how hard is it to intall a hd on a powerbook?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by krossfyter, Dec 19, 2003.

1. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Okay as some of you know i have been having some trouble with my powerbook. Through the help you all have provided I have come to the conclusion that my hard drive is on its way out. Click of death could happen soon. I am now looking into purchasing a new hard drive for my powerbook but i am unsure as to which one to go with...western digital, travel star, maxtor or what? I am looking into the 60gb with 5400 speed or at least a 40gb. Willing to spend a little over 200 bucks. I have a powerbook G4 667 (rev. c). Okay once I find the hard drive i want can i be able to install it myself or is it too hard of a task? Any online instructions or anything of that matter? Have any of you all reading this done this or know of someone that has? Any help will be appreciated. Thanx.

2. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I've heard that installing a new hard drive on a Titanium Powerbook is pretty straight forward (I've heard its even in the manual too)... but in the new AlBooks, its a LOT harder.

That's what I've heard at least, so don't shoot the messanger :)

GL w/ your surgery.

3. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

thanks for the support man. i hope its pretty straight forward.

4. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

5. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

There was a macworld a few months back showing how to replace a titanium hard drive. It seems pretty easy. It might be on thier site. Its not a huge upgrade to go from 4200 to 5400, but if you do disk intesive stuff it is noticable. I would think if you gonna replace, do spend the extra and get a 5400. But you shouldn't have to much trouble.

6. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

yeah thanks man. actually a do do some graphic intensive stuff. i do a little video here and there but not much. im usually doing a lot of photoshop stuff.... illustrator too. So because of that then I will really feel that 5400 right? I am just trying to figure out the difference between the feel of the hard drive speed and the feel of a processor speeed.

7. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

Get the 5400 and the largests you can afford. You really want to stay away from filling up the hard drive. I can tell you it will kill your large file photoshop performance.

8. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

You better hope that it's easier on a TiBook than an AlBook, because on my 12" it's impossible to get the case open without damaging it. I think you need some special took or something. But like the previous poster said, maybe it's easier on the TiBook.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The service manual might be useful :)

Edit: And this could be helpful too.

Another Edit: The first document shows how to replace most of the parts inside the system, the second one only covers the hard drive. Both seem to have the same HD replacement instructions.

10. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

wow. thats exactly what i need. thanks nermal.

so i guess i should go with the 5400 one. just for future reference.... in terms of hard drive space... how low can you get it before its dangerous for your computer?

11. iChan macrumors 6502a

iChan

not true, i have taken the case off, and basically disassembled my 12-inch PB 3 times and it is even better now than before, because i bent a bit of metal back into place... it's actually really easy... far far far from "impossible"

12. iChan macrumors 6502a

iChan

why don't you go straight for a 7200RPM drive??? the Hitachi 60GB 7K60 si what I got, it's really really fast, quiet, and not as hot as my stock 60GB 4200RPM drive. the speed increase was most definitely noticable and my PB no longer feels like it's breaking into a sweat just opening a program because it's silent!... well, practically.

13. Versello macrumors regular

14. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

you know i was just about to post about that HITACHI TravelStar 60 GB and ask what you all that of it... and you beat me to it!

so this thing is not all hype? it really is a performance boost? wheres the cheapest one at? i saw one at macmall for 250.

15. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

16. iChan macrumors 6502a

iChan

do a search on www.xlr8yourmac.com and you will find an article on changing the HD in the 15-inch...

I'm from europe, so I presume the prices are majorly different, and I got it through a friend at a discount anyway...

17. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

18. iChan macrumors 6502a

iChan

oh, an yeah, it's not all hype, it really is great... iMovie works much better and apps launch quicker...

however, in everyday use, like browsing and stuff, it isn't THAT huge of a difference, but there is a perception of it being faster, and you will also have a greater peace of mind, knowing that you have the most advanced Laptop HD on the market today.

19. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

cool ichan thanks man. looks like im set and i have enough information to make an informed purchase.

can someone give me an anology between the difference between the speed of the hard drive and the speed of the processor in terms of over all system performance?

20. Versello macrumors regular

Do you have to unscrew the mini alan screws to open it? I'm also planning on upgrading my HD and would like to know in advance.

21. Versello macrumors regular

When I try downloading the service maual from the first link, it says the file is corrupted when I try opening it.

edit: nm found out it wasn't letting me download the entire thing... hum

22. jaykk macrumors 6502a

Its straight forward

I upgraded to 7200rpm travelstar in my TiBook 550Mhz, its a piece of cake if you have right screw driver - no problem at all. And its quite fast, and quiet too.

23. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

cool. so what tasks can you notice a difference in with an increase in the speed of the hard drive? likewise for the ram?