How is HandBrake on the MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by tekno, Aug 30, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

I've got a current (I think) MacBook Air and am thinking of getting an external CD drive in order to rip films into iTunes.

I used to do this with my MacBook Pro and it would take a few hours to do a film, but I'm worried how long it'll take with my MacBook Air and a CD drive connected via USB.

I'd be grateful to hear of anyone's experiences and any advice on what CD drive to buy for this purpose.

Thanks

2. macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have Apple's external drive and a MBA and it works just fine for me
    I've had no issues and the rip/encode time is faster than my older MBP

3. macrumors 6502

with a 2012 (mid) mba with 8gb i find it a tad faster than my old mbp and much faster than my old windows machine (dual core 4gb)
    i am one of those that tends to set it and forget it though so i'm not hovering around it much while it does its thing

4. macrumors member

Handbrake works fine for me on my '11 MBA, writing out to a FW800 external drive.

5. macrumors regular

It works well, but not as well as hopping over to Bootcamp and taking advantage of Intel Quick Sync. ;)

6. macrumors newbie

Hate to revive an old thread but I would rather that than start a new one. Anyone here have a general idea as to how long it takes to encode a blu-ray? Coming from a MacBook with Core2Duo and I'm really confused about what I need as far as upgrading. I just want to improve the 15+ hours it is currently taking me. Thanks!

7. Acorn, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013

macrumors 68020

Acorn

you need something with a quad core. processor speed will matter most. anything 720p or 1080 is going to take along time to encode. many use 700x300 or 640x480

8. macrumors 6502

Out of curiosity, what settings are you typically using when you rip your DVD's to your external device? Quite a few of my attempts have come out extremely poor when trying to do this. Maybe it has something to do with which HandBrake I am using, or maybe not? I'd like to try and get these nailed down to good quality so I can utilize it properly.

9. macrumors 65816

It took like 30 mins to rip a DVD(not Blu Ray) and the fans were running in full speed and all the cores maxed out.

But it ripped the movie flawlessly with no jitters etc. I used an Apple Superdrive, btw.