How good is the Mac support?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by doctorchu, Sep 24, 2006.

1. doctorchu macrumors newbie

I have been a PC user for ten years. And through it I experienced a lot of problems, clashes, viruses, windows problems and hardware problems. Most of all is that when I have problems I am passed from the vendor of the hardware to the vendor of the software, and I do not know a lot of times if it is windows or the computer itself. But I have found that there are computer stores everywhere to take the PC for help, always costs a bundle of money and lots of hassle and time. I have been thinking about a Mac, where the hardware vendor and the software vendor are one. The questions is, if there is a problem with the Mac, where do you go for help? And how good and quick are the fixes?

2. elisha cuthbert macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

you either come here and depending on what country your in you call the mac number in Australia its 133MAC and if none of that helps you can go to your local apple shop

3. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

My experience: it's worlds better than Dell.

Apple's customer service is actually rated better than any other computer manufacturer. If anybody wants to challenge that statement, I'll dig up my source.

Daniel.

4. FredClausen macrumors regular

FredClausen

You have two options for support from Apple:

a) Taking your computer in to an Apple Store. For a lot of us who live in the boonies (like me) this isn't an option, but if you happen to live in civilization, the Genius Bar is right up there. The Apple Genius' get high marks from everyone, and are pretty fast.

b) Calling Applecare. They have you do over the phone diagnostics, but it seems they generally have a good handle on hardware issues and know if the problem is something they know about. They seem quick to take the machine back (well, quick is relative compared to Dell or <insert PC manufacturer>) and seem to have good results with the repairs.

5. GCY macrumors regular

I have been reading a lot of posts where ppl complained about the long wait they have to endure when calling apple care.(30+ mins.)
    don't know this myself since I never called them yet.

6. elisha cuthbert macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

the only time I have had 30min and above phone calls to them is when i have iPod problems and they dont believe that i have faxed in the proof of purchase

7. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

If you're talking about problems with software... you probably won't even need the support. Few problems(I've pretty much had none that have left me stumped, and I'm not that computer-literate at all), and if you do have issues, someone on the forums can probably help.

As for hardware, I haven't had problems. Last time I called phone support, there was no wait. Spoke to someone that spoke fluent English, was very helpful. And on warranty/fixing/replacement, they're all right. Nothing amazing to my experience, but I got my laptop fixed up in under two weeks, shipping included.

8. GCY macrumors regular

I'm talking about being put on hold for 30+ min.

9. elisha cuthbert macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

ohh well ive never had that problem the most ive been on hold for is 5 mins and that was after my call got answered

10. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

I've had on hold waits for 30-45 minutes before. Really just depends on when you call. Early in the morning seems to be best in my experience, later during the day, not so fun.

11. Mernak macrumors 6502

Yeah a wait time 30-45 minutes isn't too unusual for me. Sometimes I will only wait mabye 5 mins but that is rare. for me it rarely seems to fall in between those times.

12. elisha cuthbert macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

well then that tells you something doesn't it, have all your problems in the morning

13. Chrysaor macrumors 6502

It can not be better than Dell Support. I used Dell support, and I am very impressed. Also, Dell have more support choices than Apple.

If you got at-home warranty Dell technician comes to your house at your convenience. No traveling to store or sending it to them. For example, I was not satisfied with my notebook's LCD (it worked perfectly well, screen surface got something that i didn't liked) and next business day technician showed up, installed LCD. No support like that in Apple, you have to take it to an Apple store or send it to AppleCare. There are no Apple stores in my area, so its not even an option for me.

Even better, Dell have Complete Care support. If anything happens (like you drop your system accidently, or spill something on it) they either repair your existing system or give you a new one, no questions asked. Complete care is very cheap also, less than 100$ a year i think. No option like that in Apple either, if anything accidental happens to your Mac your warranty is voided.