How large are movie files?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sonoran, Jun 18, 2008.

1. macrumors member

I am planning on getting a 16GB iPhone in October when my Sprint contract is up. I have an 8GB Nano right now & I have almost all my music fitting in 8 GB. So a 16GB iPhone would give me space for other 'stuff'.

If I wanted to have a movie or two on my iPhone to watch on an airplane how much space will a 2 hour movie use up?

2. macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

it really depends on the quality of the movie, but I'd say at a great quality it's about a gig per hour.

3. macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

itunes about a gig per movie or just over, DIY 700mb is easy

4. macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

If you're talking about movies purchased from the iTMS, they typically come in around a little over 1GB.

If you're ripping movies from your own DVD collection, it depends on how you compress it and what resolution you size it to. I've ripped several of my movies with Handbrake to the screen size of the iPhone and around 700Kbps video bit rate and I can get a full movie to around 700MB usually.

5. macrumors 65816

You can get your own movies half the size of Apple's ones, because Apple's movies have a resolution of 640x480, while the iPhone screen is only 480x320.

6. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks to all for your prompt replies. That is why I like this forum.

Followup question: How would I go about ripping a DVD I own to play on an iPhone? I am not a big movie fan so if I were travelling I would probably rip something I already have rather than buy one from iTunes.

7. macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Do a google search for "handbrake" and you'll find all the information you need.

8. macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Handbrake makes it easy.

9. macrumors regular

handbrake (free) dvd ripper gives you all kinds of options for format output (like iPhone) and music/video quality so you can limit file size.

10. macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Are you on a Mac or PC?

11. macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Use Handbrake, I have a custom preset as I wanted DVD quality that plays on the iPhone, AppleTV and iMac. My files are 2.5Gb to 3.5Gb on average (depending on if movie is new/old and action scenes). I have 6 Movies and 800Mb of Music and sill have 700Mb available on a 16Gb.