iPad mini How is the 512MB RAM on the iPad mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by leonw, Nov 29, 2012.

1. macrumors member

leonw

Coming from ipad 1, I'm considering the mini. The display won't be a big deal for me, not used to retina. I'm more bothered by the 512mb RAM. My ipad1 with only 256mb is crashing quite a lot lately,Opening apps take more and more time, not to mention the constant reloading of safari tabs. I won't use the mini for gaming but some iMovie editing might be to heavy on the RAM maybe as well? And how is the reloading of tabs in Safari on the mini and opening of apps?
    Now that the mini is out for some time, how are your experiences?
    Thanks

2. macrumors 603

Menel

3. macrumors regular

My ipad mini reloads safari tabs quite a bit sometimes, depending on the amount of apps opened.

4. macrumors 65816

I love my iPad mini and glad I switched from the IPad 2, I think you'll enjoy it as well.

5. thread starter macrumors member

leonw

Thanks. I'm coming from ipad1 not ipad 2, so I don't know how it is on that one...

6. macrumors 68040

thadoggfather

Ipad 1 to mini sounds like a mind bending upgrade

7. macrumors G3

Since no one is answering directly. I have an iPad 2, with the older CPU, and its fine. It doesn't crash but the tabs reload sometimes. In real world usage it's been fine.

8. macrumors 65816

Well I haven't had any tabs reload on me yet using Mercury browser. That was one of the things I was most concerned about coming from an ipad 3. I have 5 tabs open ATM and none of them are refreshing when I switch tabs. That doesn't directly answer the tab thing in Safari, and perhaps 5 tabs aren't enough for someone who multitask a lot but it works for me. Apple needs to address the font size to get me to go back to Safari.

9. macrumors 6502a

Ayemerica

I agree with the font thing 100%. I am using mercury browser right now

10. macrumors regular

I use Mercury Pro browser. No problems with reload on my Mini

11. macrumors 6502a

I have Safari with eight tabs, and none are reloading when I switch between them.

This is with seven apps open including Line2, Mail, and Pandora playing in the background.

I'm not saying Safari never reloads tabs. Just that I've never had it be problem.

12. thread starter macrumors member

leonw

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like the reloading of tabs isn't a big issue at least. Wondered how apps heavy on RAM, like iMovie f.e., behave: crashing, slow??
    About the font size in Safari: there is a bookmarklet that allows you to change fontsize. Works great. Found it in some thread on this forum. Can't remember which one but here is the link to the bookmarklet:

http://marcos.kirsch.com.mx/2012/04/29/font-size-bookmarklets/

13. macrumors 601

I've had no crashes

On the ipad 3 that needed more ram , it was crash city

14. macrumors newbie

I also came from iPad1 and have absolutely no problem with the 512, I play graphic intensive games without a hitch, I love my mini so much I just bought one for the wife for Christmas...You will love it

15. macrumors 65816

This. It fine but could be better with more memory.

16. macrumors 6502a

You don't say? Brilliant analysis!

17. macrumors 6502

This. Safari reloading, freezing while loading. Owned a couple of them and it was frustrating.

18. macrumors regular

I came from an ipad 1 too. My mini feels worlds better with the extra ram. Sure i wish i had more but with the first ipad i couldnt have 2 tabs open and switch to a different app and then switch back without the tabs reloading. Sure i always want more ram but i think this is great.

19. macrumors 6502

Came from an iPad 3 that had serious probs with crashing. Mini is fine, no issues at all.

20. macrumors regular

21. macrumors member

Hasn't been an issue for me on my mini at all. I've noticed Safari reloads tabs sometimes but that about it.