How is it that these guys can stay in business?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Cooknn, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

www.cheapsoftusa.com
    I figured I'd shop around for a good price on Photoshop CS2 upgrade but I didn't expect to see it for $69 :eek:

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Well, I wouldn't buy anything with this as a term:
    :rolleyes:

4. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

Sounds to me like a scam...you can't register it? Or get updates? I dunno...I wouldn't want anything to do with it. Besides, I like having a hard copy on CD/DVD.

5. wako macrumors 65816

I really DOUBT they will give you a legitimate key for any of the software you buy and I doubt this is legal. If they did give you a real copy they wouldnt tell you to not register with the manufacterer.

6. Cooknn thread starter macrumors 68020

Cooknn

These guys advertise on Google! Trust me, I'm not touching them with a ten foot pole (across cyber space). Crazy...

7. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I once bought Adobe Illustrator for $10 from one of these shady places. Yes, I knew it was illegal and pirated.....:rolleyes: Anyways, they sent me a Windows version CD (didn't know at the time of ordering what platform it was for). So, I never used it and ended up giving it to a friend. Six months later, I got a call from the Secret Service. Apparently, the place I bought the software from was in a foreign country and had terrorist ties. Turns out the software was hacked and included malicious software that somehow assisted in their anti-american agenda.

Anyways, I told the SS guy I gave the software away and didn't know where it was. Pretty scary getting woken up by a call from the Secret Service asking if I know anything about pirated software with terrorist ties :eek:.

8. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

This seems like a good way to let the Windows users take care of themselves. "No, really, these guys are great!"

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oh, come now, if including malicious software is going to become a crime, Microsoft is never going to stay in business. :p

10. wako macrumors 65816

ROFL, its interesting how they didn't even bother arresting you or anything for buying the software...

Did you ask them why they needed the software though? Did your friend ever come to you and suddenly say "I gotta goto Afghanistan for some training now?"

11. Makosuke macrumors 603

Sheesh... if you're going to pirate software, you should at least have the courtesy (and the brains) not to pay someone for the privleage. I'm under the opinion that piracy is a bad thing, but profiting directly from it is ten times worse. Besides if both are equally illegal, you might as well do the one that costs you nothing.

One really does wonder how business like that manage to skirt the law and stay around. Operating out of a foreign country might keep you from being prosecuted directly, but how can they get money from a legit credit card clearinghouse? (Actually, no, wait; I'll bet they DON'T charge your card... just sell the nubmer to the highest bidder in Russia so you can "pay" later.)

12. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i also guess its a scam.

but could it be that they somehow buy OEM software licences and resell them? then the deal could be legal dependeing on the oem licencing conditions. they could in different countries allow them to resell the software.

but honestly, i wouldn't touch it.

13. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Scary... scary, in that case you should get it alone... scary.

14. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

15. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

wow, i'm surprised how many people fall for this. i'm especially surprised that they really thought it was legal after the site said there is no registration. i hope the fbi can do something about this company. :mad:

16. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

17. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Their website is unusually professional looking; I can see how people might get seduced by the low prices and legit-looking website. Still, the "terms" really set the 'ol alarm bells ringing in a second!".

I hope somebody comes knocking on this scumbag's door in the near future with an all-expenses paid 10-year vacation to a Bulgarian correctional facility.

18. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

In a word -- no. The "It's OEM so we can sell it for way cheaper without the box" excuse has been used by pirates forever. It just plays on the ignorance of the buyer.

OEM software always has license restrictions - and almost always is prohibited from resale. OEM is often tied to the hardware: if you buy a PC with the OEM Windows installed, and the sticker on the side, you cannot move that software to another PC even if the original machine dies.

Site license software (such as when a company pays a flat fee for all their locations) is tied to the company. The software cannot be sold or used by anyone outside the organization.

But one scenario is that pirates order install CD's replacement CDs for $10 each which are a component of a site license -- these are just the media with no license and no serial number -- and they stick on a cracked serial or installation key.

Bottom line -- no matter what media it comes on on what package it comes in, when you buy software you are purchasing a license to use the software. Whether it is OEM, site license, clone factory or hand-burned CD-R, these cheap software places are ALL violating copyright and you are not getting a legal license to the software.

19. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

That's been an ongoing problem in that country, they have the laws but no one wants to enforce them. Check out this: "Software piracy continues to be a serious problem, although an industry legalization campaign, which began in 1999, has made noticeable gains against unauthorized software. Nevertheless, the lack of prosecutions and court judgments has kept the piracy rate at an unacceptably high level. Over the last three years, out of over 122 criminal prosecutions filed, only four have reached settlement and only one has produced a court judgment."

20. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

iMeobot, this is sure to be a dumb question, but why are many MR members' avatars growing the same hairdo? Did I miss something? :confused:

21. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

22. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

riiight. :rolleyes: :)

23. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

24. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

i wouldn't buy from a company that said "online soft" at the top, no matter how dumb i was or how cheap the deals were.

Old price, new price. Haha, it's like they just decided to knock $500 off the price one day. :p

25. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Hmm... I'm starting to to suspect I don't want to know...