How hot do the new 1.67 GHz PBs get?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ozone, Jul 21, 2005.

1. ozone macrumors 6502

ozone

Hi... how hot do the current, high end 1.67 GHz 15" or 17" PBs get? Does the underside get so hot that it can be uncomfortable to hold or put on a lap? How about under the wrist rest area?

Thanks.

2. noelister macrumors 6502

I am not sure with the 1.67. However I have a 1.5 and when I am using it on my lap it does not get too bad ( however, everybody will have there own opinion) but I use it with the performance set low for battery life. this is because typically I will only set it on my lap in the recliner while surfing the net (no need for the extra speed). On the second hand, when I have it setting on my desk while playing Warcraft or something it does get rather warm around the hinge area and on its underside but i have never noticed the area around the track pad getting warm. Hope this helps.

3. reberto macrumors 65816

reberto

Very Very Very Very Very Very Very

If you are going to use it for a long period of time or do something that requires A LOT oof power (Like playing Doom #. Trust me, I know) then you might want to put a twice folded towel on your lag or place it on a desk.

4. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

I second that.

Even with a towel folded across your lap it still gets hot. Makes you feel like you are getting hot flashes :D (and I'm a male to). Consider getting the iLap or something on that line.

Nuc

5. ozone thread starter macrumors 6502

ozone

So, does this mean that a 17" PB isn't too convenient to cart around and actually use as a laptop? I can't see myself hauling an iLap or something similar everywhere I go...

6. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

just don't play processor intensive video games for hours on end and it'll be fine...

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

They won't get too hot. Putting them on a towel is just bad advice. The heat doesn't escape well. You're actually better off putting it on your lap with some space between your legs so that the heat from the bottom of the PB can escape easier.

Also, anybody who plays Doom on their laptop is a fool. :p