How has your day "without" been?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nbs2, May 1, 2006.

?

How was your day today compared with most others

1. I don't live near an "affected" area

21 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. I hadn't noticed/No change

84 vote(s)
    63.2%
  3. Slightly Affected

12 vote(s)
    9.0%
  4. Very Affected

9 vote(s)
    6.8%
  5. I participated in today's events

7 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

IF YOU HAVE A POLITICAL COMMENT TO MAKE, POST IT IN THE POLITICAL FORUM!

I suppose those of you outside the US may not really care, since one day is as good as another. But, I was wondering how everybody else has been affected. I'm not looking for profound comments, just an honest opinion.

EDIT: by without immigrants, I am referring to the "Day without immigrants" that was supposed to be today. I guess something like a real life "Day without a mexican" or something.

EDIT AGAIN: Political Comments....go here

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Without what?

Edit: Just check cnn.com... oh that... ermmm... I wouldn't have even known it was going on if you hadn't told me. But then again, I cultivate and process all my bamboo by myself.

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

haven't noticed any difference.

All my teachers are here, custodians are here. College is the same as it was on wednesday when i was last here.

Not one bit of difference

4. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

First two restaurants I went to were closed...the one we ended up going to was pretty busy because of it.

5. vniow macrumors G4

There's a protest down the street from where I work but otherwise its business as usual.

6. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Well, the line for starbucks was long this morning. My commute wasn't really affected by the thousands taking off of work to protest since I don't go downtown. But my girlfriend said she nearly hit a group of people that were marching down the middle of the street. I told her she should have because they were jaywalking. :D

IF your going to protest, please stay on the sidewalks so the rest of us can go to work and make money. Thank you.

7. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    I haven't left the house so it's business as usual.

But I won't be going anywhere near downtown today, that's for sure.

8. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I wasn't aware this was happening...but it's a good move anyway.

My dad is an immigrant, but he's back in the fatherland visiting relatives this week. :p

9. dansuz1 macrumors member

dansuz1

A couple of my favorite restaurants were closed and the cleaners at my gym weren't working. Other than that, all is normal.

10. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Life Without

Had an interruption in my Landscaping project today.

11. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

No change noticed by me.

Although, I have been at college all day. I think that some of the businesses in town had people (illegal immigrants and concerned workers alike) protesting.

12. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

My wife is a teacher here in Las Vegas. She said that she had 9 students today, when she usually has 17-ish.

That's pretty noticeable.

I would think, based on geographical location, that some areas might be more affected than others.

13. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Didn't affect me. The only hispanic family in town *OWNS* the pizzeria so they are in. :)

\great bunch of people
    \\their son just joined our scout troop

14. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Went to run an errand today at lunch and noticed no change... but then all I did was pick up some shredder oil from Office Depot.

Oh, yeah, and our FedEx delivery came on time, too.

15. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

I've been up on campus all day. It has been really light but then again, it is finals week so I imagine that some of the students have already finished and are long gone for the summer.

Did have one hispanic chick come up to my desk and ask me where she could go watch a movie here in the library.....whatever that's worth?

16. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Wow, I should say so! :eek:

This is probably very true.

17. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

No difference whatsoever today - not before work, not commuting to/from work, not at work. None.

I support the idea; I just haven't seen an impact in my life today.

18. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

I haven't really noticed today, perhaps because I've been cooped up in the office all day. It's weird, though, because when they did this the other week (just the demonstrations) I noticed it a lot. I guess they're just not hanging out downtown this time or something, because last time everyone was out near the courthouses.

19. vniow macrumors G4

Uh oh, I hear sirens outside my work, hope its nothing serious. :(

20. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

It's interesting to see how many people here are saying that their day "without" hasn't been all that different from a day "with" -- other than the nuisance factor of having streets blocked off for the protestors. Keep that in mind when you're watching the evening news coverage of today's events, which will no doubt portray this as a devastating blow to the country.

21. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

Today, this did not affect me. On Saturday night at the restaurant I work at - if the dishwashers didn't show up - it would have affected me in a big way.

22. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

That's why I put up the poll. I had noticed that there was nothing going on today. I haven't been all over the place, but I would think that Baltimore would be a mess, but it hasn't. Talking to my friends in DC, they haven't really been bothered either, beyond too many people walking around and clogging sidewalks.

I thought we would have more people being affected - MR members are all over the US (and world)...

23. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

i would think it would totally depend on the location. middle of nowhere midwest, and i think i'm probably one of 10 in a several hundred mile radius that would even know this was going on. dish network is kind enough to keep me connected to the outside world. except when the wind blows, or it rains, or snows, or leaves grow on trees. :mad:

big impact in urban areas, no impact out here. difficult to guage how effective that might be overall.

24. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Hopefully everything is okay- it would be a shame to see the protests get violent and have someone get hurt or killed. :eek:

25. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

I was surprised to read that Perdue chicken co. and some other huge meat processors closed dozens of factories. I wouldn't have thought big big businesses like those would close because of illegals.

Be prepared for the price of chicken to go up. The company won't want to eat the profit. no pun intended.