how is schwarzenegger doing?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Oct 11, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

wondering if californians are regretting the davis recall yet. i'd love to see examples of what he's done right and wrong.

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Well, to begin with, he lied through those huge teeth of his about not taking special interest money. He's raised more corporate and other special interest money than Davis ever imagined.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Poorly. He is, IIRC, the third most unpopular governor in the country. The indicted guy in Ohio, someone else, then Ahhnold.

He's managed to piss off the nurses, the cops, and the firemen. The only union he hasn't managed to piss of are the prison guards union -- the one union that really needs to be taken on.

He has three initiatives that he's pushing for in a special election that should be coming up in the near future sometime. None of them are polling well. He recently announced his bid for reelection, but enthusiasm is slim. If these initiatives go down in flames he may decide that he doesn't really want to run for reelection next year.

If he runs, he has to pander to the right-wing base in California (and yes there is a serious GOP presence, just as conservative as the ones you find nationally) which he did not have to do in the recall election. He will be forced to do things like not sign the gay marriage bill that will make him totally unelectable when it comes to the general election. This has been typical of the GOP lately in this state. They can't get a candidate out of the primary who isn't pro-life, anti-union, anti-immigrant etc. Those don't sell well to the general population.

Bottom line is, he's very vulnerable right now. But don't count him out. He has powerful backers, and access to huge sums of money. There is no real good strong opponent to rally behind as of yet, although there are at least one on the horizon.

4. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Probably Michigan's gov. Jennifer Granholm. All she has managed to do is hemorage jobs and blow the budget completely out of the water.

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You forgot about the teachers. They're very unhappy with him. The only reason people elected him was because they wanted something new, something different, and all they're getting is more of the same. Catchy slogans only work so long before they begin to wear thin.

Whoever runs against him will win without a problem. Unless it's Kerry. My vote is Gary Colemon.

6. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Grrr, don't get me started with him... He sometimes makes me feel ashamed that I'm a Californian (Hey, our governor is the Terminator!). Since when do Hollywood stars get to be the head of the most powerful state in the US?! Thats Effi'n CRAZY! We really are that stupid. I guess we Californians wanted the novelty of electing a "Governator" :rolleyes: ... And now look, he's lied right to our face. Disgusting.

7. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

8. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I just hope he finds a way to piss them off:

Attached Files:

9. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Gray Davis was the epitome of what the Democrats had sunk to. Davis had no vision, no goals, and no incentive. The only goal Davis appeared to be working on was furthering his own political career.

Ahnold started out as what seems to be the epitome of what the Republicans have become, a party that provides effective front men for corporate interests.

Unfortunately, the alternative was not so bad as to allow Ahnold to succeed.

The funding required to win a political election is a real problem that has yet to be recognized or addressed.

The more money it takes to win an election, the more people you are beholden to. Whether it be in a good way, or a bad way.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Well, thats what happens when you elect someone with no political experience, born outside of the US, to run a state :rolleyes:

Sometimes I wish Hollywood would break off from the US and become it's own seperare country. And then they can elect politically-retarded movie stars all they want.

11. tristan macrumors 6502a

You guys could replace him with Jesse Ventura. :D

12. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

well, he should've gone back in time and killed off his political aspirations/career. It would've saved alot of people time and trouble.

Sunglasses and leather outfits need be involved, possibly motorcycles.

Go with what works. Make a bunch of cash, then influence the political process with it. Don't becomepart of the political process.

a random, rhetorical opinion.

13. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Born within the country, born without, it really makes no difference. It was all about Ahnolds ego from the beginning. The same probably applies to Davis, both are more concerned with themselves than the people they claim to represent.

The fault lays in those who chose not to care enough to elect effective leaders. No one of any note ran against Ahnold though.

14. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Hollywood can't even get it together enough to become its own city. I won't hold my breath waiting for it to secede from the Union. ;)

Lethal

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ah you're right. I had a whole paragraph ready to go on that one and forgot to include it. My wife will be righteously pissed, since she is one of those pissed off teachers who are facing the prospect of it becoming tougher to get tenure just as she is becoming eligible for it.

Both of us agree that the tenure system at the primary and secondary education level could use some tweaking. But all Arnold offered was to make it harder to get tenure with nothing in return. Duh, that's a loser. Offer tenured teachers a pay hike in exchange for making it harder to get. Then you'd at least have most of the qualified teachers on board. But who's going to support an effort to make their own lives harder than they already are for no benefit?

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Ah, but he was good. ;)

And yeah, both my parents are teachers. Between Bush and Arnold, it's just making it harder and harder. It's almost like they want to privatize the education system or something.

Nah, they'd never try to do that.

17. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

He's bad. He's been taking lessons from bushco and doesn't allow any dissent at any gatherings he attends. There was the well documented photo op of filling in potholes, only this particular pothole was made intentionally. The real ones continue to go unfilled. He's turning Medicaid into a bureaucratic nightmare.

The sad thing is that as has been said, he's good at raising money and the next election will be pretty ugly. Not sure who will be running yet but whoever it is it will be avery messy and ugly election.