Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phanofwclark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2005
I just thought about this, and it kinda makes sense (to me at least...). iTunes should offer songs in surround sound for a higher price (2 dollars, maybe even 2.50). Think about it. The music industry starts offering songs in 5- 6- or maybe even 7- (and in the future, for full THX, 24-) channel surround sound, and so Apple can, in my opinion, legitimately raise their prices and have an acceptable reason. Jobs, maybe, is happy because he has a permissible reason to raise prices, and the music industry gets to make some more money.

There may be flaws in this, but i certainly wouldn't mind spending a little more money (hopefully not another 1.50, but .50 to even 1 $ wouldn't be too bad) to get surround sound, high quality downloads from the iTMS.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
Is the music industry willing to record at that high a level? And besides, to really enjoy it, you would need to listen to your music on your computer, through your stereo, using USB/Firewire speakers or some fancy new Airport Express.

My listening is skewed 95/5 in favor of my iPod over PB. And when I use my PB, it is through the headphones or the built in speakers. Maybe one half of one percent of my listening is through the stereo. What do I care if the music has 50 channels?

I'm not everybody, but I just wonder how many people are like me.

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2005
Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
If you need any proof that the public couldn't really care less about such a proposition, may I remind you that iTunes are encoded in 128 kbps AAC?

Audiophiles did not buy 600 million songs. Audiophiles probably didn't even buy a million of those.

Surround sound songs at a higher price would not be an acceptable compromise for either party.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.