Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Col127

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2003
hey guys.

this is specifically towards the owners of G5 Dual 2.0 Ghz machines. i'm just wondering how hot your machine typically runs at? after upgrading to tiger and adding some more ram (1 GB), i noticed my machine runs a lot hotter than before and the fans come on a lot more often, for longer periods and at much higher speeds (meaning it gets pretty loud). has anyone else had this happen?

astral

macrumors member
May 9, 2005
I'm new to macs so i can't compare to Panther, but my PM G5 fans seem to kick on for no apparent reason after being on for awhile. It's understandable when I'm bogging down the system with photoshop/final cut, but it will also kick up when just adium is on.

mikemodena

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2005
Connecticut
Switzermac said:
which ram would you recommend for a pb

Crucial Ram is good.. I got a gig of ram from Omni Technologies on eBay and it works great for me.. but some people have said it hasn't worked for them.

Col127

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2003
the room temperature makes sense to me. the room my g5 is in gets really really hot. i have to keep my fan on to keep me cool or else i'll start sweating like crazy :p

i didn't know the fans were based on the room temp? i thought it was the internal temp that it monitored??

and i doubt it's bad ram, because if it was, the machine would crash, wouldn't i? i've had bad sticks of ram before and it'd freeze up my system.

Militar

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2005
While I don't have a dual G5 2.0ghz, I believe it remains relatively cool even under 24/7 folding. The back vents do get hot, but I think that's more to do with how efficient the PM is able to transfer heat away from the cpus.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
I have mine in a basement office, and it never, ever gets anywhere near "hot" there. My Dual PM is fine. The fans have never kicked in even once. As a matter of fact it's one of the quietest Macs I've ever owned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.