How is Apple's market share right now? Is it growing?

Discussion in 'Community' started by GeneR, Apr 3, 2003.

1. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

I am wondering if the Switch ad seems to be working. I don't have a clue. However, being a rather biased person, I would like to say YES!

Nevertheless, feedback is very much appreciated. Thanks! :D

2. Computer_Phreak macrumors 6502

If anything, I would think that Apple's share is sinking due to the use of the aging G4 in their professional computers.

:(

3. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I would have to agree with comp freak.... Apple has sucky
    hardware.......:(. The software is great, but that doesn't
    attract as many people as they are losing. The 970 should do
    the trick. ;).

4. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Not if it comes out 2 years late, or never, like the fabled Moto G5 :mad:

5. iGav macrumors G3

Not sure if this is improved, but the latest figs for the U.S.

Desktop Macs win 3.8% of US market

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=6083

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That's up from 3.48 percent the prior year, which was up from 2.4 percent.

7. GeneR thread starter macrumors 6502a

GeneR

Dang.

That's a big market. But DANG, that's STILL a very small percent of that market.

DANG. :D

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Re: Dang.

Especially when Apple had 12 percent of the market in 1997--the year before the iMac arrived.

9. GeneR thread starter macrumors 6502a

GeneR

Re: Re: Dang.

DANG. I thought Apple was around 5% five years ago, not 12%. Still, DANG, that's sad.

10. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    Re: Re: Re: Dang.

agreed, i think 12% may be a bit high.

11. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

You guys have to admit the desktop computer market was much much smaller than it is today. In 97 there weren't as many people (i.e. grandparents) using computers at all. I think Apple's marketshare is growing. I definitely see more Macs today than I saw in years prior.

12. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

You have to be careful about what you are talking about as well. Are we talking about share of sales for the year or share of total computers owned. Those numbers have a tendancy to be confused.

Taft

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

when the 970 comes to market, the numbers will be changing. The question is how , where , what price ? and what speeds these bad boys will be running at. Lets hope Apple gets aggresive and put these chips everywhere. everyone will want the mac they have wanted and market share goes up. or it may be more of the same as in not having all g4s with L3s. maybe 970 's get crippled somehow by apple in other makes of macs? Lets hope not. even a 1.2 ghz 970 imac i would find extremely sweet. For more market share you have to be in the game hardware wise. the G4 has lost that game.

14. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

how can neither dell nor gateway be on that list?

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm suprised that Dell wasn't listed! I happen to think that Apple is on the right track. Alot is riding on the PPC 970, that could be when Apple will soar and make Bill Gates sit up and take notice! Steve just might take back what he lost to Bill! ;)

16. pmac933 macrumors newbie

I think that they accidentally left Dell off that list.

I remember a few years back that Dell had roughly 22% of the US desktop computer market. I think that they accidentally replaced Dell with Compaq or HP, especially considering the fact that Compaq and HP are now one company. I doubt that they control 62.7% of the market.

17. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

You would think that in the 21st Century they could do an accurate appraisal of all the current computer manufacturers. Maybe someone will think of it eventually. That one is worthless when as you mentioned that HP & Compaq are merged and not even mentioning Dell.:(

18. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

Re: Re: Dang.

This is false.

I do not know what market share Apple had in 1997 but 12% is way too high. Anyone know of a site that has accurate market share information?

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Re: Re: Re: Dang.

If you have no idea then how can you dispute the figure I've given? Why don't you do the work and prove me wrong?

20. TMJ1974 macrumors member

could be alot better

Apple can't be concerned with market share. Dell and Target have stopped selling Apple's best selling product, the iPod, because of Apple's idiotic reseller agreement.

Come on....they finally have a product that everyone (windows and mac) wants, and not enough places sell it. The places that do sell it are sold out. The 5GB iPod has been "temporarily" sold out for almost 4 months. HELLLLOOOOOO.........4 months is NOT temporary. Either make the thing or not, either sell it or don't.......but don't advertise products you don't have, that only makes people upset.

I still haven't seen a 17" PowerBook, unfortunately (for Apple), my interest in that product has all but gone and I've been using the money for upgrades to my PowerMac. I'd love an iPod, when/if they update them.

Tim