Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sootie

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
I have AT&T and plan in getting the 5, does anyone kow what AT&Ts speed of or quality of the LTE coverage in the area?

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
I don't know but I wish they'd expand it more around the metro area. I feel they just hit the 'main' city so they could list Los Angeles on their coverage sheet.

dw3bb10

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
I'm in Northridge (San Fernando Valley) and theres no LTE here unfortunately. Still switching from Sprint to AT&T though, atleast I will be able to make calls 0_o

Stangs55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2007
The Lone Star State
I'm in Northridge (San Fernando Valley) and theres no LTE here unfortunately. Still switching from Sprint to AT&T though, atleast I will be able to make calls 0_o

Lol...switching to AT&T so that you can make calls? That's like becoming a vegetarian so that you can eat meat.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Lol...switching to AT&T so that you can make calls? That's like becoming a vegetarian so that you can eat meat.

AT&T is actually really good here. Rarely do I drop a call or lose reception, and I travel to pretty much every corner of this city.

I too would like to know how LTE is here, if anything I can let you all know in a week from now after using LTE for a week :)

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010

You definitely don't know about Sprint and the valley like Northridge..quite a few co-workers need Airaves just to get service in their homes. AT&T in that area works great.

BuckDot

macrumors member
May 31, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Verizon LTE is all over the valley

Actually the only problem area I have for Verizon is over Laurel Cyn Blvd. I work in sales, so I have to use it all over the place.

Have a LTE MiFi device and haven't had a problem getting 4G reception anywhere in LA... haven't tried in Northridge but has worked fine in Canoga Park.

slookx24

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2009
AT&T doesn't even have LTE anywhere in northern LA yet. That includes Glendale, Burbank, all of the Valley, and everything north of that. It's really pathetic.

dw3bb10

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
I know that Verizon is superior in the Valley. LTE is everywhere too. But im not paying $100 a month for an individual plan with only 2GB of data.

And there are SOME parts of Northridge where Sprint is really good actually. I even get Wimax. But in my new apartment, I literally have no signal. Cant talk on the phone for more than a few minutes before the call gets fuzzy, and drops. AT&T seems like my best bet! Besides, I want to be on a GSM network to have more flexibility when it comes to getting phones.

Hopefully AT&T expands LTE here soon. If not, id be happy with good HSPA+ speeds. Anything is better than Sprint. Cant even stream music when walking home -___-

stevedusa

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Honestly if you are in the west coast, CDMA carrier would be better, in this case VZW.

Reason being that VZW was smart enough to obtain majority of the 700mHz block for their massive LTE rollout. Yes right now it might be as fast as ATT's but a better blanket coverage and a lot more stable connection out do ATT any day.

Not to mention CDMA in SoCal generally sounds much better than the GSM network due to capacity...

chillstatus

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
Los Angeles
You should be able to search in the iPad forums for some posts regarding LTE in LA. I have the new iPad but haven't subscribed to LTE since the first month. It was decent, but from what I remember the Verizon speeds were so much better. I was getting LTE signals in Santa Monica on Main St between Pico & Colorado (my work) and also get a signal in Palms/Overland where I live.

Ishimaru

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
Los Angeles
You should be able to search in the iPad forums for some posts regarding LTE in LA. I have the new iPad but haven't subscribed to LTE since the first month. It was decent, but from what I remember the Verizon speeds were so much better. I was getting LTE signals in Santa Monica on Main St between Pico & Colorado (my work) and also get a signal in Palms/Overland where I live.
I used to live right on Venice/Westwood and I got 1 bar of LTE, and speeds slower than HSPA+. I've since moved to Washington/Fairfax, and I get full bars all the time. Speeds are about 20Mbps up/down.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Would like to know how it works in Hollwood, W Hollywood, and Beverly Hills?

ITS ME DAVID

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
Pasadena, Ca
I live in highland park next to eagle rock and I between Glendale and Pasadena last week I talked to a AT&T technical customer service agent to complain about my slow 3G data and I told him I'm not sure I want to stick with AT&T cause of the data speeds he said well the closest 3G tower from u is 5 miles away and there is a new lte tower just went up a mile from you across the 110 freeway and he said when you get the iPhone 5 you should see way faster speeds then the 2-3mbps I'm getting with the 4s I told him.

ajcadoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2011
San Diego, CA
Azusa, and no LTE here. In fact, 3G is poor as well. Usually only one bar max. I have had to turn off 3G and use Edge only on my iphone 4 due to the lack of 3G service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.