How is this for a buying plan?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sikkinixx, Oct 25, 2006.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I am talking in early 07 but it never hurts to think ahead :D

Right now I have a 3 year old PC that I hate, a lovely viewsonic LCD and a macbook. I share the PC with the parents, although they only use it for emails, web browsing, etc. I use my macbook for university stuff.

My uncle wants to buy my macbook from me early next year because he wants a laptop to go with his iMac (i dont get why but whatever) but he can't really justify spending $1200 on one.

I want the extra power from the Macbook Pro for some games and such. The increased size isn't a big deal because the MBP isn't all that much bigger than a MB, while the screen real estate is nice and the aluminum casing is divine.

I am thinking, i sell the macbook to my uncle, flog off my PC for a few hundred bucks and get the parents to pitch in (since they need a computer too). With that I buy a Mac Mini and a 15 inch MBP.

This way I will have a desktop replacement for me, and a good little mac for my parents that I can also use. I already have a nice monitor and a slick keyboard and mouse so I don't need the whole iMac setup, nor do I need it's power as my parents will never push a macmini to its limit. I don't need to buy a brand new mini either, I could get an outdated model (hopefully they update them in a while) for cheaper since it's just a web browsing, emailer anyway.

I realize its a while off but I wanna plan out how much it will cost (give or take a bit due to new model pricing etc.) now.

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Prices on new models tend to stay about the same but the specs get better. Unless your parents are knowledgeable, think about getting Applecare for their machine. My mother loves that she can call them whenever she wants and get all her little questions answered.