How is Apple as far as returning an open iPhone 5 the next day?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jetlagged, Nov 20, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

Alrite, its a nightmare come true. I bought a full price iPhone 5 at the local apple store today less than 3 hours ago for a grand total of $916. I bought it full price because I wanted to keep my unlimited verizon data plan. I was excited to finally upgrade my 2 year old iPhone 4.

But I think I want to return it tomorrow. Just wondering if Apple will ask me a reason why I want to return it? Will i need a reason? will they even take it back? I don't know how lenient or strict they are in regards to returning items like an iPhone 5. I understand theres a 14 days window where we can return apple items. Well if anybody can shed some light and input on their experience, it's much appreciated.

Well just in case you want to know, I just opened up my iPhone 5 black, and there's a scuff. I don't know if I can live with it. I'm sure I can, but I can't get over the fact that I spent $916 for a scuffed back. It's not so bad, but I cant get over it.

sorry for the poor image quality, I took it with my iphone 4.

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 6502a

tardman91

They should take it back no questions asked.

3. macrumors member

I've returned two phones no questions asked. You have 30 days to return it.

4. macrumors 6502a

They should be fine. IIRC apple has a 14 day return policy for opened devices, full refund.

My cousin got a 5 full price as well, I spotted a dead pixel and one of the corners was scuffed pretty bad. Unacceptable for how much he payed for it. Apple QC is awful.

5. macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

I returned a 32GB no questions asked.

6. macrumors 603

rgarjr

916 bucks is a lot of dough

7. thread starter macrumors regular

lol yeah. i had to think about it long and hard. i figure whatever i can sell for my iphone 4 (32 gb), which is worth $150-$200, plus all the loose coin change i've accumulated during the last few years, which i'm sure is worth $400 at the most (speaking of which i need to cash in at the coin-star machine at walmart), i figure i'd break even with it as if i was buying it at subsidized price.

8. macrumors member

Ha. If it were GSM, I'd take it off your hands. I am in the market for an unlocked one and don't care about a scuff. Wouldn't be the last one.

I think the price is just fine and cheaper than buying one with a 2-y contract. Do the math!

9. macrumors 68020

Squilly

Regarding that scratch/scuff, the same thing happened to mine when I purchased it. What happened: Called AppleCare, set up an appointment at Apple store, they took a 10 second look at it, new iPhone a minute later. Yeah, scratches are unacceptable, but at least they're doing something about it. Regarding returns, I don't know. I never returned any Apple products.

10. macrumors regular

I have a sealed black 64gb AT&T and 2 open box black&white 64gb AT&T with AppleCare+ and used for a little over a week if you are interested.

I am switching to Verizon and need to sell them.

11. thread starter macrumors regular

basically i want another one if possible if they are willing exchange it, but if not, i'll just return it outright. theres really no guarantee its gonna be scuff free until i open the box itself. now i definitely am sold on getting a case for sure now. i've been rocking my iphone 4 naked all along, but the iphone 5 will be a different story.

12. macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Umm you shouldn't have any issues with returning it.

13. macrumors 6502

Yeah but, if you get a service plan, even month to month.. How much are you spending over that 2 year period .. Phone + service?

14. macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

No kidding! How do people have that much money to burn on a phone? Must be nice.

15. macrumors 68020

Squilly

Won't be a problem. They should give you a brand new phone, not refurb. They check it to make sure there aren't any scratches on the replacement.

16. macrumors 6502a

OP got money to blow like that!

17. macrumors 6502a

OMG ... did the phone even work? :D

18. macrumors 6502

What the crap? How do you have a black iPhone 5 with a grey/silver aluminum back??

19. macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

yay for degrees

20. macrumors 604

lordofthereef

Priorities, really. I know people who spend that much eating out each month.

21. macrumors member

Thanks for the offer, it is intriguing. However, I was able to fix an issue I had with my i4, so I won't need a replacement at this time.

22. thread starter macrumors regular

alrite people moment of truth baby, moment of truth, going to inspect it right now. i went to the apple store today and exchanged it for same color, no questions asked, they didn't even inspect the phone for scuffing. they brought me out a new phone same color brand new sealed in the clear plastic wrapper.i opened it at the apple store and didnt see anything, but i'm at home right now and going to inspect it under all kinds of lighting conditions and at different angles.

i think i should have gotten the white, but oh well too late now. will give an update in a few.

well the phone looks good so far. no scuffs on the band, and back itself. no scuffs on the corner and edges. overall pretty satisfied. but at the same time i've come to accept that this phone will scuff over time eventually. until my case arrives wednesday this week, i'll sport my iphone 4 for now. now time to play with the phone itself and see if everything works, which i'm sure will be fine.

23. macrumors regular

smoge

Its the law! they have to give you your money back!

24. macrumors 68040

F123D

There's still scuff issues two months later? I thought apple was tigtening up their QC.

25. macrumors 6502

You shouldn't have any issues. I returned my iPhone 5 for replacement the next day because of a speck of dust under the screen.