Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Please post a video of you doing following on your iPad Air:

-Pulling spotlight down and then rotating the screen
-Open Safari, activate split keyboard, then pull control center up

Not posting videos. I never use the split keyboard and the spotlight thing doesn't do much for me either. But I did try those two things mentioned and nothing bad happens.

However, there are always a a couple users that just have a tough time with a device. The vast majority do NOT so it's fair to say that the Air runs great on the latest OS for MOST people. If you are having trouble then go buy an Air 2.

Once again...that's the end of that. :)

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I actually went in to the Apple store and played around with both the Air 1 and Air 2 today. I'm torn because while I like the thin profile of the Air 2 (not that the Air 1 is bulky by any means!), I did notice the back and screen vibrations when watching something with the volume even partially turned up. That being said, I don't really watch many movies or listen to music on my iPad. If I am going to watch something, it tends to be the occasional YouTube clip. So... maybe while that is present it's not something that would affect me often.

That being said, is it naive to think I could get at least a few (say... 3) good years out of an Air 1?

Don't get an Air 1. There are three in my family and I've never seen so much lag and stuttering as on the iPad Air 1. My iPad Mini 2 is also a disaster with iOS 8. My iPad 2 didn't become laggy or stutter till its 4th update - iOS 8. These A7 iPads have become laggy/stuttery on their first.

For example most times I open an App, the animation stutters. I mean really, how hard is it to render an app opening animation.
Also that 1 GB of ram is terrible. I urge you to get an Air 2 or wait a little bit for the Air 3 and get the Air 2 cheap.

The last iPad that had issues like this was the iPad 3, and I know many iPad 3 users were sick of its performance by 2013 when it was only a year a half old.

Last edited:
Reactions: M.Rizk

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Don't get an Air 1. There are three in my family and I've never seen so much lag and stuttering as on the iPad Air 1. My iPad Mini 2 is also a disaster with iOS 8. My iPad 2 didn't become laggy or stutter till its 4th update - iOS 8. These A7 iPads have become laggy/stuttery on their first.

For example most times I open an App, the animation stutters. I mean really, how hard is it to render an app opening animation.
Also that 1 GB of ram is terrible. I urge you to get an Air 2 or wait a little bit for the Air 3 and get the Air 2 cheap.

The last iPad that had issues like this was the iPad 3, and I know many iPad 3 users were sick of its performance by 2013 when it was only a year a half old.

I wish I could up vote this a million times. I completely agree with that, I'm an iPad mini 2 user. Just get the Air 2, or wait for the Air 3 and get it cheap. I've used the Air 2 in stores and yes, the vibration of the speakers is pretty intense. However, I've also heard the speakers can get VERY loud. My mini 2 is extremely quiet it seems. Maybe it didn't come that way and the speakers are fading, but my iPhone 6 is probably nearly twice as loud. The air 1 is probably better than the mini 2, but still. Something to consider. Whenever I want to show my friends a video on my iPad, I am in just a moderately noisy cafeteria setting or something. It's impossible to hear like what people are saying on the iPad. Kinda annoying.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Not posting videos. I never use the split keyboard and the spotlight thing doesn't do much for me either. But I did try those two things mentioned and nothing bad happens.

However, there are always a a couple users that just have a tough time with a device. The vast majority do NOT so it's fair to say that the Air runs great on the latest OS for MOST people. If you are having trouble then go buy an Air 2.

Once again...that's the end of that. :)
Doom and gloomers will call you blind or otherwise incapable of seeing what has ruined their life. First why do they own what is a crappy device for them. Second misinterpreting the lack of experiencing their issue and NOT caring about when seen are very different things. Seems they are not happy unless everyone else is as miserable with their device as they are.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Doom and gloomers will call you blind or otherwise incapable of seeing what has ruined their life. First why do they own what is a crappy device for them. Second misinterpreting the lack of experiencing their issue and NOT caring about when seen are very different things. Seems they are not happy unless everyone else is as miserable with their device as they are.

No we just think people looking a buying a new device should be aware that A7 iPads are incapable or rendering animations. The OP wants longevity, if the first update can't run without stuttering, I'd hate to see update 2 and 3. Its not even a matter of opinion. Stuttering demonstrates that the Air 1 doesn't run iOS 8 well. Some people may not perceive stuttering, however that doesn't mean it isn't occurring.

The Air 1 is not a good device for longevity.

Last edited:

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
No we just think people looking a buying a new device should be aware that A7 iPads are incapable or rendering animations. The OP wants longevity, if the first update can't run without stuttering, I'd hate to see update 2 and 3. Its not even a matter of opinion. Stuttering demonstrates that the Air 1 doesn't run iOS 8 well. Some people may not perceive stuttering, however that doesn't mean it isn't occurring.

Well said. I think it's capable, but Apple needs to highly optimize things with iOS 9 if it truly is a "Performance update". I still have my hopes up, but I should be preparing myself so I won't be too disappointed if it doesn't happen, or if the optimizations don't do much to fix things after all.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Well said. I think it's capable, but Apple needs to highly optimize things with iOS 9 if it truly is a "Performance update". I still have my hopes up, but I should be preparing myself so I won't be too disappointed if it doesn't happen, or if the optimizations don't do much to fix things after all.

I think iOS 9 will fix up performance, but that leaves the Air 1 with its biggest flaw - 1 GB of ram. It should have had 2.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

Well, I guess that's that, close the thread and move on. H377, we can close the whole forum and just post a sticky at the top. :rolleyes:

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Well, I guess that's that, close the thread and move on. H377, we can close the whole forum and just post a sticky at the top. :rolleyes:
Yeah millions of happy owners must proceed to the trash can with their iPad airs

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
In my experiences with the iPad Air on iOS 8, you need to be careful how you update it. I would not do a OTA because, with iOS 8, it will lead to more problems. (I have a work full of them. ranging from 7.1.2 all the way to 8.3)

My only complaint about iOS 8 (that cannot be fixed) on the iPad Air is, airplay. It disconnects from every single iOS 8 iPad mirroring on a Apple TV. Also, the airplay icon goes from the whole screen of available devices (when on iOS 7) to 2 receivers tall when using it on 8.x:(! (If you do not have/use a Apple TV often, it is no big deal):)

Also, without enhancements, your preformance is not that great. But, by spending 5-10 minutes with the settings, it will run like a beast!

Overall, I highly recommend you do a update via iTunes to ensure you get the highest quality preformance and software. With many of my friends who did the update OTA, they ended up more frustrated.

Also, I may dislike iBooks being bundled with iOS 8 but, if you do not love the old UI, it does not matter (the bundled iBooks version comes with the Material iOS 7.x design)

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
In my experiences with the iPad Air on iOS 8, you need to be careful how you update it. I would not do a OTA because, with iOS 8, it will lead to more problems. (I have a work full of them. ranging from 7.1.2 all the way to 8.3)

My only complaint about iOS 8 (that cannot be fixed) on the iPad Air is, airplay. It disconnects from every single iOS 8 iPad mirroring on a Apple TV. Also, the airplay icon goes from the whole screen of available devices (when on iOS 7) to 2 receivers tall when using it on 8.x:(! (If you do not have/use a Apple TV often, it is no big deal):)

Also, without enhancements, your preformance is not that great. But, by spending 5-10 minutes with the settings, it will run like a beast!

Overall, I highly recommend you do a update via iTunes to ensure you get the highest quality preformance and software. With many of my friends who did the update OTA, they ended up more frustrated.

Also, I may dislike iBooks being bundled with iOS 8 but, if you do not love the old UI, it does not matter (the bundled iBooks version comes with the Material iOS 7.x design)

I updated via iTunes the whole way through. Did a few regular restores and set up as new, did one DFU restore into 8.3. Stutter is still very prevalent. My friend has done OTA the whole way through with his Air and it's a disaster. Sometimes you turn on the display and it won't respond no matter what you do. Rotating is slow (there is a black border that rotates first, then after a delay the actual content rotates) everything all around is much more choppy than my mini 2. He used to have this issue where flipping pages would literally be 20fps. That disappeared with 8.3, but everything is still a huge mess

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
I updated via iTunes the whole way through. Did a few regular restores and set up as new, did one DFU restore into 8.3. Stutter is still very prevalent. My friend has done OTA the whole way through with his Air and it's a disaster. Sometimes you turn on the display and it won't respond no matter what you do. Rotating is slow (there is a black border that rotates first, then after a delay the actual content rotates) everything all around is much more choppy than my mini 2. He used to have this issue where flipping pages would literally be 20fps. That disappeared with 8.3, but everything is still a huge mess

Ouch! I have noticed airplay always drops and, I have to fight with each iOS 8.x iPad to get airplay to work :confused:! I stayed on 7.1.2 and, do not regret it! Ironacally, my families iPad 2 preforms better on iOS 8 than any software equivalent iPad Air :(!

If you have not tried yet, try to make both wallpapers still, turn off Auto App Updates and, there is a hidden location services tab under privacy. This should help speed it up and, increase the FPS

I am lucky I was smart and stayed on 7.1.2 :cool:! If iOS 8 is this bad still today on a Air, I can't wait to see how iOS 9 treats it!:rolleyes:

rocklee84

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2015
China

Overall, I highly recommend you do a update via iTunes to ensure you get the highest quality preformance and software.

how did you set yours?
I turned off background app refresh, location services off, reduce motion on, still background on,automatic downloads off on itunes, spotlight everything unchecked and it still stutters.

with the 100% exact settings my iphone 5S is silky smooth and my ipad air 1 is sluggish with frequent random stuttering that last around 5 seconds. Especially scrolling down slowly in safari or other apps like Telegram, Tumblr , twitter and facebook (those with a long scolling page) produces jittery and choppy scrolling.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY

It's a fine device for longevity. I've had mine a year and a half and it's running perfectly. Always has. I understand that sometimes people do have issues but that's just not the norm here.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
It's a fine device for longevity. I've had mine a year and a half and it's running perfectly. Always has. I understand that sometimes people do have issues but that's just not the norm here.

It is truly not a good device for longevity. It has the same amount of ram that the iPad 3 had. The best iPads for longevity are ones where there is an increase in RAM and processing power and the iPad Air was the third device with a very low ram ceiling.

An iPad that can't handle animations without jittering on its first update is a bit of a concern.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
how did you set yours?
I turned off background app refresh, location services off, reduce motion on, still background on,automatic downloads off on itunes, spotlight everything unchecked and it still stutters.

with the 100% exact settings my iphone 5S is silky smooth and my ipad air 1 is sluggish with frequent random stuttering that last around 5 seconds. Especially scrolling down slowly in safari or other apps like Telegram, Tumblr , twitter and facebook (those with a long scolling page) produces jittery and choppy scrolling.

Yep my iPad Mini 2 is the same thing. A stuttering and sluggish mess. That being said iOS 8 is a mess, but for a first update the iPad Air 1/ iPad Mini 2 are disasters.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I've been running and iPad Air 2 and Air 1 side by side (the S.O. got my Air 1 when I upgraded). Not discounting the experiences others have had, but we've not had any issues with either device on iOS 8.

The Air 2 will definitely last longer owing to the upgraded specs, so if that's your primary concern, get the Air 2. But if cost is a bigger consideration, you should still be fine with and Air 1.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
There are always a couple of doom and gloomers out there. Whatever.
The Air runs the latest OS perfectly. And that's the end of that. Sure, maybe there are use cases where the Air 2 would be better for someone but for most people the Air is an excellent tablet with TONS of life left in it. They are great buys now too which just sweetens the deal.

Your previous post demonstrated a far different sentiment than your new understanding that sometimes people do have issues...

Calling them "doom and gloomers" doesn't indicate that you understand.

There is this arrogance that anyone who does not share the same positive experience is a "doom and gloomer", "troll", "whiner". Your positive experience does NOT invalidate someone else's experience that is different.

Claiming that "The Air runs the latest OS perfectly. And that's the end of that" is a strange way of acknowledging that other people's experience may differ.

Reactions: oldmacs

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Your previous post demonstrated a far different sentiment than your new understanding that sometimes people do have issues...

Calling them "doom and gloomers" doesn't indicate that you understand.

There is this arrogance that anyone who does not share the same positive experience is a "doom and gloomer", "troll", "whiner". Your positive experience does NOT invalidate someone else's experience that is different.

Claiming that "The Air runs the latest OS perfectly. And that's the end of that" is a strange way of acknowledging that other people's experience may differ.
I understand, why do you argue absolutes in an attempt to make a point? Must a product be perfect or junk, no in between? That's the hallmark of an adolescent fanboy or doom and gloom. Another hallmark of doom or fanboy is multiple posts on different threads posting, you guessed it doom or perfection. My experience isn't diminished or enhanced by other's experience is yours?

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
It is truly not a good device for longevity. It has the same amount of ram that the iPad 3 had. The best iPads for longevity are ones where there is an increase in RAM and processing power and the iPad Air was the third device with a very low ram ceiling.

An iPad that can't handle animations without jittering on its first update is a bit of a concern.

Where can stuttering animations be demonstrated? Video and games flow smoothly for me. I just don't see this stuttering thing in day to day usage. If you mean basic scrolling and all that, I just don't see that either.

Sure, the Air would be nicer with 2GB of ram. More safari tabs can be opened which is a concern for some users. Otherwise, in my experience the Air 2 doesn't really feel much faster than the original Air. Much of that is optimization by the apps and whether apps actually use the better hardware.

As stated previously.... The majority doesn't have problems with their Air. For those that do then they need to find another product that will satisfy their needs and use cases.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Where can stuttering animations be demonstrated? Video and games flow smoothly for me. I just don't see this stuttering thing in day to day usage. If you mean basic scrolling and all that, I just don't see that either.

Sure, the Air would be nicer with 2GB of ram. More safari tabs can be opened which is a concern for some users. Otherwise, in my experience the Air 2 doesn't really feel much faster than the original Air. Much of that is optimization by the apps and whether apps actually use the better hardware.

As stated previously.... The majority doesn't have problems with their Air. For those that do then they need to find another product that will satisfy their needs and use cases.

The Air stutters at random times ALL the time. I'll video my Mini 1 which does the same when I have time. I've seen it on just about every single iPad Air I've ever seen (with iOS 8). Maybe not everyone perceives it or some people have magical Airs.

The fact remains that 1 GB of ram was not enough in 2013 and that is why it is not a good device for longevity.

Now while the iPad Air is pretty good at the moment (besides tab reloading) it is just not going to age as well. iPads that are underpowered in some aspect (the ram in the case of the Air 1, the Graphics and processor of the iPad 3 and the Ram in the iPad 1) do not age well. iPads such as the 2, 4 and Air 2 are the iPads that age well.

Also until we ask every single person what their view of the air 1 is with iOS 8 we really don't know what the majority thinks.

rocklee84

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2015
China
I can't wait for iOS 9 to be released. Just downloaded and installed iOS 8.4 on my iPad Air and it stutters as before.

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008
8.3 working fine on mine (Air 1 16Gb). If there are specific problems, I'll actually have to bother to go looking for them whatever they may be, but everyday use for me has been absolutely trouble free.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA

It's not app performance that is bad on iPad Air. Well, it's fairly good. Some apps do use a lot of translucency or tons of UI elements in some way shape or form that really cause a lot of stutter, but that isn't the case for most things, and that's beside the point. The issues pertain to OS performance.

All the UI is really stuttery and can not be pushed at a consistent 60FPS like it should. Bringing up the keyboard is stuttery a lot of the time it is brought up (not all the time, but best example is tapping URL bar in safari in landscape) rotating the keyboard isn't smooth, control center over the keyboard is 20-30FPS, not 60FPS. With heavier applications there is a lot of "app to home screen" stutter when you close the app, or most of the animation is skipped.

There are TONS of extra examples, but I have written way too many run-on extended paragraphs from listing most everything that comes to mind. And remember, non of this stutter really exists if you have increase contrast turned on. Reduce motion cleans some things up as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.