How important is the video card in a laptop....

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by brhmac, Feb 2, 2004.

1. brhmac macrumors regular

... for someone who needs a laptop for writing, Web design, graphics, iTunes and some iMovie use?

I really like the form factor of the 12" PowerBook and I just need a laptop to replace my G3 PB until I make the plunge in about a year for a G5 desktop.

I won't be doing any gaming on the PB, so the card that comes with the 12" seems fine to me. I read so many people carping about the 32 mb card, though, that it makes me wonder. I notice the 15" PB has 64 mb and a different card, but I've never understood the difference from one to the next (64 mb sounds more impressive, but does a nongamer need it?)

:confused:

Thanks for your perspective. If there's a resource you could direct me to learn more about these video cards, would appreciate that too.

2. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

i do some light gaming GTA3 simcity 4 the sims etc on my PC with a 32MB GF2MX and it does the job perfectly
    even the 9200 in the ibook would be fine for some light gaming so i wouldn't worry about the graphics card, the extra 32 MB won't help anything if you're not going to do gaming so the 12 inch pb card is more than enough

3. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

yeah, the 32 mb card in the 12 inch ibooks and powerbook is great for what its intended. Its not a gaming machine, but it still provides great grahpics well supporting quartz extreme. And the 12 inch powerbook can drive an external display in spanned mode. On a apple laptop the million dollar question is: does it support quartz extreme. All of them do. I am happy with the old geforce4mx in my powerbook, which is really a re-badged geforce2.

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    you wont be running halo with high fps, but it should do fine for light to med photoshop work