How hard for a WMA user to convert songs to IPod format?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Lord'sHellfire, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Lord'sHellfire macrumors newbie

A friend of mine asked this question, but I really don't know the answer myself. He's got about half the tracks on his computer in WMA format (he uses Windows Media Player to burn CD's to his computer). He's considering an IPod, and wants to know how much of a hassle it will be to convert those tracks to an IPod-useable format. Will ITunes do it? Will it make second copies, so to speak, of the original WMA's in another format, or will it convert the original WMA's to MP3 or AAC? How much hassle is involved? Thanks.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

iTunes for Windows will do it easily although depending on the machine, it might take a while.

Otherwise, for Mac, use EasyWMA. :)

3. sockeatingdryer macrumors regular

sockeatingdryer

Assuming he's a Windows user, there is an option in iTunes itself to convert all of his WMAs to AAC or MP3s.

However, just for the sake of keeping things pristine, I would copy all of my CDs again.

But, again, he can do it right in iTunes with one click of the mouse. :)

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The importing preferences apply for the converting process too if he wants to change the default settings at all.

5. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

iTunes will take care of it for him as long as they are ripped CDs and not protected/downloaded tracks.