How Impressed Are You with the "Next-Gen"?

Discussion in 'Games' started by sikkinixx, Jan 16, 2007.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

For me, not very.

I was thinking about this today (Poli Sci class is dreadfully boring...) and aside from brief moments of this --> :D for the most part, the 'next-gen' (the current gen now I suppose) has been a whole lot of this --> :eek: .

I got my 360 on launch in 05 and nearly crapped myself when I went to pick it up. I nearly crapped myself when I set it up. I nearly crapped myself thrice when I fired up CoD2 on my 44" DLP. A week later, CoD2 beaten, PD0 beaten and 6 games into a Madden 06 season...it was over. A brief, 60 hours of joy when Obilvion came out then....it was over again. Dead Rising was a hint of what Next-Gen might mean. All those zombies, all those things to use, no frame rate drops, it was great! But.....64,000 zombies dead later....*sigh* Gears was supposed to respark my interest in the 360 and it did that....for about 2 weeks. Sure it looked nice, but it was very cramped, with predictable battles, repetitive gameplay, sloppy controls and a lackluster multiplayer (basically a chainsaw-fest).

Wii was marketed as the system that would change gaming. Thats why it's big name title was a ported Gamecube game :confused: The Wiimote is totally cool and it has a lot of potential but so far nothing on Wii (or that I see coming out in thenear future) NEEDS the wiimote, it won't replace a controller, its just a new option. And what happens when 360/PS3 games are pumping the polygons out? Will a control scheme keep me playing with near previous gen graphics? The VC is neat as well but XBL has been there and done that. Weather Channel? News Channel? Or I could just put it on channel 17 or channel 32 on my tv and get the stuff live with no syncing time.

Before about September I would have sold my kidney for a PS3...then they started to pull a Sony and screw things up. But hey, I still wanted one and I got one just before Christmas. While it is really cool, I'm not blown away yet... Sure it does all sort of fancy stuff, the PSP-link is cool (albeit slow) and having a cheap Blu-Ray player is badass. But nothing new with the games. In fact I have played the Motorstorm demo more than i have the retail games. Resistance is a lot of fun, but pretty vanilla. It shows hints of what 'next-gen' is with its 40 person multiplayer, zero frame rate drops with lots of action and being an overall quality game...but still nothing to rock my socks. Not to mention the PS3 has a a few little issues (not being able to use my iPod with it :mad: for example) and overall I have yet to go :eek: while playing.

I guess I am just too picky, but I much prefer playing my SNES and my Genesis and my PS2 than playing my shiny new (and expensive) systems. The gaming industry seems stuck in sequel mode, just rehashing the same crap over and over and over again. I hope that 2007 makes me feel different.

*takes a deep breath and starts playing Link to the Past for the 10000th time*

2. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Not enough to consider upgrading my PS2. Besides, The ONLY game I desperately want right now is going to be released for the PS2 in a month's time, so Next-Gen is not for me right now

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Don't worry it will get better. I don't think any game of any generation made me go.....:eek:

maybe if you try new genre it will lighten it up for you...thats what I did...I only played 3rd person action/adventure and horror games now I play FPS and its gotten a little better.

Bless

4. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I do play pretty much everything, from Action to FPS to RPGs to Fighters to whatever.

Sadly, nothing has really made me :eek: :eek: :eek:

5. pcypert macrumors 6502

Sorry you feel that way. I get nostalgic and play all my old games (I like to stay up sometimes and beat Super Mario World with all the levels on all three players to get the bonus screen :) ). But still enjoy the new games. I'm impressed with where things are heading honestly. There's nothing new under the sun though and games are going to be slight tweaks of things that have worked before for the most part because you don't sink millions into developing something untested these days. The world isn't very forgiving. You just make better versions of things that have come before.

Paul

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I was already used to the graphics the 360 was pushing out so there was no :eek: I think GoW is the only game out which my PC couldn't do. But I've never been one to be impressed by pure graphics alone.

Wii? I did smile like crazy when I played my first game on it. And as ****ing fantastic as Zelda is - I can't wait to see how the AAA Wii developed games turn out.

PS3? Well that's simply not out yet.

I'm impressed with the DS Lite too. FF3 really brought the tired and ancient gameplay to life again. Really nice game, along with MP:Hunters and Mario I've been thoroughly impressed.

7. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

For one thing, I'm very impressed with Xbox Live. It has plenty of nice features and the addition of the Gamerscore provides a friendly competition among my friends (Heh, I'm winning in my circle AND only from playing far less games than my friends).

Also, after playing Call of Duty 3 on the Wii and aiming with the Wii Remote, I really don't want to go back to a mouse or a dual analog controller. The aiming control clicked perfectly with me and really got me more involved into the game.

So I'm pretty darn happy with the "Next-Gen" when it comes to an excellent on-line service and a more intuitive way to control a game.

PS3? I'm sure it'll impress me.. eventually.

8. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

God of War made me go :eek: a couple times. I'm hoping I can get GoW II soon!

What "current-gen" games do you recommend?

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^ SoTC, ICO, POP3, Silent Hill 2-4, Primal, The Mark Of Kri, Otogi, Okami,

Bless

10. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

DS lite....Tons of fun, really a top notch handheld

Wii- Holy Crap, I love this system. It just makes gaming more fun. I'm picking up game I never though I would buy because of it. Madden 07...I hated Madden on NGC/PS2/xBox.

xBox 360- Graphics are nice, but I still feel like the system lack game I'd play. I've planned on buying one for a while, and most of the game I wanted were xBox (Halo 2, Star Wars Battlefront 2) GoW is nice, but thats really the only must buy for me. And for 500 with Wi-Fi I'll need more to push me over(Halo 3 please!!) But I have to say xBox live is a very good online service, worth the price no doubt.

PS3- R:FoM is tons of fun, a great shooter but nothing not worth buying a PS3, And aside of Fall of Man, I think the PS3 has a huge lack of games. Graphics are good, but I though it was going to be a lot better then xBox 360, over all its pretty much the same, but for more money.

PSP- Very cool hardware....I mean its great, but then I look at controls...Shooters suck on it, I always though of a PSP as a PS2 to go, but the cut down controls on it make it terrible. Not to mention it lacks enough games(if the controls were better I think some PS2 port would have been better) Sony hasn't made the PSP as a stand out system IMO.

Over all I'd have to say I like "Next Gen"....Wii changed things up for me, and Nintendo still doesn't have the games I'm really ready for. xBox 360 and PS3 seem like something that could have been done with PS2/xBox just not looking as nice. NGC could have had an add on for the Wii remote, but since the Wii remote is standard more Devs are using it in better ways.

Not to mention I love VC...catching up on old school games!

11. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I'm not saying I have had no fun. I have had a blast playing Resistance online, and Dead Rising made for a very entertaining time but overall I just can't help but feel that so far nothing I have played for the new systems will be in my library twill be around then the next-next gen comes arond. It's not making me go "thats why I love playing games" like the older systems used to. I play a game like OoT or SoTC or FFT or Mario 64 or Fallout 2 (not for a console I know) and it holds my attention for a few play throughs. They were fresh and fun and worth my $70, but now most games are basically renters as they are usually a) quick to beat b) the same old same old with a new coat of paint and c) will be easily forgotten a few years from now.

12. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

That freakin' rocks! I've yet to play it like I should (without "educational stress", as in "I've got a mid term tomorrow") but the first three colossi are awesome.

13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

This is why mutiplayer/online is fun and i'm glad all of the consoles have it standard now.....SoTC is a great game and sometimes I play it just to horseback ride around the beautiful world.

Bless

14. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

:rolleyes: to you as well.

15. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Regardless of the Wii lacking sufficient launch titles to truly optimize usage of the Wiimote, with Zelda and other games it has proven to be a solid foundation for good games to come. The lack of truly interesting games that are specific to the wii would be a flaw, but what's out there gives a great demonstration of what the system is capable of.

Sure the titles have been "meh" and the graphics a bit underwhelming in some cases, but i have found myself picking up the wiimote truly in the action. I was lost in the last gen of systems mid cycle, i just wasn't interested by the titles that came out. It was all the same gameplay, so little variation. The Wii gives me that fresh appeal of a new style to game, breathing new life into me as a gamer.

I won't comment on actually PLAYING the PS3 and XBox 360 because i haven't played either myself, but with all the hype about the machines (particularly the PS3) and seeing what they've delivered, i've yet to really be impressed. The 360 graphically has impressed me the most from pictures and video i've seen, making some truly gorgeous games, but the genre hasn't really been redefined by many titles. As for the PS3, after the veil was dropped, the mystery revealed seems to be an overpriced piece of plastic :p

16. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Using a control pad to play Trauma Center would be utterly sucktastic. W/o the DS or Wii a game like Trauma Center doesn't get made.

Not that this is directly involved w/gaming, but Microsoft's handling of Xbox Live is very impressive. The game related content (demo's, additional content, etc.,) are obvious uses, but the HD movie downloads and IPTV capabilities are pretty interesting and the long talked about "computer as the center of your living room" concept is finally becoming a reality in the main stream.

I guess I'm not too disappointed by the current state of things because I didn't have unrealistically high hopes to begin with, and the fact that the Wii and PS3 are just out and pretty much every console is weakest at it's launch.

Lethal

17. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

I think these next gen systems aren't living up to some people because of the lack of games. Really what happened is that they're comparing the library of a 6 year old console to one that is 3 months old which is really unfair. My roommate bought a 360 this month and I haven't touched it. The graphics look nice but nothing spectacular for me yet (I hate shooters. Come on Winning Eleven). PS3 has absolutely nothing that I'd want and doesn't have anything on its release list that peaks my interest. I did buy a wii in November and it has been amazing. I think the reason is that I live in a 4 person townhouse in college and we're all competitive for our scores in wii bowling and our fitness age. We all get together to compete and it's just tons of fun. I bought WarioWare today and we all were laughing at how ridiculous it is. Overall it's been the best bang for our buck in terms of next-gen systems. Obviously nothing is going to beat our ps2 right now, but maybe in 3-4 years there will be a wealth of titles.

Also, I have a DS lite and it is the most amazing system in the world to me. If I had to pick one gaming system ever it would be this little sucker. Then again I prefer to play wherever I want and the DS has definitely got deeper games then the 8-bit gameboys did (apart from the Zelda's. God I love those).

18. bmb012 macrumors 6502

Well, I thought Elebits (or at least, what I've played of it already) was really fun, even where you can't break things or make noise, and certainly couldn't be done on many other systems (well maybe computer, but then it just wouldn't be any fun...)

I'm waiting for a first person shooter with a physics and puzzle system like Elebits, that would be insane.

19. blaster_boy macrumors 6502

blaster_boy

I'm jealous of all of you - all that free time to play games. I had to cut down on spending so much time with games when the wife and then the kids arrived. But that was good too, they showed me there's other stuff than just gaming.

@sikkinixx : maybe you just have too much free time on your hands and need to do something else while the new games arrive? No insult or sarcasm intended/meant.

I've got a Wii though, and I play Zelda:TP sometimes at night when it's quiet in the house. But I always start with a spot of Wii:Sports, especially the boxing is nice. Crap graphics, but fun to play with the family.

Really, for an semi-old geezer (almost 39!) like me the graphics are 'more than good enough'. And most of the good graphical stuff in new games (for now) you can still buy the pc version for.

20. blad3z macrumors member

Well..guess if you own a 360...you can wait for halo 3 to go :eek: all u like :p then again...you may not be so easily pleased...i think its really based upon the person themselves and what they define what a 'next gen' console shuld be,look like and produce. For some and well i guess for me...my 360 shows some beautiful graphics compared to the old one..and well since i dont get so much game play time..when i do play i enjoy...playing a game straight out will make it boring no doubt. so.. i dunno. just my 2cents to this. :)

21. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I love my 360. I never though that a console would completely replace my PC gaming, but it pretty much has. The XBL experience is so much better than any multiplayer experience I ever had on a PC. I will play some games through Boot Camp in the future (the next Half Life for example) but my 360 will see me through for everything else.

Not strickly next gen, more new model, my Wii is great in the lounge as a social console. Had 8 people around last night, and all loved the Wii. Brilliant for what its targetted to do, but can't see me putting in the hours on single players on the Wii. For me, its a fantastic second console...

22. islandman macrumors 6502

I have a 360 and it blows me away every time I play it. I can sit there for hours playing it. I play GRAW, CoD, and NCAA Football 2007 mostly, and I just can't get enough.

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Concur. I've practically stopped gming on my pc altogether. Only now and again do I boot up bootcamp to play my Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 (love it), but yeah I'm 100% happy with my 360.

360 Live is great, love the dash and menus. Love marketplace. Love my HD-DVD player.

I like my wii too (more so than I thought). Yes so far I've been dissapointed with some of the single player games on it, but Wi Sports, Monkeyball, Wario have kept me happy etc.

I will be getting a PS3, and I'm sure I'll be happy too.

As long as I can play the games I want to play I'll remain happy. :D

24. savar macrumors 68000

savar

I think you should try Gears multiplayer again. I've had a blast playing it, and I certainly don't think its too simple or one-dimensional. The chainsaw turns out to be pretty ineffective since everybody starts with a shotgun, and on the bigger maps taking cover and using long range weapons effectively while flanking and maintaining proper spacing become key.

The gameplay mechanics are different from most other games (my other favorite is Halo/Halo 2), and that's been hard to get used to. But I think the game is a blast, and I love playing with friends and coworkers because its so unpredictable, and wonderfully gory.