Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iNole

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
A-Town
I have a poly but am considering buying a leather one. I have heard leather is harder to keep clean and sometimes darkens around the edges from use. If you have a leather smart cover, how has it held up over the past year? Worth the $70? Opinions and pictures are appreciated! Thanks!

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Very well. Weekly wipe over with baby wipes keeps it sweet!

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Hate it

I bought one for my new iPad today in the cream color. Had finger prints and smudges all over it before I even got home and that was handling it with clean and dried hands. Will definitely be looking for a replacement case.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Black leather, a week shy of being a year old.

It's clearly not new out of the box, but it's held up well. It shows that it's been used, like a good leather computer bag, but just adds some character. It doesn't look worn as in frayed or anything. I should probably polish it sometime. :)

Is it worth $70? I'd really prefer it to have cost substantially less, but it is what it is. There was no dark gray poly smart cover when I bought it, so I didn't have much choice if I wanted black.

I'm super happy I took my chances and didn't include it with my ipad2 when I sold it in February. :D

I wouldn't get a light colored leather one though. Black or navy you can touch up with shoe polish.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
A year old here as well, black leather. Mine has been beat to crap and back, but I still like it. Its got gouges in it, scrapes, nicks, the creases between the panels are more wrinkled than granpa's butt and the corners are floppy.

But like a good pair of leather gloves, its SUPPOSED to look worn over time. I'm happy with how well its held up actually given the environment I expose it to daily (construction sites).

Better it than the screen.

pavvento

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2007
I just purchased the black leather and was a little disappointed with the quality of it; I expect better for $70. Also, it is quite firm as a stand when it is in the almost straight up position, but the case seems to 'buckle' when it is in the other position so it sometimes falls which is frustrating.

dajazz

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011
Mine started to separate on one of the corners, ended up taking it off after I noticed it was also scratching the aluminum back where the magnet bar attached.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
I picked up a leather one at Meijer for $40, the poly are $25. This was last week, I'm not sure if the price went up today being a new week, but if you have a Meijer in your area it might be worth checking.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
I just purchased the black leather and was a little disappointed with the quality of it; I expect better for $70. Also, it is quite firm as a stand when it is in the almost straight up position, but the case seems to 'buckle' when it is in the other position so it sometimes falls which is frustrating.

76 bucks seems like a lot of dough to spend on it.

Jasmynp

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
East Coast, USA
I have a black leather smart cover and it has held up very well. I like the simplicity of it and the form factor. It's pricey but after buying and returning too many cases to name, I'm th happiest with it.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
I'm using the red one from my iPad 2 and it's still in great shape almost a year later. Sure it's got a few marks + a little darker around the edges, but it doesn't look dirty, just a little weathered.

Djentleman

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
UK
The poly one is shocking. Attracts dirt like no mans business and there are like white patches on it, like it's been scraped. I don't know of that's a faulty one or they do that, but it's annoying, because I've only been using since Friday an it stays in another foam lines protective case most of the time.

kingalien

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2010
Earth
I agree with the other posters. Initially I bought a poly cover when the iPad 2 came out. Quickly swapped it for a black leather as I knew the poly one would quickly attract dirt. The black leather has held up quite well. It does show wear but is still good enough to be sold with my 2.

ValentinoV

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2012
I'm using the red one from my iPad 2 and it's still in great shape almost a year later. Sure it's got a few marks + a little darker around the edges, but it doesn't look dirty, just a little weathered.

Can u post some pics? I'm thinking about buying one for my white iPad

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
hmmm . . . poly attracts dirt more than leather? perhaps the poly material has more static electricity than leather??

The poly one is shocking. Attracts dirt like no mans business and there are like white patches on it, like it's been scraped. I don't know of that's a faulty one or they do that, but it's annoying, because I've only been using since Friday an it stays in another foam lines protective case most of the time.

----------

hmmm . . . poly attracts dirt more than leather, perhaps the poly material has more static electricity than leather??

I agree with the other posters. Initially I bought a poly cover when the iPad 2 came out. Quickly swapped it for a black leather as I knew the poly one would quickly attract dirt. The black leather has held up quite well. It does show wear but is still good enough to be sold with my 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.