How is this done?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mac Rules, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Mac Rules macrumors 6502

Mac Rules

Hi guys n girls

Well this is my first official thread! Unfortunatly I'm without a Mac, but after the WWDC, I might pick up one of the new MBP's.
    Anyways, I was scanning through youtube, when I came across this video, could somebody tell me what this guy is doing to ge the Mac to do what it is, such as the transitions beetween desktops etc. I know the front row but, but if somebody could help, that'd be great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySLSos33QLc&search=Apple computers

Cheers

2. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

i'd like to know how to do the whole desktop rotating thing as well.

Thats nice

3. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

oh.. that's virtue desktops, set to the cube transition.

I installed it along with slapbook.. now I just hit my powerbook and switch between screens. :D

4. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

I believe that's using DesktopManager or some variant, to manage virtual desktops. This supports Core Foundation transition effects such as the cube.

It can also be combined with SmackBook, if you have a model to support such features.

EDIT: Beaten, beaten, beaten like a wascally scallywag. And Virtue Desktops is what I was trying to say, but somehow it came out all wrong...

5. drumpat01 macrumors 6502

drumpat01

he is using one of the following programs:

virtuedesktops

or

desktop manager

they both allow you to rotate the screen to show "new" desktops, then rotate back.

6. Mac Rules thread starter macrumors 6502

Mac Rules

But wouldn't having multiple desktops kill speed incredibly, like seriously kill it?

Cheers

7. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

No, virtual desktops are simply there to organize your programs. In this way you can have a full screen of Safari running, switch the desktop and work on other things without disturbing Safari or having it disturb your Photoshop session. And then switch to the Safari desktop to view some sites, etc, etc, etc.

It's a similar concept to screen spanning, only using one monitor. It's nothing at all like Fast User Switching where it duplicates processes for each user logged in.

8. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

that's why you buy more RAM. :)

9. xPismo macrumors 6502a

xPismo

Video stalled out during the last 15% but its fun reading the reactions.

I'm always impressed at how many people don't know how much is incorporated into OS X. Universal access is awesome stuff for viewing embeddded videos full screen.

Or inverse, if you want to.

The virtual desktop thing is an interesting concept, but I can have all the same functionality with hiding and expose and spotlight.

Still, a better way than fast user switiching. YouTube is such a time sink.

10. Mac Rules thread starter macrumors 6502

Mac Rules

I suppose its worth installing, just to impress, just in case OSX in itself didn't manage to do it...lol

I don't think it would actually be that useful, Expose should do the job...

This is a little off the topic, but will the new MBP be able to support 4Gb by any chance, and/or will the graphics card be updated?

Cheers