How Is iPhone on Virgin Mobile?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by awake, Dec 6, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

awake

How is iPhone on Virgin Mobile? Is the service good? Anyone with a review?

2. macrumors 6502a

nickchallis92

This is obviously abit unfair but I was with Virgin Mobile when I got an HTC HD2 and the speeds weren't exactly blazing fast

I assume this is the UK though?

3. macrumors 65816

It's rubbish.
    My niece purchased an iPhone 4S - sim free and unlocked to all networks.
    Inserted her Virgin Mobile sim (a rolling 1 month deal) to find that 3G did not work - no Internet browsing whatsoever.
    Phoned virgin who sent her a text with the settings required. Installed those and still got nothing.

The next day it suddenly starting working by itself. A day later it stopped again.

This time I rang Virgin on her behalf and they told me that they do not support the iPhone. The customer service rep actually said that he used an iPhone himself with no issues, but couldn't give me any more advice since Virgin do not support them!
    After some arguing I managed to get him to go through his personal phone so that I could replicate the settings. Dd this, but still no reliable 3G.

In the end she disconnected and went with another provider, where her iPhone worked fine straight away.

4. macrumors 601

I'd assume that "NY" in the OP's profile is New York, so they're not likely to be talking about Virgin Mobile UK.

5. macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

6. macrumors 68030

tymaster50

7. macrumors 6502a

It's location, location, location. VM may have fantastic speeds in my area but total crap in your area. Or, vice versa. You need to talk to people in your area to see how it works for them.

Radio Shack and Best Buy carry the VM version of the iPhone 4/4s. Go to a local store and try one out there.

8. macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

It was in response to the poster who spoke to a rep that said VM didn't support VM.

9. macrumors 65816

I think people need to mention their LOCATION! and others need to ask as it helps unless of course mentioned in the profile/under users name on thread/post:

Virgin Mobile:
    USA: CDMA/EVDO/LTE via Sprint
    Canada: HSPA+/LTE band 4 via Bell Network (Shared with Telus)
    Australia: GSM?/HSDPA/HSPA+ network
    UK/Europe where ever it is, its definitely GSM?/HSDPA/HSPA+ for sure.

10. macrumors 68020

John T

Absolutely! Bearing in mind the variances of coverage by Internet Providers, the absence of a location renders both the question and answer totally meaningless.

11. macrumors 601

Well, they don't!

That's because they were talking about Virgin Mobile UK, not Virgin Mobile USA.

I agree with that. It would be nice if people could be reminded when posting that they should state where they are from. Often people leave you to not only work out which country they're from, but their carrier too!

12. macrumors 6502

Virgin Mobile USA uses Sprint's network meaning you will have horrible 3G data speeds and no access to LTE where Sprint has it.

13. macrumors 68030

HankHowdy

This.