How Important Consoles Really Are, Or: Why We Make Such a Fuss About Them

Discussion in 'Games' started by clayj, Oct 31, 2006.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

i dont know if I should laugh or feel pitiful, when my SNES got broken a few months ago I was totally depressed about it

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

This makes me happy to know I'm getting bored of games:)

Bless

3. aholden12592 macrumors regular

the reason we make such a fuss over them is because they are freakin awesome!!

4. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Same here, I do miss sitting in fron the the tube for hours on end though. Those were the days. I can't do that anymore, games don't hold my attention like they use to. Unless it's against some competition, then it never ends :D

5. aholden12592 macrumors regular

i remember going crazy over shadow of the colossus. i've spent a good 3-5 hours on some. That salamander was a bitch

6. harveypooka macrumors 65816

To quote Dilbert: GAAAAAAAA!

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah that realisation hit me the other day too, the fact that I could so easily talk myself out of getting a wii or ps3, whereas a couple of years ago i'd be all over them, getting anxious to have them the day of launch.

Now theres day's, weeks even that I dont even load up ANY console/computer game, i just can't be bothered.....

8. harveypooka macrumors 65816

I've only played Half Life recently as I somehow missed the original...due to owning a Mac without an Intel chip. I'm going to be looking at Zen Puzzle Garden this week though, sounds a really cool little game.

9. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

There's a huge generation of gamers (we're both probably in this group) about 24-29 who are done with college, getting "real" lives with families, careers, etc. that, while we enjoy gaming, don't have the time to spend on it we used to. And it feels wierd to us. We used to spend 10 hours a day trying to beat Zelda or FF, or all night playing GoldenEye with buddies. Now we're lucky to pick up a controller for an hour on the weekend to play a game of Mario Kart with the kids/wife/whatever.

There's two things I can see from this. One, Nintendo is going to sell a LOT of Wii's to people like that - 15 minutes on Wii Sports is something we have the time for, and will get a kick out of. Two, I need to finish Halo (Halo 1 - Halo 2 is still sitting in the box waiting for me to finish the first game - it's been almost 4 months) tonight. Sigh.

10. harveypooka macrumors 65816

So you think that most gamers just shrug off gaming when they start "real life"? It's as simple as having more pressing things to do?

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I agree with him, it's not a case of shrugging off gaming, as we no longer have the time or priorty to spend the amount of time on it.

If your starting a family, then obviously priorty wise children come before games period, or relationships in general, if your partner isnt a gamer then you have to factor in quality time with them.

Then there are other external factors too

For example there are days I'm 12 hours infront of my mac slogging away at design work for clients and after a tiring day the last thing I actually want to do is turn on ANY computer/console game, I'd rather listen to some music and read a book for an hour or two to unwind....Gaming can be exhausting, there are very few games that just allow you to chill out (bar elektroplankton on the ds)

I'll always be a gamer, and I love the gaming industry it's been a good part of my life for as long as I can remember, and I do get excited about new hardware, and always have an interest in them, but it no longer feels like such a necessary part of me.

As Mr.Green says 24-29 things begin to change, but that's just life.

12. harveypooka macrumors 65816

I'm just about 23 and am fearing losing games. Mind you, I just pick them up every once in a while. I haven't played WoW in nearly THREE WEEKS. For me, that's crazy. My mate who is just over 30 and has two kids spends most nights on WoW, even if it means using one hand to hold his newborn and the other on the mouse....

I guess if games are really important (I see many as art, Half Life 2 for instance is incredible, music, design - all brought together) you make time for them. But I totally get the "must relax, no games - calm!".

13. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I too am getting sick of the current games out....I was playing battlefront 2 a few weeks ago, and just did not care. Maybe its because I've play it SO much, but even looking at my friends massive xBox game collection I couldn't find a game I really wanted to play. Also my NGC doesn't get much use anymore(however we will see if that stays true when I pick up some new games)

My DS on the other hand is always a blast to play, and there always seems to be a strong stream of games I can go out and buy

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

last year i started picking up games more, it was good, but i got bored of the repetitiveness. i still love some of the games, and WoW has resparked the gamer in me because of just how vast the game is. i haven't touched my Xbox or GC for weeks.

15. Trishul macrumors regular

Trishul

i agree, i'm 24, and to be honest i'm not the busiest person in the world, i have a lot of 'free' time on my hands that can easily be wasted, but these days i find myself playing games a LOT less, i'm starting to find it mundane, i used to think finding all 99 hidden packages in GTA was imperative, now i think "what did that really achieve?" apart from some statistic in some generated menu, and some bragging rights, which used to mean something before, but now thanks to the net there's always someone who's done that and then some.

nowadays i only want to pick up a game that will transport me to another world, and make me want to achieve something within it, Half Life 2 is a recent example, and Shadow of The Colossus restored my faith in games in general, a truly sublime experience, not unlike what Ico did for me all those years back (after FFVII, the only game to bring real tears to my eyes).

i'd much rather get the truly stand out games and just spend my time on them, considering getting a 360 as there's some good stuff now and upcoming (i.e. Double Agent, COD3 and GOW). I've noticed there's only really RPGs coming out on the PC, to me levelling up and stats are what makes games mundane and pointless, 5 hrs of storyline and exploration, 35 hrs of pointlessness, i just want action, carefree challenging action, so in that regard consoles seem to offer it, and the Wii looks like something only a console could really offer, and it'll be interesting to see whether it makes guys like me get excited again (Zelda is usually enough for me to do that).. at least until GTA4 comes out.. now there's a game series worth feeling like a schoolboy again!!

16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I'm in the same boat, I haven't touched my PS2 or GameCube in weeks, which is unheard of for me, and I got a free month of City of Heroes and haven't played in a week...

What's wrong with me? No idea. The DS kept me going up till now but the summer drought wore me out. I even got Paper Mario 2 and have hardly played it, and I haven't finished MegaMan X Collection or a couple other games.

17. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I think the main thing is not so much that we have less interest in gaming, or even less time all said and done, but rather that we have more things competing for that time, and it's divided up into ever smaller increments.

This is why DS games like Brain Age and New Super Mario Bros are some of the best selling titles out there: you can play for 10-15 minutes at a time, and only as often as you want without trouble. I haven't beat Halo yet because I am 80-90% through the game and the areas of the game are starting to take 30-60 minutes to make it through (when you factor in retrying the over and over again because they are getting harder). I only have an hour long block to devote to gaming once a week, many times less.

I'm trading in some RPGs and "longer" adventure games for some DS titles and other stuff I can play for small increments (like New Super Mario Bros, Brain Age, Viewtifle Joe, etc) this week, in fact. This is why gaming was GREAT back in "the day"... it was a diversion, a distraction. It wasn't something that you devoted yourself to... it was fun (Mario World) not work (WoW).

18. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I have found that because I have a job I can actually afford to buy pretty much every game that I really wanna own. Whereas when I was a kid, I could only get a handful of games a year so I would LOVE them. Now I have a lot so it's kinda like "meh..kinda bored of this one...ah well, onto the next!"

That and there are too many games. This month I could EASILY buy 10 games if I really wanted to. And those games that I don't buy (ie. Bully) I will never play because by the time I want to buy something new, another game will have caught my eye.

19. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well it's time of launch so of course a big fuss is made of them ... it's every console generation the same .. within 1 year it will very likely be back to much normal levels.. even more so when PC gaming takes back the throne of graphical superiority

personally i have been playing DS and PC the last half year mostly and only touched consoles for multiplayer/party games before going out in the evening

more i found it interesting that i'm somehow going back into my gaming past in terms of taste.. it's kinda interesting that i prefer game genres which i liked like 10 years (flight games + strategy).. and completely ignore genres i was all over 5 years ago (shooters)

i can play like an hour il-2 with perhaps shooting down 2-3 other planes and find it much more worth it than gunning through some ego shooter for an hour.. it's kinda weird

20. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

thank god i am not getting bored of games. Life wouldn't be the same without them. It probably is part of what I am.

21. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

all you people getting bored of games my recomendation is get into multiplayer.

some people have fun with single player but honestly it just gets repetitive after a while. (at least for me, I dont look at games anymore unless the multiplayer element is as significant as the singleplayer.)

at the moment I recomend bf2 it's the only game that holds my attention anymore.

22. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

That pretty much describes my feelings about games, time is precious and I don't have 300 hours to blow on a MMORPG just so I can start doing some of the quests which are not even the hardest and no matter good you play, the people who have played more time than you will kill you.

Now games like Devil May Cry 3 or Metal Gear Solid are games of skill and can be really fun even in small increments.

I've stopped gaming too, there is nothing good to play, all that bunch of crappy games, the last good game I played was... hmmm possibly the great games of late 2004/early 2005, the PS2 has had a shortage of good games since then.

I used to play a lot, now I barely play an hour a week if I even play at all and i recently got Okami and its awesoem but I just don't want to play.

23. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Heh, not sure how old you are, but I've cycled through about every type of gaming ... twice. Single player console games - NES/SNES era. Single player computer gaming - early adventure games (Lucas/Sierra). Multiplayer FPS gaming -> Quake in HS lab with 12 players (or whatever it was). Q2 came out and we got to fill the lab with players. Multiplayer console gaming -> Mario Kart and 007 on the SNES and 64, respectively, anyone? MMO's -> MUDs in the 90's, UO after that. Back to single player console gaming -> Xbox and GBA. Then back to multiplayer computer gaming -> WoW then Puzzle Pirates. Multiplayer console gaming, again -> more Mario Kart and Mario Party on the GC. Back to single player console gaming again, with my DS mainly atm.

Point is that games have evolved well, but there's not been anything really revolutionary in awhile, and the gaming market goes in cycles anyways. It becomes less and less attractive to spend precious hours on games when you have so much else to do... I can get the same amount of fun out of a 15 minute session with Mario Kart or the mini games in Mario Party/Mario 64 on DS as I would have with a 3 hour 007 session on the 64 7 years ago.

The Wii will add some new opportunities, which is promising... I'm hoping that there's a light gun game revival next year, fueled by the Wii controller, and I can go on a huge light gun phase which I haven't done before... bring on some Operation Wolf!