How is BART?

Discussion in 'Community' started by skubish, Sep 17, 2005.

1. skubish macrumors 68030

Feb 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    My wife and I are going to San Francisco in November. I thinking about taking the BART from SFO to downtown. Mainly I would avoid the hassle of driving downtown plus I would save on rental car costs and parking costs. Once we get downtown we won't really need a car.

How do people feel about BART?
    Is it safe and reliable?
  2. tech4all macrumors 68040

Jun 13, 2004
    First off read this (first post). I personally have never seen that happen, but I feel you should be aware of that.

In my experience BART is fairly safe. Just don't leave things unattended; keep them under control at all times. Like always have your bag on your lap and a strap or something looping your arm just incase. I've taken my iPod on BART before and never had a problem; although I was a bit nervous at times. Since your only going from SFO to downtown SF it won't take that long to get there. Just got to be alert and just use common sense with certain things.

As far as reliability is concerned - well for the most part they're usually on time. But there have been occasions (more than once) were they were delayed, and that can be bad especially during the evening commute home when you want to get home.

But all in all, it's safe. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just use common sense: don't show anything valuable, keep that stuff in a pocket or bag. And just be alert in general. I mean I've even taken naps on BART and never really had a problem. And BART does have it's own police unit.

Hope that all makes sense. If not post back :)
  3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    If all you need to do is to get downtown, DON'T rent a car. BART is a fine of the best transit agencies in the country. Getting to the station inside the airport can be a real pain, but it's not horrible. If you don't want to take BART, you can just grab a shuttle van ride...~$15 a person.
  4. r6girl Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Sep 6, 2003
    BART is great! yes, strange/bizarre/disgusting things can happen, as discussed in the thread tech4all referred to, but i've found it to be reliable and safe (as long as you use common sense, as already pointed out). i used to use BART to commute every day to and from work, but my current job is not anywhere near a BART line so i really only use BART nowadays when i'm going into the city.

so, yes, don't bother renting a car and just use BART. enjoy your trip to the bay area! are you going to try to make it to the apple headquarters in cupertino? BART doesn't go that far south, so you'll need to find some connecting public transportation systems to get there...

5. applemacdude macrumors 68040

Mar 26, 2001
    Over The Rainbow
    its pretty safe and realiable..

pretty cheap too compared to all the other methods of transit......
  6. skubish thread starter macrumors 68030

Feb 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Yes I plan/hope to go to Apple HQ. I plan to get a car for part of the trip but I can either go back to the airport or pick one up at the hotel. I travel to the bay area frequently for work. This is our second vacation to the area. We are mainly going to to San Fran to go to Chinatown and the Japanese Gardens. Then we are going down Pacific Coast Highway to Monterey. The wife is in a photography class so she hopes to get some nice pictures.

7. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    Don't let the disgusting things thread scare you, BART was very enjoyable when I was in the area.

8. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

May 6, 2005
    Bay Area
    BART is awesome. Sorry. Don't let my thread scare you... Sh*t happens all the time everywhere. Just understand when peak hours are, as they kinda suck because you don't get to sit down. Oh, and there are lots of iPods, EVERYWHERE! So I wouldn't be too worried.

Yeah, its relatively cheap. You'll be fine. Enjoy yourself :)