Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M-X

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
I've got a refurb CD 2.16, 7200rpm. I'm about a week in and loving the speed (after 6 months of using my ti 800 as my main machine after I sold my pmg5)

One question tho - how hot is hot on these things? In particular I've noticed a constant fan type noise on the left had side towards the front. Weird thing is I thought this was where the HD was not the CPU?

Using smcfancontrol i get temp readings of 65-68 Celsius when the cpu is idle, upto 80+ when i'm pushing it hard (hd video/ logic). That seems pretty insane, even compared to my old dual core g5...should i be worried. The 'fan' noise is more annoying than the heat but i'm worried they may be related.

AHT and Techtool Deluxe report no errors, and ramping the fans sounds normal to me.

I don't think i have whine or moo or any of that jazz, but a super hot laptop is neither good for longevity or for my future children. I also get the odd loud click, which i think is the hd spinning up and down tho.

Should I be raising this with applecare/ the apple store (its only 6 days old)?

Thanks

M-X

TaylorB

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2006
If you are idling at 149 Degrees F (65 C) then I think something is wrong. I idle at around 90 Degrees F (32.2 C.) I'm no professional or anything but I would definitely suggest talking to your local Apple Store about it. I hope this helps. :)

ericssonboi

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
I used to idle around 60C + ... but after downloading FanControl, i've been able to idle around 42C + .... Huge improvement on heat..

M-X

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
:cool:

Spoke to Applecare and they said 'yeah we've had quite a few Macbook Pros with this problem'. They even acknowledged that my screen warp (oh didn't mention that) was due to the heat coming off the left side.

Well in my usual fashion, I've already agreed a full refund with Apple (within the hour of posting here), got an RMA and its going back next week.

This follows my history of good service but slightly subpar products with them - i guess I pick'em. First I bought a 1.8sp G5 refurb only to get it replaced 7 months down the line with a brand new dual core g5 without a sniff of having to return it apple...just argued my corner on the quicktime freeze. Firmware patch came out the day after i got the new beast hehe

This time, I buy the old mbp 3 days before the new one is realised lol - back it goes. Can't get a replacement cos its refurb, but i'll put the money towards the C2D MBP :p

Thanks for the advice guys - now to decide on 2.16 or 2.33...

M-X

NJuul

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
Boston
Mine is pretty hot, idling in the 60'ties and pushing 80 when working.
Just out of interest, how's your top case warped?
Can you actually see that it's curved when it's open?
When mine is closed, the top corners are both about 2 mm open, while the middle (where the lock is) is closed firmly.
Just wondering if it's something worth getting fixed, as I don't want the lcd cracking a few years down the line.

M-X

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Just out of interest, how's your top case warped?
Can you actually see that it's curved when it's open?
When mine is closed, the top corners are both about 2 mm open, while the middle (where the lock is) is closed firmly.
Just wondering if it's something worth getting fixed, as I don't want the lcd cracking a few years down the line.

The warping is basically to the left corner, so when the lid's closed it isn't flush with the body...maybe I'm being anal but the fact it wasn't like that when I bought it, but has bent over 5 days of casual use is alarming. I guess it is a cosmetic thing - applecare described it as 'sensory' - but for me its about the larger issue of the heat warping it [and the excessive noise of the machine]. One thing i don't want is a fried notebook months down the line...

YMMV, but apple did seem fairly sympathetic and unsurprised really.

M-X

NJuul

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
Boston
The warping is basically to the left corner, so when the lid's closed it isn't flush with the body...maybe I'm being anal but the fact it wasn't like that when I bought it, but has bent over 5 days of casual use is alarming. I guess it is a cosmetic thing - applecare described it as 'sensory' - but for me its about the larger issue of the heat warping it [and the excessive noise of the machine]. One thing i don't want is a fried notebook months down the line...

M-X

Thanks, nice to know.
It sounds like the same "problem" here then. Guess I'll put the warping on the list of repairs I'd like to have performed.
Have a few other problems that definitely needs to get fixed (cpu whine, fan problem and lcd buzz). Just need to find a few weeks where I can be without it...

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
:cool:

Spoke to Applecare and they said 'yeah we've had quite a few Macbook Pros with this problem'. They even acknowledged that my screen warp (oh didn't mention that) was due to the heat coming off the left side.

M-X

What does your warped screen look like? Is it actually the screen or the casing which borders the casing?

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
If you are idling at 149 Degrees F (65 C) then I think something is wrong. I idle at around 90 Degrees F (32.2 C.) I'm no professional or anything but I would definitely suggest talking to your local Apple Store about it. I hope this helps. :)

I used to idle around 60C + ... but after downloading FanControl, i've been able to idle around 42C + .... Huge improvement on heat..

Mine idles around 45ºC but feels cooler than my old 38ºC idling PowerBook

Mine seems to idle around 55ºC. :)

Glad to hear that Apple is going to replace your system for you M-X. :)

Yawn. I whup all -a- yallllzz!!! Idling at around 83º C. :D

Yes my screen warped (they already replaced it once!!!). Once it hits around 90º C the fans come on full blast, though it has experienced thermal shutdowns twice. :mad: :mad: :mad:

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Yawn. I whup all -a- yallllzz!!! Idling at around 83º C. :D

Yes my screen warped (they already replaced it once!!!). Once it hits around 90º C the fans come on full blast, though it has experienced thermal shutdowns twice. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Kingsly, I hope that your MBP is not on your lap at that temperature....you know what can happen don't you?! :p :D

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Come next week i'd really appreciate it if the folks at MacRumors could direct all that good RDF energy toward me in my quest to get a replacement MBP. :)

Will do buddy. :)

***starts to send good vibes to Kinglsy***

BTW: right now (with JUST safari on) its running at 81º C and the fans are running hard.

That is crazy. :eek:

Mine is currently at 48º C, and I have Safari, iTunes, Activity Monitor, and Temperature Monitor is open. Plus, I am driving an external display and set of speakers.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
Kingsly, have you run the hardware test from your install disc? you might want to try that. Run both the short and the long ones. my MBP ended up going in for a fan replacement. It's a bit cooler now and the fan no longer makes a grinding noise...but I tend to idle in the 60s Celsius still. Imagine my dismay when I heard the C2Ds were idling 20ºC cooler :(

Right now: running mail, safari, iChat, Messenger:mac, and activity monitor (all universal, obviously) on my 2.16/2GB MBP1,1 and temps ranging between 75 and 83 celsius. :(

Got up into the low-mid 90s a little while ago running soundtrack pro.

stealthman1

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2006
Ca
Wow! Those are some crazy temps! With FanControl I saw 42 to 45C idle temps, no way you should be idleing above 50C. I'd be sending that back too. I acknowledge that with extreme performance comes some not so pleasant realities, heck my 150mhz Sony from 1998 (?) ran warm, but it still has to be usable. Heck my MP, while it running confortably, generates tremendous amounts of ambient heat keeping itself comfortable. It will be interesting to see how much I want to use it on a 105 degree Sacramento day! Meanwhile my office won't need much heat this winter!:D :rolleyes:

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
with the SMC control app, I can get it down to the mid-40s when I run it at about 3500RPM, 40 degrees @4000 if i'm running quinn and iTunes.

stealthman1

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2006
Ca
with the SMC control app, I can get it down to the mid-40s when I run it at about 3500RPM, 40 degrees @4000 if i'm running quinn and iTunes.
I saw the temperatures I quoted at 1600 to 1700rpm. If I set the min fan speed at 3000rpm at idle I would see 35Cish in short order, never left it at that speed for more than 10 minutes.
On edit...week 40 build.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005

M-X

had this same problem with the 12" pb i bought for my girlfriend. we returned the first one i had bought for her and the manager explained to me why the lid was not opening properly. he showed me how the lid was not flush with the casing in the back. he exchanged free of charge. the second one was perfect.

until she dropped it several months later. :rolleyes:

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
I saw the temperatures I quoted at 1600 to 1700rpm. If I set the min fan speed at 3000rpm at idle I would see 35Cish in short order, never left it at that speed for more than 10 minutes.
On edit...week 40 build.

heh...this heat thing really makes me wish I had a C2D MBP....

i'm running at a little under 60 with the fan control at 3000RPM :(

MacKarl

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2006
Voltage?

I would run hardware test, but I imagine Apple did that both times it went in for repairs (both times for overheat issues!) Every time it seemed to come back warmer than when it left. :eek:

Right now: Safari... 81º C

That is hot! Have you checked your voltage and frequency with CoolBook?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.