How is your Apple Store displaying the Mini?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ebook, Jan 25, 2005.

1. ebook macrumors 6502

I know that the Mini is new, and that there probably aren't very many of them in the pipeline yet, but I was somewhat dissapointed in seeing how they were displayed at the Apple Store in Des Moines last night. I guess I also realize that the would probably rather sell an iMac or Book that the Mini...but come on...they had one mini in the front corner of the store and it took me a few minutes to find it. The just had one poster when you walked in and that's it. I would think that at the mall you would want one of these in the windows or at least easy to find when you walk in so they could grab any potential switchers. So, how are they displayed elsewhere?

2. Xenious macrumors 6502a

Same configuration for Houston, TX. One Mac mini in the front corner hooked up to a 20" lcd. One poster behind the genius counter.
    -jim

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

In the Orlando store, it was the 3rd machine into the store, on the left. However, we had been almost out the door when we finally saw it. It had a 20 inch monitor attached but it was certainly invisible. It's not as if they should put up a huge red and yellow arrow pointing to the machine, though. You wouldn't want that really, would you?

The only iPod shuffle was around an employee's neck.

It's good to see that Apple is having good times.

4. mpw Guest

Can't get to an AppleStore but my local Apple re-seller(1st, only and newly opened just last November) has none in stock. He also has no iPods of any flavour just 1 12" PBook, 1 14" iBook, 1 of each iMac and an eMac that's not out the box. No iPods due for at least a couple of weeks and he doesn't sell software.

When he opened AppleUK said it was probably the best looking store they'd seen bar Regent Street. I guess it's easy to get that minimalist look with empty shelves!

He does have a huge range of 3rd party iPod accessories and tat.

5. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

In the Charleston, SC store they've got a giant inflatable Mac Mini out front.

(*sigh*)

No. We in fact do not have an Apple Store nor do we have any Apple reseller within 100 miles of here.

6. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Apple is treating the Mac Mini and iPod Shuffle like that used car you see advertised for $5. They are cheap, so they draw people into the store, and are either sold out or hard to locate. Then, the friendly Apple Store personnel are there to lure you into purchasing an iMac or PowerMac, or an iPod mini or Photo. :D

7. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

Is it really that low-key in America?? How strange.

Here in the UK in nearly every big town they're parading huge styrofoam models of the Mini on carnival floats, with the Dagenham Girl Pipers leading the way, followed up by the Chelsea Pensioners (in full regalia) letting off a 21 gun salute at all major road junctions.

You yanks really ought to learn how to big things up.

8. ebook thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh come on you kidders ;) I wasn't expecting anything huge, I mean we don't have commercials for any computers...but, I would have hoped they would at least have placed one or two out on the tables in the middle of the store to promote how small the thing really is. As I sat in the food court and fed my son some squash and cheerios (yum!!!) I watched about 15 iPods go by in about as many minutes, now I doubt that all of the them were Mac users, but the might be interested in the Mini if the walked past the Apple Store and saw one in the window. I mean we know they go for the fashion of the product because all the iPods were displayed promently in plain view as a fashion statement not just tucked away in the pocket!

...That being said, I think it would be great to see a giant Mini ballon at this years Macy's Day Parade!!! :rolleyes:

9. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

That last post just gave me an idea....When my Mini arrives I'm going to get a backpack with a portable battery box, folding keyboard and a trackball on a tray in front of me that is attached to suspenders, then attach a 7" LCD to an arm extending from my hat, then attach a belt clip to the back of my mini and walk down the street while working on my Mac at the same time! WOOHOO!

Hmmm....maybe too much coffee today

10. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

One stuffed in the corner hooked up to a 17 " monitor w/ no speakers...lol... I tried to show my brother garageband & iTunes & well, let's just say it was missing something- SOUND !!! lol...

11. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Maybe they are not so heavily advertised in the store so someone doesnt just walk up to one and place it under their hats and walk out :rolleyes:

Except at my local apple store its hooked up to an iPod photo dock so whenever they show some1 an expensive iPod photo, they see this little computer its hooked up to...

hey, I just realized - if you got a baseline Mac mini and top of the line iPod photo, which'd have more space?? lol

12. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

As my "local" Apple store is a long way away in London i have no idea.

And its not exactly like Brum land is any closer either.

:( :( :( :( :( :(

13. deral macrumors regular

deral

I know what you mean. I went to go look at it on Saturday, and left dissapointed that I could not find it. I went back and amazingly they (Ala Moana Store) had three on display. They were just so small, youdda thought ya never see'd it.