How happy are you with your Apple Cinema Screen?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ^squirrel^, Sep 26, 2006.

?

Where you would rate your Apple Cinema Screen?

1. 10

23 vote(s)
    60.5%
  2. 7-9

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  3. 4-6

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  4. 1-3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 0!!!!!!

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  1. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

Hi all,

I'm thinking of taking the plunge and getting a 23" ACD with my Macpro, but i hear so many different reports.

How happy are you with yours on the scale below.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I am also interested, for those people who gave it a low score please give reasons.

3. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Mine is brilliant. Couldnt be happier. I bought my 20" 6 months after they first came out. I didnt know anyone had any problems with them? I certainly havent. I suggest you take the plunge you wont regret it.

I voted 9. Because of the matt screen when it gets dirty its a bit of a pain to clean with just a damp cloth. But I prefer Matt screen over glossy (i have MB with glossy).

4. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

Do you use the 20" with your MacBook? I've been seriously considering one to go with my MB for some time but was concerned by what I mentioned in this thread when I hooked my MB up to a 20" external.

5. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

No its on my G5. Not sure about the MB problem though.

Just out of curiosity why would you want a monitor just for your MB? Couldnt you just put the 'monitor money' together with MB money and buy a 17" MBP?

6. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

It's something I hadn't considered but I value portability very highly. It's my main system too so I'd like to be able to come home and have a desktop by plugging it all in and yet have a portable machine for the road. It does travel a lot and I don't really need the extra stuff the MBP offers.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I have been blissfully happy with my unblemished 22" ACD ever since I got it in 2001. But I guess that's not particularly relevant to you...:eek:

If you are going to get a 23", I'd make damned sure it's the current model, which I hear is still practically unobtainable over here. The Cinema Displays are all getting pretty long in the tooth, so an up-to-date one is essential.

8. gootz macrumors member

gootz

I just picked up a 23" ACD to use with my powerbook on Saturday. I love it! Just make sure you get one made in August or later, they seem to be the newer spec models.

9. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

7-9. Ummm.... 8?

One one hand it has some of the most brilliant colors and brightest backlighting I've ever seen in an LCD. Plus the design is great looking.

On the other hand it's plagued by bad backlight bleeding. Yuck.

10. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

I just wish Apple would make a physical power off switch, otherwise, a perfect 10.

11. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I give my 20" ACD a 10. I had it for a year now and it's perfect. No dead pixels.

12. Makosuke macrumors 603

I've got a 20", and I gave it a 10. I'm not a drooling fanboy, but frankly when I think about it I have absolutely nothing to complain about--I love the design (particularly the functionally-zero-footprint stand design), I love the look, I love the integrated single cable and having built-in firewire ports, and I love the screen itself--about two or so years old now, not a single bad pixel, and it's bright and beautiful. Plus, the non-button-buttons are really slick.

Yes, if I were taking price into account, I might bump that down a notch, but I was just rating the screen.

Also, if it were a bigger screen, the lack of a second set of inputs to have it double as a TV might be a drawback, but I wouldn't want that in a 20" anyway, so I don't consider it an issue.

13. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

For the one hour I had a 23" ACD hooked up to my G5, before I noticed this was the old model, definately a 10. Soooo bright, sooooo beautiful, sooooo perfect, but it wasn't the new version. So I'm still waiting to get my perfect new display....

14. ^squirrel^ thread starter macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

So let me get this right.....

If i dont get the new model i am within my rights to ask for the latest model?

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Apple are advertising a particular specification for a particular price. They have a duty to supply a monitor that reaches that specification.

16. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

The power button on the side can be programmed to simply turn off the monitor. Will that work for you?

And I loves me my 23 inch monitor! Best investment I ever made!

17. iGary Guest

iGary

I love mine.

But two of them blew up before I got a good copy.

18. Mackeyser macrumors member

My 30" ACD that I picked up at a local Apple Store was pixel perfect. I love it.

There is some backlight bleed on the lower corners, but in full screen mode of games or movies, it is NOT noticeable and I've all, but pressed my face to the screen to see it.

I wondered about getting 2x 23" monitors or the 30" and by FAR the 30" was the way to go. They made an awesome monitor and the bezel just disappears when looking at the big, bright screen.

Perfect.