How is there no solid Google Talk app out there?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod touch Apps' started by OrangeCuse44, Feb 5, 2010.

1. macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

This amazes me every time I search in the App store for a Google Talk program. Forget Beejive, $10 bucks for a mix bag of results (according to many reviews) is not for me. Just a simple Gtalk app with push is all I'm looking for and the few apps available seem to all have 3 or less star reviews. Am I missing something here?

2. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Apparently Jessica doesn't know what she's talking about. Google Voice and Google Talk are two completely different things.

She must live under a rock.

4. macrumors 604

anjinha

Have you tried eBuddy?

5. thread starter macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

As nice as usual, thank you.

I have not, looks interesting. I wonder why that has never showed up when I did a search. Do you use it?

6. macrumors 604

anjinha

I don't, but it has good reviews. Also I searched for GTalk instead of Google Talk.

7. macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Two options...

Well, you could jailbreak. Google's Voice app is on Cydia and works well.

Or you could point your iPhone's browser to http://www.google.com/talk and enjoy much of the same functionality through the wonders of HTML5. Press and hold the + button to make an app-ish icon out of it.

BTW, it's not clear if it's Apple itself or objections from AT&T that's blocking it from the App Store. It also had the misfortune of going through the review process just as Google's back-stabs against Apple were emerging into focus, with the coming of Android, Chrome, ChromeOS, etc., and the ejection of snake-in-the-grass Eric Schmidt from Apple's board.

8. macrumors 65816

rKunda

I think Beejive works really well, especially with Google Talk. The only problems I've had have been with facebook chat (which, I believe was a problem with facebook for a time).

9. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Likely you are right, link to the app will help. Regardless, I don't think either exist. Nice rock btw. ;)

10. thread starter macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

He is right. Google talk and voice are completely different. Do you have the ability to ever admit a mistake or is it just the being completely nasty to people you will never meet that you enjoy so much?

11. macrumors 6502

They're both right. Google Talk is basically Jabber. It's Google's instant messaging service.

Google Voice is their telephone forwarding/voicemail/sms service.

The next release of Trillian for iPhone will be rockin. You may wanna look into it. It's in beta now and I have a copy due to an odd push messaging bug they wanted to test and track down. so I've been trying it out. Really well done.

12. macrumors 601

gloss

Beejive works like a charm for me.