how hot does your G5 Dual 2.0 GHZ run?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Col127, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Col127 macrumors 6502

Sep 13, 2003
    hey guys.

this is specifically towards the owners of G5 Dual 2.0 Ghz machines. i'm just wondering how hot your machine typically runs at? after upgrading to tiger and adding some more ram (1 GB), i noticed my machine runs a lot hotter than before and the fans come on a lot more often, for longer periods and at much higher speeds (meaning it gets pretty loud). has anyone else had this happen?
  2. astral macrumors member

May 9, 2005
    I'm new to macs so i can't compare to Panther, but my PM G5 fans seem to kick on for no apparent reason after being on for awhile. It's understandable when I'm bogging down the system with photoshop/final cut, but it will also kick up when just adium is on.
  3. Switzermac macrumors regular

Jun 28, 2005
    it depends on room temperature sosince its summer the fans will come on more often
  4. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

Dec 8, 2003
    Maybe you got some bad ram? I've got 1GB of crucial ram in my dual G5 and the fans never spin up.
  5. Switzermac macrumors regular

Jun 28, 2005
  6. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

May 30, 2005
    Crucial Ram is good.. I got a gig of ram from Omni Technologies on eBay and it works great for me.. but some people have said it hasn't worked for them.
  7. Col127 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 13, 2003
    the room temperature makes sense to me. the room my g5 is in gets really really hot. i have to keep my fan on to keep me cool or else i'll start sweating like crazy :p

i didn't know the fans were based on the room temp? i thought it was the internal temp that it monitored??

and i doubt it's bad ram, because if it was, the machine would crash, wouldn't i? i've had bad sticks of ram before and it'd freeze up my system.
  8. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Jul 22, 2002
    Almere, The Netherlands
    that's almost the same, it takes the air out of the room to cool itself, if you got hot air, then it can't cool itself as efficient.
  9. Militar macrumors member

Jul 4, 2005
    While I don't have a dual G5 2.0ghz, I believe it remains relatively cool even under 24/7 folding. The back vents do get hot, but I think that's more to do with how efficient the PM is able to transfer heat away from the cpus.
  10. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Apr 26, 2002
    I have mine in a basement office, and it never, ever gets anywhere near "hot" there. My Dual PM is fine. The fans have never kicked in even once. As a matter of fact it's one of the quietest Macs I've ever owned.