the next few days and see if the performance is up to my standards. Then go from there.

(Of course, this would be a good excuse to upgrade once they push out new iPads...and I'd offically be done with the 30 pin dock connector!)

Yep, I went through all of those things and did a reset too. By the end of the day yesterday, it wasn't too bad and so far today it's doing okay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.