How good is the quality on the TV

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ltpowda, Aug 27, 2006.

1. ltpowda macrumors newbie

How good does the quality of the ipod show on the tv.

Can you have a video play off the ipod onto the tv and show the same quality as the dvd.

What is the maximum frame size.

Because I want to be able to edit my dv tapes and then store it on the ipod and play it with my mates when Im at their house or something, but I don't want it to be **** quality!

2. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

iPod tv output is OK on stuff downloaded from iTMS, but i wouldnt disolusion myself by even thinking it comes neer to dvd resolution.

However that said there are ways.

1. video from the itms has a max res of 320x240 (H264 baseline)if its widescreen it could be 320x200 or less however if youre encoding yourself via handbrake you can sacrafice height for width so long as the total no of pixels dose not excede 76800 (320 multiplied by 240). personaly i havn't tried this one out yet, due to reason 2

2. If you encode in MPEG-4 rather than H264 you can have videos upto 480x480 and at a much higher bit rate now this one you definetly can get close to dvd quality on some DVDs/movies i.e. i got indiana Jones at the exact same quality as the dvd due to the aspect ratio of the film at 720x320 this is the exact same as the dvd and plays brilliantly on a TV and my tv aint a small one. 480*480=230400 and 720*320=230400

in summary you can get great quality on a tv from ipod, but you have to do it yourself, but on anything smaller than a 21" CRT TV all the videos look just as good as standerd Def TV

3. ltpowda thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your help.

Yeah well I will be encoding them myself, they are more so my personal videos.

I got all the coding programs

->handbrake
    ->ffmpegX
    ->compressor
    ->cleaner

So I don't think I could go wrong.

Maybe I should just wait until the new ipod comes out

4. thebiggoose macrumors 6502

thebiggoose

Maybe I have a Super-Pod or something....noone's gonna believe me but I've been getting around 5 hours of video playback on screen and 7 hours on the tv.....and when I encode an .avi movie using iSquint on "encode for TV" at medium setting on my Core Solo Mini I get pretty uch DVD quality on my 52'' CRT TV and better than dvd quality on my 32'' hd tv....sooo I gues you should use iSquint and use encode for tv setting

PS:The resulting 2 hour movie file is usually 600-700 megs
    PPS:Don't wait until the next pod comes out

5. ltpowda thread starter macrumors newbie

i don't want to get the 5th gen then the 6th gen comes out 2months later!!

Plus I haven't got money for one anyway