How good is VPC?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by cursorx, Sep 8, 2004.

1. cursorx macrumors newbie

Hellow mates. Finally I have made my decision to buy a 17" PB (thanks to everyone who helped), so i am now wondering how was does VPC run on it? I mean is it like snail like slow or fast enough to do work with?

Since I am going to a first time mac user, I was also wondering if I can keep it running in the background or an app on it.. and how much resources will it drain. I plan to have about a GB of ram on the PB.

Off topic, BTW I have been hearing quite a lot about the voice recognition in OS X? How good is it? Is it a good show off? or does it really work :)

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

What apps are you planning to run in VPC? Usually you can run it in the background, since you can change the CPU priority of VPC.

The voice recognition will either work well for you or not so well... but I've always found that it works great for me :D

3. svenr macrumors regular

Check the "ibook or centrino" thread at
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=88055
    Scroll down about half way, post #13 gives a nice real-world case complete with screenshot.

VPC works fine for me. Not "snail like slow", but of course also not as fast as a modern real PC. It's one of those things that you rarely ever use (otherwise you could've bought a Wintel PC in the first place), but you know it's there when you really need it.

4. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

VPC works ok.
    I think Win XP is SLOOW in VPC, but both Win98se and win2k runs good..
    I'm using vpc on a 1.33mhz PB G4 w 768mb ram

5. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

It's nice when you can give it 512 MB of Ram and your Mac has at least 1 GB. I have had it run faster with win2000 than older dedicated PCs running Win98. The performance is fine with business applications or even something like a photo editor. I even had Oracle 8i running on it and it was very good. It's weak with sound and music applications and games.