How is this iPod so cheap?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by scem0, Oct 30, 2004.

1. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

all I'm asking for this christmas is an iPod, and I'm pretty sure my parents won't pay for something more than $300. But I've found an iPod 40GB, 4th gen. for $330, however I'm skeptical of it.

Here is the link: http://www.northstarta.com/

scem0

2. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

It's a tripod website.. I would be reluctant to send money to a "company" that can't (or won't) be bothered to find and maintain reasonable hosting.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yup, Tripod hosted website, selling anything = scam to me [​IMG]

4. Jsmit macrumors regular

Not an authorized reseller and order page is not secure. Be very skeptical.

5. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

I am.

I won't buy from this site unless I find some reason to trust them later, which I doubt I will.

scem0

6. newton213 macrumors member

It isn't

It's a scam. If you want budget iPod, check Apple's Special Deals section in their store. If you're a student or teacher, you can also get more of a discount. And if you have an Apple retail store near you, they have specials on open box products, but it's pretty rare for an actual iPod to be put out, usually just accessories. But I've seen open box specials on current iPods at Best Buy, even. Just look around, or think eBay. $300 will still get you the 20 Gig iPod, ya know, but I'm sure you don't want to settle. Just a few suggestions!

7. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

One legit-looking store I've been looking at is ipods4less.com.

They are a definite option, and I found them via an ad on MacRumors! :D

scem0

8. KevRC4130 macrumors 6502

That site looks very legit. The only catch is that they're 3rd Gens (what is pictured on the site) and not the newest 4th gen. However, I have a 3G and personally I prefer the button layout over the 4G, the only thing that keeps me from saying it is better is the much improved battery life. Also to keep in mind, the 3G comes with a nice case, remote, and dock on all 20+ gb ones. The 4G only comes with a dock on the 40gb.

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

PowerMax sometimes has some used and refurbished (or last gen) iPods. Plus they're in Oregon, so no tax and cheap shipping (and no, I don't work for them, just been happy with them so far). It's where I got my mini when no one else had them (though I was on a list for a couple of months).