how hot is your power supply for your PB

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by oldschool, Feb 13, 2004.

1. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

my power supply for my powerbook seems to get very hot...almost to the point of not being able to touch it...

is this normal?

2. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

Can't say mine does, or any I've used at school.... good luck.

3. oldschool thread starter macrumors 65816

oldschool

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    nope mine gets warm but not too hot that you can't handle it

5. altair macrumors regular

6. russed macrumors 68000

russed

mine also gets really hot. where it is it is quite well ventilated, but then occasionally it cuts off and stops working altogether. the only way to get it working again is to remove the plug bit and then put it back on again!

7. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Mine gets very hot but you can still hold it. I wouldn't want it to get any hotter, but I still think it is running under normal operating conditions it was designed for. I have no problems with it, other than it feeling a little warm. I guess this is normal.

BTW, is that the same plastic they use for the iBooks? It seems to scratch very easily.

8. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

My iBook power adapter gets really hot, sometimes a little too hot to be comfortable, but I don't really have a problem with it.

9. oldschool thread starter macrumors 65816

oldschool

alright guys...seems mine is exactly the same...

i was just a little concerned because my dad picked up the power supply and said that it shouldn't be that hot...now i can tell him he's wrong :D

10. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Mine barely even gets warm. My old "flying saucer" supply didn't get hot either. Seems like a problem to me.

11. oldschool thread starter macrumors 65816

oldschool

Everybody else seems to have the same problem though...are you using yours for long periods of time?

12. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I just touched my power supply and its barely warm. It's been plugged in to the same outlet for a little over a month. I'd agree that there might be a problem with your power supply.

13. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Oh, yes, constantly. I'm a die-hard power supply/battery abuser, and mine never gets hot.

14. altair macrumors regular

regardless of how warm it is, why is it a problem? just because its different from the one you have? naw, it just gets warmer, not like its going to make my floor catch on fire.

15. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Here's why I believe it's a problem:

I have two friends, one with a PB, and one with an iBook. Both use the same square power adaptor I use. I've never had a problem out of my power adaptor, but my friend with the PB is on his fifth adaptor and my friend with the iBook is on his third adaptor.

Both have told me that each time one of their power adaptors has died, it became unbearably hot for several days, then it died.

So, it seems to me, at least from my experience, that an extremly hot power adaptor will eventually end with a dead one.

16. oldschool thread starter macrumors 65816

oldschool

It seems that it only gets hot occasionally...last night i had it plugged in for two hours and it became unbearably hot...today i've had it plugged in for four hours, and its just barely warm.

Very weird.

This is my second power supply, as the first was making a very loud buzzing.

17. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Don't worry about it, the TiBook 1ghz (which i have) takes alot of power just to stay running... iBooks take less power and therefore the power adapters are cooler.