How is iOS 7 running on iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by michaelfields, Jun 12, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

I'm thinking about updating to it but I wanted to get some feedback about how it's running or if I should put it on my phone I actually use daily.

2. macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

3. macrumors member

Smooth as butter but certain apps don't work (skype, FML)

4. macrumors 6502

becareful about putting the beta on your daily phone. just because some people are saying that there are hardly an issues doesnt mean you wont have a lot of issues. (like major battery drain, crashes a lot and etc)

5. macrumors 68030

tymaster50

http://bit.ly/1bxraRG

6. macrumors regular

If you really want the opinions from people, perhaps you should've gone through all the threads below. :cool:

iOS 7: All The Little Things!

iOS 7 beta 1 thread

iOS 7 Beta 1: Bugs and Problems

7. macrumors newbie

My major drain was the Apple Podcasts app. It dies and dies, but somehow starts massive downloads in the background. If you use it, kill it, uninstall it, and then check your memory usage for downloaded podcasts.

The moment I fixed this problem, my iPhone 5 became smooth and well-behaved.

That said, there are some weird bugs and things. It is beta software. Use at your own risk.

My long, long initial post: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17394462#post17394462

8. macrumors 6502a

Really? Because this thread asks a specific question in the subject.

First impressions are that it's definitely called a beta for a reason. Anyone saying its running smooth is blind. The animations are rather slow and there is an obvious major FPS drop when multitasking is pulled up. I am also having a few glitches with certain apps crashing and the like.

It's also a resource hog. The battery life is significantly worse. I would say 30% worse. I can no longer go a full day without charging.

I'm going back to 6.1.4 and staying until I see improvements.

9. thread starter macrumors regular

I have looked at those I meant SPECIFICALLY iPhone 5 opinions. I've been following those threads though.

----------

Thank you both for writing actual responses and answering my question! I'll hold off until the next couple of betas come and go and see how those are.

Thanks again!

10. macrumors 6502a

My phone is just about done updating now. I've played with it a little. Only issue I've found so far is that eBay freezes on the opening screen.

I doubt most of the people that have downloaded this are signed up as developers. This is the first time that I've downloaded a beta operating system. I might keep it and I might not. I'll see how it functions. Developers can easily download new beta versions as they are released. For us "common folk", do we acquire those the same way that we downloaded this copy?

11. macrumors 65816

Jare

It's not meant to be used daily. It's a developer beta and unless you have an app that you will be updating to iOS 7, you should not use it.

12. macrumors member

Runs well on my iPhone 5. Battery life is pretty much the same as before, maybe a bit worse but too soon to tell.

Yes, there are glitches, some crashes and some apps that aren't working. As nStyle mentioned some of the animation durations are too slow and the frame dropping going in & out of multitasking is annoying, but overall very good for a beta.

13. macrumors 68030

dictoresno

i ran it for two days. i noticed no big problems with it for the most part and i personally think it could be a daily use, however with some issues...

1.) not all apps work with it, most do, but other force close every now and then. depending what you use on a daily basis, this may make or break it for you

2.) battery drain was iffy. it wasnt as horrible for me as it is for others, however i realized that it was definitely draining a little worse than 6.1.4.

3.) there were minor OS bugs (text overlapping, HDR and video freezing) that were there, but infrequent enough that you could use it everyday as long as you could plan around that.

i ended up going back to 6.1.4 since i need the full functionality of the phone, including all apps. i liked the UI as a whole, however wasnt a fan of the color scheme (especially the readability on messaging app).

14. macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

[​IMG]

It's actually running great. I just wanted an excuse to use that GIF.

15. macrumors regular

ianrip

Dear NON developers, the beta will have an expiry date, be careful

16. macrumors 6502a

What happens when it expires?

17. macrumors 6502a

You and I have very different definitions of that statement. Or our butter is a different temperature.

18. macrumors 6502a

sawah

You'll have time to update to beta two before it expires, or downgrade whichever. Usually beta's are over the air so you should be able to upgrade to the next even if you aren't a developer. Just pay attention to the forums.