How good is the iPad without Flash Support??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by alexxk, Apr 30, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

I need help deciding or not to buy an ipad

I want to get an Ipad but what's holding me back is the support for flash on the ipad.. Yesterday I went to Best Buy and i was testing the Asus Transformer pad which is a fine tablet and the new Ipad, but the problem that is I could not take advantage of the browser on the ipad as I could not see some videos.. All the sites I tested on the Asus I was able to play video but not on the ipad..

What was all that talk about HTML5 and ipad supporting, how is it going? Out of 5 sites I visited only 1 played a video on the ipad and that's because the site converted to an ipad friendly version or something..

This is killing me, I use the browser a lot especially at work but if I cannot see games highlights, news and such on the browser it's a deal breaker..

Am I missing something? Is there a way to make this browser better?

2. macrumors 6502a

over 10 million sold in the last quarter tells me people are doing just fine without flash. If you must have flash, then get a laptop or the Asus.

The iPad does so much more. Think of the apps and all that you'll miss with another tablet.

in time, flash videos will eventually go away.

3. macrumors 68040

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    what sites were you viewing? I rarely come accross a video that I can't view on my iPad and that number is greatly decreasing.

Don't forget adobe has completely dropped support for flash on Android devices, so that capability probably won't be around for much longer.

4. macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

I'll take an iPad with Flash over the alternatives.

5. macrumors 65816

I use Photon browser for the sites that I need flash on. While its not the most convenient or elegant solution, it does work. I think there are a few other browsers as well that will work with flash.

Between my KindleFire which supports flash, and my iPad, I still prefer using my iPad.

6. macrumors 6502a

I miss not having Flash only when I am not home and want to play a Facebook game. Other than that, I don't miss not having it at all.

7. macrumors 6502

Since I got my iPad3, I have yet to run across a site that I can't use because of no flash on the iPad. I guess it depends on what sites you use, apparently I don't use a lot that require flash or are broken because I dont use flash.

8. macrumors 6502a

sinser

What's flash ?

9. macrumors regular

The answer to your question is, it's not an issue. I rarely come across a video I can't play on the iPad.

10. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys.... I visited some brazilians sites for instance this one www.globo.com to view highlights for soccer games yesterday.

I think I'm going to buy the new Ipad, now 16 or 32 GB???

Decisions decisions... sucks!!!

Ps. It's true, Android Jelly Bean will lose the support for Flash, so screw it..

11. macrumors 68000

I find it contradictory to have flash on MacBooks, which have less battery life than the iPad.

The iPad's been out for how many years now … and tons of websites still use flash.

12. macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

13. macrumors 65816

I just loaded this website using Photon and it works just fine. Only issue I have with Photon is its sometimes cumbersome once you start viewing a video to get it to pause or stop. Also, videos don't work or load automatically. You have to click on the lightening bolt icon built into the browser, then it will load your video. Other than that, I've had no issues.

14. macrumors 68040

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    two. Yeah I know seems like it's been much longer doesn't it? Two years isn't really enough time to convert all videos on the web, but it's still a work in progress.

15. macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I'm wondering that too.

16. macrumors 68040

I think a lot the content you are missing on flash websites has been repackaged as content within apps available in the appstore if you wanna go that route.

However, I'd say if web browsing is going to be the *primary* use of your tablet you may want to wait for the Asus Transformer Infinity. It's going to have a high resolution screen, a Tegra 3 chip and LTE connectivity (if you want that). Definitely the high end Android tablet.

17. macrumors 68000

Just downloaded "click to flash" for my MacBook. It took me 5 minutes to un-enable it because I had to use PhotoBucket.

Real world experience.

Why does the MacBook have flash, but the iPad doesn't? I mean, just download the Photobucket app. Everything's an app now.

18. macrumors 604

mcdj

The way to make it better is to spend more than 5 minutes at Best Buy with an iPad. For every site you couldn't get your game highlights on, there is one out there somewhere that shows them fine. You will need to do a little homework.

OTOH, I'm sure your boss would be thrilled if you could no longer watch game highlights at work.

19. macrumors 68000

Do you know exactly what he does at work? Why make assumptions?

20. macrumors 604

mcdj

True enough. Sorry Mr. Bookie. Carry on!

21. macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Tablets & smartphones are becoming such a big part of mainstream internet traffic that websites are beginning to change their designs and the platforms they use so that they can get that increasing chunk of traffic. Either that or they'll create an app.

22. macrumors 603

scaredpoet

This pretty much explains it.

Adobe disagreed, at first. But since there is now no further development on Mobile version of Flash, it's pretty much a dying platform.

23. macrumors newbie

Some sites like CNN support html5 and you can view the videos directly. For others you can use an app like xdesktop that will transform your iPad into a second monitor, where you can run a web browser and stream flash. This works very well, but it requires an external computer to be connected to your wifi.

24. macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Well,

For me it a non issue:cool:

25. macrumors member

I was concerned about flash support too when I decided to give up my Motorola Xoom and go for the new iPad. I was worried that I won't be able to watch videos from sports and news sites but I've had no problems so far. Tell you the truth I've almost forgot about flash.:D