Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IndoX

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
I accidentally bumped my iPhone against the edge of the MacBook when moving it and I got a tiny scuff mark on the bottom of the phone. It really does scuff easily.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I'm not sure I get your point, it shouldn't get scratched that easily IMO so I agree, take it back. I wish we could leave politics out of this crap.

Hah, OK. Here's my point: he dropped his phone, but it's Apple's fault, and oh, BTW, he wants a different color. He changes his story, seems overly picky, & he seems to be looking for a reason to exchange since he changed his mind about his color choice.

The statement wasn't political; it just involved a politician. Get over it & don't be so sensitive.

:eek:

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
Mine had 2 tiny nicks out of the box. It has been naked since and hasn't gotten any more marks. So I'd say it's holding up well.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
My black 5 has a couple of small circular scratches on the back's bottom glass strip. Not sure how they got there but they weren't there when I took it out of the box. It was probably something I put it down on.

However, I'm not going to get too OCD about the back of the phone. If I keep it naked, I'll probably get a Zagg or something for the back (and a PowerSupport or Spigen for the screen).

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
I decided to buy AppleCare+ this time around and go naked. I've always had cases with my previous iPhones, and I figure I've spent more than $100 in cases on each iPhone.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
My black one is still fine. I do have it in a slip case when I put it in my bag or pocket. However, since the case was designed for the 4/4S it is slightly short. None the less, I do not see any discernible marks on it and I have not been exactly gentle with it. It has been slid across granite countertops, oak kitchen table, and restaurant tables all naked and still scratch free.

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle
it hit a rock, it's not like it hit pure carpet and scratched. and if you think one scratched that easily why return it for another, it will do the same thing.

why should they replace something that is his fault? if you throw a rock at your car and it scratches the paint are you going to take it back to the dealer and say repaint this?

Uh yeah, if I felt the flaw was with the paint process itself. If everytime a rock hit my car and I got a paint chip i'd be pissed. We aren't talking about rocks the size of golf balls but normal pebbles.

Mordo

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2011
I haven't got mine yet, but I definately get a cover for it. The reason is that I had to replace my my iPhone 4 because the wake button stop working after I droped it naked. Next one will have protection in case something like this ever happen again.

nevesis

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
I went to the Apple Store last night and looked closely at every single phone on display.

NONE of them (white or black) had any scuffs, or scratches on the back or the sides.

I even did a few tests on the edges of the table, and the surface. Nothing.

These phones are not nearly as fragile as I first thought they were from reading everything on here.

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
Black 32GB, no defects out of the box. Just noticed the first sign of wear this morning on the chamfered edge screen side just below the lower volume button. Doesn't jump right out at you but it's not to hard to spot if your looking for it.

Forgot to mention no case

Last edited:

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
I went to the Apple Store last night and looked closely at every single phone on display.

NONE of them (white or black) had any scuffs, or scratches on the back or the sides.

I even did a few tests on the edges of the table, and the surface. Nothing.

These phones are not nearly as fragile as I first thought they were from reading everything on here.

Right, because a phone tethered to a table simulates real world use. :rolleyes:

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
So let me make sure I've got this right: your phone shipped fine, you dropped it and scratched it, but it's somehow Apple's fault, so now you want a replacement and a different color on top of that?

Your entitlement is stuff Mitt Romney secret videos are made of. (I realize you probably don't get that, but you can look it up.)

hahahahahahahahahahaha

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Right, because a phone tethered to a table simulates real world use. :rolleyes:

i think his point is that they arent as fragile as people on here make it out to be.. of course it isnt a real world use.. :eek:

people on here hype it up like it being in the same pocket with your keys will scratch it.

misterjay

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
I just threw on a Incipio Frequency and thats that

Waste of money to use a screen protector imo.

Namji

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
You guys ever hear of Sarcasm?? LOL... The guy was not serious at ALL...

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
i think his point is that they arent as fragile as people on here make it out to be.. of course it isnt a real world use.. :eek:

people on here hype it up like it being in the same pocket with your keys will scratch it.

How are they making it out to be more fragile than it really is when it's damaged out of the box??? It can not even be put together without damage.

2SwiFt29

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2008
Besides the original scuff from out of the box, so far nothing huge. However, I noticed 2 tiny metal dings on the same side of the scuff and not sure if this was from out of the box or not. I don't remember putting it on anything that would scuff the side of the phone. However, I feel I need a protective screen on the front and back for sure.

Cowboy1629

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Indiana
Mine has been naked since it came out of the box on 9/21 and no blemishes yet. I do plan on putting a rubber bumper on it just as I have on the last 3 iPhones I have had. This is just for the griper feeling I get from it more so than protection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.