Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How was your day today compared with most others

• I don't live near an "affected" area

Votes: 21 15.8%
  • I hadn't noticed/No change

Votes: 84 63.2%
  • Slightly Affected

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • Very Affected

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • I participated in today's events

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
IF YOU HAVE A POLITICAL COMMENT TO MAKE, POST IT IN THE POLITICAL FORUM!

I suppose those of you outside the US may not really care, since one day is as good as another. But, I was wondering how everybody else has been affected. I'm not looking for profound comments, just an honest opinion.

EDIT: by without immigrants, I am referring to the "Day without immigrants" that was supposed to be today. I guess something like a real life "Day without a mexican" or something.

EDIT AGAIN: Political Comments....go here

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Without what?

Edit: Just check cnn.com... oh that... ermmm... I wouldn't have even known it was going on if you hadn't told me. But then again, I cultivate and process all my bamboo by myself.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
haven't noticed any difference.

All my teachers are here, custodians are here. College is the same as it was on wednesday when i was last here.

Not one bit of difference

XNine

macrumors 68040
Well, the line for starbucks was long this morning. My commute wasn't really affected by the thousands taking off of work to protest since I don't go downtown. But my girlfriend said she nearly hit a group of people that were marching down the middle of the street. I told her she should have because they were jaywalking. :D

IF your going to protest, please stay on the sidewalks so the rest of us can go to work and make money. Thank you.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I wasn't aware this was happening...but it's a good move anyway.

My dad is an immigrant, but he's back in the fatherland visiting relatives this week. :p

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
No change noticed by me.

Although, I have been at college all day. I think that some of the businesses in town had people (illegal immigrants and concerned workers alike) protesting.

jaydub

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
My wife is a teacher here in Las Vegas. She said that she had 9 students today, when she usually has 17-ish.

That's pretty noticeable.

I would think, based on geographical location, that some areas might be more affected than others.

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
Went to run an errand today at lunch and noticed no change... but then all I did was pick up some shredder oil from Office Depot.

Oh, yeah, and our FedEx delivery came on time, too.

leftbanke7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2004
West Valley City, Utah
I've been up on campus all day. It has been really light but then again, it is finals week so I imagine that some of the students have already finished and are long gone for the summer.

Did have one hispanic chick come up to my desk and ask me where she could go watch a movie here in the library.....whatever that's worth?

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
jaydub said:
My wife is a teacher here in Las Vegas. She said that she had 9 students today, when she usually has 17-ish.

That's pretty noticeable.

Wow, I should say so! :eek:

jaydub said:
I would think, based on geographical location, that some areas might be more affected than others.

This is probably very true.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
No difference whatsoever today - not before work, not commuting to/from work, not at work. None.

I support the idea; I just haven't seen an impact in my life today.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
I haven't really noticed today, perhaps because I've been cooped up in the office all day. It's weird, though, because when they did this the other week (just the demonstrations) I noticed it a lot. I guess they're just not hanging out downtown this time or something, because last time everyone was out near the courthouses.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
It's interesting to see how many people here are saying that their day "without" hasn't been all that different from a day "with" -- other than the nuisance factor of having streets blocked off for the protestors. Keep that in mind when you're watching the evening news coverage of today's events, which will no doubt portray this as a devastating blow to the country.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Today, this did not affect me. On Saturday night at the restaurant I work at - if the dishwashers didn't show up - it would have affected me in a big way.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
Lyle said:
It's interesting to see how many people here are saying that their day "without" hasn't been all that different from a day "with" -- other than the nuisance factor of having streets blocked off for the protestors. Keep that in mind when you're watching the evening news coverage of today's events, which will no doubt portray this as a devastating blow to the country.
That's why I put up the poll. I had noticed that there was nothing going on today. I haven't been all over the place, but I would think that Baltimore would be a mess, but it hasn't. Talking to my friends in DC, they haven't really been bothered either, beyond too many people walking around and clogging sidewalks.

I thought we would have more people being affected - MR members are all over the US (and world)...

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
i would think it would totally depend on the location. middle of nowhere midwest, and i think i'm probably one of 10 in a several hundred mile radius that would even know this was going on. dish network is kind enough to keep me connected to the outside world. except when the wind blows, or it rains, or snows, or leaves grow on trees. :mad:

big impact in urban areas, no impact out here. difficult to guage how effective that might be overall.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
I was surprised to read that Perdue chicken co. and some other huge meat processors closed dozens of factories. I wouldn't have thought big big businesses like those would close because of illegals.

Be prepared for the price of chicken to go up. The company won't want to eat the profit. no pun intended.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.