Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
Blue Velvet said:
If I had the responsibility of care of children, it would represent an enormous setback and obstacle to my career goals.

I think it's also more difficult for women to juggle career/family than it is for men... especially when the children are still very young. Women are generally more of the direct care provider (particularly if nursing rather than feeding a child formula). My wife has put her career on hold for about two years now to be a stay at home mom - but will be starting a regular job again in August.

It has been a difficult but very rewarding time for both of us having a child... and it's that rewarding part which, for us, made delaying some career goals very much worth it.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
To sum it all up nicely, I work to live, not live to work. :cool:

I don’t understand people who just work work work. Why? At the end of your life does anyone ever say, “Gosh, I wish I would have worked more?” No – they realize how much of their life they wasted sitting in front of a computer screen or sitting on a plane, living out of a hotel, and wish they would have actually experienced life, spent more time with their family, etc. – and by that time it’s too late.

Life is too short to worry about work and focus on work. Yes, it is necessity to have income for survival, and yes, many people enjoy their work, so that’s fine, but I would argue that the majority of people have their priorities out of line.

Why do people stress themselves out, and work 50, 60, 80 hour weeks? What’s it for? Money? “Success”? I guess it’s how you define success then – for me, success is having a well-balanced life and having my priorities straight, not having a corner office. But, to each their own...

And at what cost? Your health? So you can be stressed out, sleep-deprived, work yourself to an early grave and never enjoy the fun things in life? So you never spend time with your family? And again, for what? Money? At the end of the day, does that really matter that much to you?

I work hard and have a lot of ambition, but I limit myself to 40-50 hours a week. My employer gives me 7 weeks fully paid vacation a year and dammit I take every single day. I’m a backpacker and world traveler and can’t imagine not broadening my horizons through travel – it’s a big world out there – see it, experience it, and see how it puts everything in perspective. But for those who just work, they’re living in a very limited, narrow world and are truly missing out. Honestly, I feel sorry for them.

It’s all about balance. I could move to a larger city and make way more money than I currently am, but why would I want to? So I can stress myself out? So I can have a 1.5 or 2 hour commute to and from work every day? What’s your personal time worth? That’s time I can use here to spend with my wife, go to the gym to maintain my health, play sports, enjoy a walk in the park, you name it – not sitting in traffic and being exhausted at the end of every day. Why would anyone want that? I get to go home around 5:00 each day, on average, and I have a 15 minute drive home. I can relax, prepare a nice, fresh, healthy home-cooked meal and don’t have to grab crap food like MacDonald’s or something since that’s all I have time for. What’s your health, both physical and mental worth?

I enjoy reading, going to the gym, screenwriting, acting, modeling, hiking, soccer, traveling, playing in the Symphony Orchestra, playing poker, spending time with friends – all things I wouldn’t have time for if I just focused on work. And what kind of a life would that be?

My advice to those who are addicted to work: Get your priorities straight, ask yourself why you are doing this and for what, and achieve a balance. And most importantly, learn how to live. Life is short – enjoy every minute you can of it. :cool:

All that being said, I guess you gotta do what you enjoy, and if that type of lifestyle is rewarding for you, then good for you. Personally, I wouldn't want it for all the tea in China. :cool:

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
~Shard~ said:
My employer gives me 7 weeks fully paid vacation a year and dammit I take every single day.

Nice! My two weeks is pathetic. :( *sigh* I can't wait to be rid of this job, heh.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
jadekitty24 said:
I don't really have a "career". I have a job that "pays the bills". And with that I am completely satisfied. I did the whole "work 80 hours a week, have no life, get raped in taxes" schtick and it only made me miserable. Financially speaking, I don't really have any aspirations, as long as I can pay the bills and have a little left over to play with I'm happy. Of course, I am a firm believer in the saying "the best things in life are free". They really truly are.

Yay - this thread was getting depressing. To many career driven people. I have a career and have made some sacrifices in my personal life to do so, but the sacrifices are measured against the benefits. If it aint worth it I don't do it.
Having a daughter:cool: made me realise that work isn't that important. It pay the bills and lets me have time to play with her.

Work to live, not live to work!!
Rich is overrated - Just enjoy life

XNine

macrumors 68040
Well, I guess I can be put in the workaholic category as well. I NEVER take sick days unless I feel like I'm going to die. I never take Vacations. I will take a day here or so when something comes up.

Otherwise I feel guilty that i'm not at work. I feel like I'll get fired if I'm not there for 9-12 hours a day, and sometimes weekends to catch up on things.

I'm 24 years old and stress has been taking its tole on me. I usually end up feeling sick at night and what not. I only sleep about 4-5 hours a night. It sucks, but I can't change it. Hard to believe that there's people in worse positions out there....

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
~Shard~ said:
I enjoy reading, going to the gym, screenwriting, acting, modeling, hiking, soccer, traveling, playing in the Symphony Orchestra, playing poker, spending time with friends – all things I wouldn’t have time for if I just focused on work. And what kind of a life would that be?

yeah what kind of life would THAT be without modeling? :p :D
Anyone else bored with their lives because they don't model? :p

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2003
I work hard enough to do what I need to do and do a reasonably good job at it.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
Onizuka said:
I'm 24 years old and stress has been taking its tole on me. I usually end up feeling sick at night and what not. I only sleep about 4-5 hours a night. It sucks, but I can't change it. Hard to believe that there's people in worse positions out there....

The stress is your body sending you a message. You just need to work out what. You don't need a heart attack in your thirties.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
atari1356 said:
Nice! My two weeks is pathetic. :( *sigh* I can't wait to be rid of this job, heh.

I don't know what I'd do with only 2 weeks vacation. I always take a week off around Christmas, so that would only leave me with 5 days off all year! :eek: ;)

Last year was great - I took a week off in April for a friend's wedding in the Mayan Riviera, a week off in the summer, a week and a half off around my wedding, 2 weeks off for my honeymoon, another week at Christmas and used up the rest early this year when I went to Vegas for the CES. Next year I'll be backpacking in Asia somehwere and will probably take at least 5 weeks off for that... :cool:

Diatribe said:
yeah what kind of life would THAT be without modeling? :p :D
Anyone else bored with their lives because they don't model? :p

You know Diatribe, sometimes I could swear you have a Dashboard widget set up which instantly alerts you anytime I make a post regarding my hobbies... :p ;)

Regardless, nice one! :D

ibook30

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
2,000 light years from home
j26 said:
Yay - this thread was getting depressing. To many career driven people. I have a career and have made some sacrifices in my personal life to do so, but the sacrifices are measured against the benefits. If it aint worth it I don't do it.
Having a daughter:cool: made me realise that work isn't that important. It pay the bills and lets me have time to play with her.

I agree ! I'm glad to see the change in this thread ...

But- as I read others point of view- I began to see how it can work too. If one works a lot because they are passionate and enjoy it - then that's a good thing! It's likely to make life richer.
From my perspective - it is important to balance my passions. Work - family - friends - etc all have a place and neglecting any of them throws my balance off and can affect all of them.

When I am at my best - I am enjoying the moment for what it is. Sometimes the moment is full of work and things to do. Sometimes it's a moment of quiet reflection, or roaring fun. My hope is to find what makes it good / unique / interesting (pick the word you like!) and focus on that. Although I have to admit - I haven't had any moments of modeling. :D

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
For the record, modeling is not easy. I don't see how you can do it as a leisure activity at all, but maybe. It can be fun, but anxiety and stress ridden for sure.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Peyton said:
For the record, modeling is not easy. I don't see how you can do it as a leisure activity at all, but maybe. It can be fun, but anxiety and stress ridden for sure.

I gave it up because after a while all the gorgeous girls just get tiresome... :rolleyes: :D

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
~Shard~ said:
You know Diatribe, sometimes I could swear you have a Dashboard widget set up which instantly alerts you anytime I make a post regarding my hobbies... :p ;)

Regardless, nice one! :D

Damnit you're on to me *looks frenetically from left to right* :D

You're just such an easy target though and we often seem to browse the same threads so... :p

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
My dad was a serious workaholic, most of my memories I ahve of him growing up was mostly on weekends, and even then he was working on something. Its a persistence I admired but a habit I despised so I promised myself that I wouldn't put myself in that kind of a situation where my job or my work habits take away from my family (when I get one at least).

With that said, my eventual career will hopefully allow for that and if I get into when I want to it certainly will but as for right now I'm motivated towards other things which are career related somewhat but mostly life in general, I have a few things I need to get past before I move on...

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
I think the general consensus is to find a good balance between work and leisure/family and about setting/affirming your priorities. If you do that then you can better keep what's important in focus. :)

I'd be a model, too, for a hobby if I could get rid of the ghetto booty and grow another four-six inches. Oh, and still be able to eat normal amounts of food without having to have some eating disorder to go along with it (or just have a fabulously blessed metabolism). Wouldn't the hubby love that?? :D :cool:

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I work very hard, 50-60 hours a week. I still find time for friends and family and a girlfriend (helps that she works a lot also). My motivation is to make a lot of money so I can retire (or do whatever I want) at 55. I sat down with a financial planner 4 years ago and we created a plan. 11 years, 3 months and 14 days to go. :D

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Diatribe said:
Damnit you're on to me *looks frenetically from left to right* :D

You're just such an easy target though and we often seem to browse the same threads so... :p

Yep, I can't blame you for that! Plus, think about how boring some of these threads would be if it wasn't for our banter and good-natured bugging... ;) :D

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
rdowns said:
I work very hard, 50-60 hours a week. I still find time for friends and family and a girlfriend (helps that she works a lot also). My motivation is to make a lot of money so I can retire (or do whatever I want) at 55. I sat down with a financial planner 4 years ago and we created a plan. 11 years, 3 months and 14 days to go. :D

Sounds like you have your priorities straight and a have a lot of focus - I'm in the same boat, and have similar goals to you. I figure that life is too short to worry about money, therefore I want to have enough of it so that I don't have to worry about it. ;) As you say, retire early, do whatever I want and not have to worry about my financial situation. That's what motivates me as well to work hard, succeed and advance, but I never lose sight of the important things in my life such as my wife, family and friends. Again, it's all about balance. :cool:

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I try. I've been saving for quite a while now but make a very good living. When I sat down with the FP, he told me I wasn't saving enough. We ran through my bills and needs and came up with a number. Then he asked me to add $1,000 to it and see if it hurt too much. I agreed and haven't looked back since. Still buy whatever I want and enjoy myself but I keep my eye on my goal.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
rdowns said:
I try. I've been saving for quite a while now but make a very good living. When I sat down with the FP, he told me I wasn't saving enough. We ran through my bills and needs and came up with a number. Then he asked me to add $1,000 to it and see if it hurt too much. I agreed and haven't looked back since. Still buy whatever I want and enjoy myself but I keep my eye on my goal.

Yep, sounds like we're a lot alike... ;) I try and save a lot of my money as well, and am very heavy into investing and making my money work for me. Yet I don't deprive myself, and have no issues spending money on things I enjoy. :)

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
It's pretty refreshing to get different takes on this subject. For the record, let me just state that there is nothing wrong with devoting yourself to family, or a career. We all have different goals in life. If we all had and/or wanted the same exact things life would be dreadfully boring. Just because Person #1 has a great career yet no family doesn't make her any less than Person #2, who has a family yet no career, and vice versa. Everybody is different and we all do what we can to make ourselves happy. Looking down on others because our ways are different is extremely judgemental, not to mention pig-headed.

Motley

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2005
I don't consider myself a workaholic, then again in a few months I'll have maxed out my 450 hours limit of stored vacation time and will have to actually start using it or losing it.

I think I'm lucky in that there is no unpaid overtime for me, yeah for government fair bidding practices.

I'm happy enough to come in to work, meet my deadlines (especially if I'm the one who came up with the schedule) and go home. I like my work life and home life nicely seperated.

What was bad was about 2 years ago when I was constantly on call during testing. I learned to hate the sound of my cell phone ringer after a few 2am Saturday morning emergency calls. Especially when it was "You know that thing that you were afraid would happen so you rewrote the procedure to keep it from happening, then management said it could never happen and had the procedures changed back? Well it just happened":mad:

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
jadekitty24 said:
It's pretty refreshing to get different takes on this subject. For the record, let me just state that there is nothing wrong with devoting yourself to family, or a career. We all have different goals in life. If we all had and/or wanted the same exact things life would be dreadfully boring. Just because Person #1 has a great career yet no family doesn't make her any less than Person #2, who has a family yet no career, and vice versa. Everybody is different and we all do what we can to make ourselves happy. Looking down on others because our ways are different is extremely judgemental, not to mention pig-headed.

I very much agree but there are also workaholics who have families - then those people have to do what they can to make themselves happy AND have a happy family. If they don't find a way to balance their family life with their career they are risking losing that family. Each family has to make the decision of what is enough for themselves.

lanray

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2005
Here's one different take on working hard. I think we should work 40 hours a week, or less, using the time gained to foster relationships with family and friends, to read widely, and to spend time volunteering. I also try hard to make a sufficiently small salary so that I don't have to pay federal taxes. I also believe that the true mark of success is what a person does for the neediest among us.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
i once worked 30 days straight to see what those 7 day a week people felt like...it wasn't me

my parents and grandparents had retail shops and worked either 6 or 7 day weeks for decades and somehow that "drive" did not translate to me

i think working 5 days a week is just fine and having a couple of days off...i know i will never become rich and the rich people i have met usually work 7 days a week and almost always work way more than 8 hours in a day

sorry, not me ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.